Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

biko wrote: »
    If you can drive to the shops you can drive to NCT
    Bad comparison.
    Irish car owners are not compelled to drive to the shops, they are for the NCT. It is the current requirement if your test is due, irrespective of your health and immune system, that you need to get your car tested at a private NCT centre. And you will need to bring back the car to the testing centre again next month (through no fault of your own) after they get their lifts fixed.

Next month by the way should see us possibly at the height of the virus curve, which is a terrible time to be required to go back to the NCT centre.
    It is a ludicrous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If you can drive to the shops you can drive to NCT

Thats one of the dumbest statements boards has seen to date.

The OP is concerned about Corona and trying to avoid something non essential (NCT). Food is essential (Going to the shops).

Also as pointed out, when the OP goes to the shops there will not be anyone in their car pawing around at multiple touch points increasing the risk of the infection spreading.

The UK actually has it right this time where everyone gets some leeway on their MOT and we should have the same, however Ireland being Ireland it is guaranteed someone will take the piss with such leeway.

Try not to be so condescending in future. People are worried and do not need your attitude.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My husband's NCT has been cancelled twice now. First one was last Thursday and just as he was heading out the door to the test centre, his phone rang and they told him they would have to reschedule for "operational reasons". Rescheduled test was for yesterday evening and on Tuesday he got an email saying it was being cancelled for "operational reasons". So now he's booked in for next Thursday morning.

His NCT was up on the 20th. Fortunately he can work from home most days but now if he's going in to work he has to take my car just in case. I don't know what's going on. It's the Greenhills centre that he's booked for.

Toots wrote: »
    My husband's NCT has been cancelled twice now. First one was last Thursday and just as he was heading out the door to the test centre, his phone rang and they told him they would have to reschedule for "operational reasons". Rescheduled test was for yesterday evening and on Tuesday he got an email saying it was being cancelled for "operational reasons". So now he's booked in for next Thursday morning.

His NCT was up on the 20th. Fortunately he can work from home most days but now if he's going in to work he has to take my car just in case. I don't know what's going on. It's the Greenhills centre that he's booked for.

Surely he'd be fine in this case if he can provide the garda with the cancellation emails. He has made the effort and the NCT are the ones cancelling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Surely he'd be fine in this case if he can provide the garda with the cancellation emails. He has made the effort and the NCT are the ones cancelling it.
    I understand what you are saying, but is the NCT test so mission critical that we have to resort to showing our police force cancellation emails?

We should never have to be in this position of having to show busy protectors of the State emails that a private company sent to motorists about test cancellations.
    When did common sense (by the authorities) go out the window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

There is no difference at all.

No nct is no nct. Half nct is no nct.

That's the whole point.

Scrap it for a month or two at least. There is no point.

Kivaro wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying, but is the NCT test so mission critical that we have to resort to showing our police force cancellation emails?

We should never have to be in this position of having to show busy protectors of the State emails that a private company sent to motorists about test cancellations.
    When did common sense (by the authorities) go out the window?

We shouldn't be in the situation but we are. At least if you have the paper trail on your side a judge will throw out the case and give the garda a good bollocking (although I don't see it coming to that)

wonski wrote: »

That's the whole point.

Yes but if someone has evidence that they at least tried to get through it and it was the NCT center's fault they couldn't, they should be okay if they can prove it.

I can't imagine a judge convicting you unless the car was deemed a death trap at the side of the road and without NCT for a very long time.

If only recently out and in good condition you would imagine all will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I need two new tyres for a retest, at least I have 28 days. Wonder what will happen to people who were to test in the next two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep there is going to be chaos. The enforcement of the nct has to end for the next few months. even a two week lay off will knock on for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Asmodean wrote: »
    AFAIK the Westport centre is still open. You're just not allowed hang around in the waiting room. The full inspection is only being carried out in Ballina and Galway at the moment due to the issue with the lifts.

You can still make an appointment and get all the other points checked but you will need to return at a later date once the lifts are back in service. Had mine done last month and still waiting for the call-back.
    You were right. When I arrived I was told it wouldn't be a full inspection. They did the rest but car failed on three points:
    --cloudy headlights, got those sorted today
    --dip beam needs to be adjusted
    --driver's side window not opening.

The driver's window has been a problem ever since I bought the car. Works sometimes, or sometimes it opens but I can't close it. Hope mechanic can sort that out. Said to drop it off Wed or Thur to address both of those issues.

So I made a return appt - Ballina was available for Monday week for retest. That was this Friday afternoon before Leo's announcement at 9PM. I presume all test centres will be closed now for at least two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

leck wrote: »
    I presume all test centres will be closed now for at least two weeks?
    Or just check their website
    COVID–19 Update – Further to the Government’s announcement of Friday evening 27th March, extending public restrictions in response to the Coronavirus, the NCT will not be opening for business on Saturday 28th March. Pending a further review on Saturday following Government clarification of essential services a decision will be made in relation to the future delivery of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Or just check their website

It now says that they are reopened tomorrow 29th.wonder if people will be charged for not getting tested today

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dominicbond

I have an NCT booked for early next April. The disc is valid until 25 April.
    I see the NCT centres are still open. If the car fails no garages are operating, I may avail of a call out service though. Since call out services lack equipment the car may not be able to be repaired. Therefore can I cancel the test, store it on a privately owned (owned by house constructor) but publically accessible road and use my wife's car? When normality resumes may I drive it to the NCT centre with an expired disc and then drive to the garage if it fails?
    Thank you.

There is a lot of unknowns there.
    Do you have reason to think the car will fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Thats one of the dumbest statements boards has seen to date.

The OP is concerned about Corona and trying to avoid something non essential (NCT). Food is essential (Going to the shops).

