Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Worztron wrote: »
    Does sunlight kill the CV? E.g. If a house had a south facing door - would UV light kill the virus on the door handle?
    Technically yes, but not fast. More like hours/days, so just clean it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,822 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mikeym wrote: »
    She's 21 and shes drinking in a field.

And has a kid.

Shes a good role model.

I wonder is she registered with Tusla

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Why is lukewarm water + soap better than cold water + soap? I notice in a HSE leaflet that came with the post yesterday, says 'lukewarm' water.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I wonder if 'Social Distancing' should be renamed 'Physical Distancing' since ee can be social without being in physical contact - e.g. phone calls, video calls, online gaming, etc.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I wonder if 'Social Distancing' should be renamed 'Physical Distancing' since ee can be social without being in physical contact - e.g. phone calls, video calls, online gaming, etc.
    This is one of my pet peeves too. Ultimately what we need is physical seperation. Social distancing sounds almost like something someone in a corporate office would come up with as an alternative to touching base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

TheChizler wrote: »
    This is one of my pet peeves too. Ultimately what we need is physical seperation. Social distancing sounds almost like something someone in a corporate office would come up with as an alternative to touching base.

and most definitely no 'reaching out' :mad:

Can someone be asymptomatic, never get sick and still infect others?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Absolutely so.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Yes, a few studies out there showing that some asymptomatic patients who were tested were found to have a viral load equal to or higher than symptomatic patients.

I wonder if many CV transmissions are happening on public transport?

• Advertisement

Which is why we need to test test test, I think we should test everyone

171 cases for Cork city and county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Luap wrote: »
    Carry Out still open.

Only In Ireland

In Oregon, the state government has deemed the marijuana shops to be essential retailers. Moreover, they’ve decided that to reduce the need for people to leave their homes, the marijuana shops are now permitted to do home delivery. So it’s not “only in Ireland”. Sorry but it winds me up when people come out with that line.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Yes, a few studies out there showing that some asymptomatic patients who were tested were found to have a viral load equal to or higher than symptomatic patients.

Hi Kerry25x. I heard someone mention that someone that is asymptomatic could have allergies/hay fever and sneeze plenty - passing on CV with ease.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Which is why we need to test test test, I think we should test everyone

Oh dear God. We would need another 5 million test kits, and the lab capacity to do the analysis. Even the Koreans can’t manage that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cantalach wrote: »
    Oh dear God. We would need another 5 million test kits, and the lab capacity to do the analysis. Even the Koreans can’t manage that!

But we NEEEEEED it!

Please don't let logic get in the way of citizens being pandemic control experts.

Seriously, why are people looking for this advice on boards.ie? And why are people answering. All the information you could possibly want is on the Dept of Health website. What you read over there has been written or fact-checked by an actual doctor. The DoH and the WHO have both called out the masses of amateur information flowing around on social media as one of the biggest issues they face in dealing with this crisis. When are people going to cop on? Don’t ask. Don’t answer.

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/c36c85-covid-19-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi Kerry25x. I heard someone mention that someone that is asymptomatic could have allergies/hay fever and sneeze plenty - passing on CV with ease.

Are you advising mass panic?
    If not, what was the point of your anecdotal, fear mongering post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

cantalach wrote: »

Testing the entire population over the next 8 weeks, say, would require over 85,000 tests a day. We are hoping to get to 15,000.

Not to mention that there's nothing stopping you from contracting it on the way home from getting your negative test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone been out around black pool or ballincollig? Are the shops. Very busy?

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone been out around black pool or ballincollig? Are the shops. Very busy?

There's photos of the queue for Dunnes in Blackpool on Facebook. Goes right through the shopping center and snakes out around the carpark. I wouldn't be going shopping today if you can help it at all, hopefully people will settle down again in another couple days.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1331346680384817&id=451516185034542

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

There's photos of the queue for Dunnes in Blackpool on Facebook. Goes right through the shopping center and snakes out around the carpark. I wouldn't be going shopping today if you can help it at all, hopefully people will settle down again in another couple days.

Ok thanks.

I find this guy (Dr John Campbell) to be an excellent educational source: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg

Why is lukewarm water + soap better than cold water + soap? I notice in a HSE leaflet that came with the post yesterday, says 'lukewarm' water.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Went to Mahon this morning, and dropped into Aldi and Dunnes on the way back. There were queues for Tesco all right, but it went only half way down the car park on the top deck. All very orderly, people kept their distance and were laughing and joking with the doorman and each other. Bit of a queue for Dunnes, but not too bad. Walked straight into Aldi. Staff on the door asking you to clean your hands and wipe over the basket.

Very well organised by all the stores concerned. Thanks and Well done to all for a great job. Can't be easy.

Anyone?

Coronavirus has a fatty outter layer, hot water dissolves fat better than cold water. It also helps gets a better lather on your soap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Local shops (Centra/Spar) around my area closed just now. George's Quay, Oliver Plunkett Street.

Are they just closing earlier?

Are kids supposed to stay in home as well? I saw 5 kids playing soccer on the road for hours today, playing chasing and hiding out in peoples gardens, ball going into peoples gardens, it's also a busy thoroughfare for walkers. Surely the parents the supposed to keep them in the house or garden

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    Are kids supposed to stay in home as well? I saw 5 kids playing soccer on the road for hours today, playing chasing and hiding out in peoples gardens, ball going into peoples gardens, it's also a busy thoroughfare for walkers. Surely the parents the supposed to keep them in the house or garden

They should absolutely be inside.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They should absolutely be inside.

That's what I was thinking, the parents have a total disregard for this lockdown

Advertisement