Also as pointed out, when the OP goes to the shops there will not be anyone in their car pawing around at multiple touch points increasing the risk of the infection spreading.

The UK actually has it right this time where everyone gets some leeway on their MOT and we should have the same, however Ireland being Ireland it is guaranteed someone will take the piss with such leeway.

Try not to be so condescending in future. People are worried and do not need your attitude.

The OP never mentions corona or going to the shops...wtf?
    Thread has gone OT with not one but two mods contributing to it.
    Is every thread just gonna be corona corona corona?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

A good pal of mine has a lend of a car I own. Hes had it first a couple of weeks,yester6he called his insurance co to extend his temporary cover. Insurance co refused because there is no test on the car. The car passed the partial test about 4 weeks ago,since then its original test has expired( they had no issue insuring it then) and it would appear its uninsurable,at least with his company.

Personally I'd have kicked up stink

There's also a thread on this in the coronavirus forum. MOD - maybe two threads should be combined?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058063154

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

Latest: https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0328/1126954-coronavirus-tracker/

The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross, has said National Car Testing Service (NCT), as well as the Commercial Vehicle Testing System are suspended until further notice.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Notice on NCT site is still business as usual. They need to get their act together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Not wanting to start yet another thread...any thoughts on declaring your vehicle off the road for the foreseeable...???....anyone doing it..?...
    Anyone heard any leniency from the gov if your car is parked up for months wasting the road tax..??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dominicbond

After the confusion due to the statement on the NCT site, there is now an update shutting the centres. That will be a weight off our minds.
    Take care and stay safe everyone!

COVID–19 Update – The Minister of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross and the RSA have confirmed that the National Car Testing Service (NCT) is suspended until further notice with immediate effect. This is in order to comply with the new public restrictions to tackle the spread of the Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

While I didn't and don't have a lot of time for Minister Ross, I'd have to be fair and say that some of the other ministers have more than enough on their plate right now, and discussing the implications of NCT's CVRT's and other motoring issues would have been well down the agenda in comparison to the issues of too many people dying on a daily basis.

They might not be popular, but to be fair, they've done a pretty impressive job over the last few weeks in terms of getting things sorted in a big hurry, and they manage to come across as a lot more competent and capable than some of the other people we are seeing on both sides of the Atlantic.

As for where this goes long term, that's anybody's guess.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

No NCT, you shouldn't be driving. If the shops are too far to walk, a lot of places are pushing delivery services now.

Ahh yeah sure...
    NCT hardly can be done anywhere since the beginning of the year, due to some ridiculous situation where company chosen by government to proceed those tests is clearly not fit to perform this task. It's totally ridiculous that in a country with over 2.5 million cars there's no backup for tests - just one testing company.
    And even more ridiculous is that considering this situation with inablitity to obtain a test + having a country at standstill, that law requiring to have valid NCT is still fully operational, and possibly some mad gardai are enforcing it, and even more ridiculous that some posters on boards are advocating it.

A reiteration of the news

https://www.ncts.ie/1115
    The Minister of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross and the RSA have confirmed that the National Car Testing Service (NCT) is suspended until further notice with immediate effect. This is in order to comply with the new public restrictions to tackle the spread of the Coronavirus. For more details see here

VRT and NTA services are also suspended.

Further information for customers will be provided over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

wonski wrote: »

That's the whole point.

Not true.

My NCT is a few months out of date.
    Went for my test last month , failed on light allignment and didn’t get a lift inspection.

Sorted the lights bought back for the retest. Still no lift inspection. Was given the report with an incomplete test stamp. And was told that I can drive with that report.

ted1 wrote: »
    Not true.

My NCT is a few months out of date.
    Went for my test last month , failed on light allignment and didn’t get a lift inspection.

Sorted the lights bought back for the retest. Still no lift inspection. Was given the report with an incomplete test stamp. And was told that I can drive with that report.

It's still true. You can drive with that report. I can drive without it.

We are both without nct. So are thousands other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

From the NCT website (its been a week now so I would have hoped there'd be some proper information and clear answers, but it would appear not) :rolleyes:
    6 My current NCT has expired or expires shortly, can I still drive my vehicle without an NCT?

The Government have suspended NCT testing and are asking the public to stay at home and only drive vehicles for essential business.

7 Will not having a completed NCT impact on my car insurance?

As the public restrictions prevent customers from having an NCT, we understand the Insurance industry have taken a pragmatic position. Please check with your Insurance Company to confirm.
    6 - they pose the question themselves - but fail to answer it. If its essential business is it ok to have an expired test?

7 - pragmatic position? Irish insurance companies?!

My test is now expired. Did the first part a couple of weeks ago while the disc in my window was still valid, passed, but no lift inspection. No idea when I can get the rest of the test done. My wife's car is due for a test in May - had it booked in nice and early mid-April, and with the centers shut down its now been cancelled.

I have little choice but to drive it now - I have to get to work and there's no public transport option. So I now have to hope that (a) I'm not involved in any accident as I don't trust the pragmatic approach and (b) hope I don't get stopped at a checkpoint by a Garda who's having a tough day :(

I understand that a number of posters think that it's not a huge deal with everything else thats going on at the moment, but when you're one of those people who still has to go to work then it's not a nice position to be in. Because buying another car with a longer test, in the hopes that things will eventually return to normal, really isn't an option.

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    From the NCT website (its been a week now so I would have hoped there'd be some proper information and clear answers, but it would appear not) :rolleyes:

6 - they pose the question themselves - but fail to answer it. If its essential business is it ok to have an expired test?

7 - pragmatic position? Irish insurance companies?!

My test is now expired. Did the first part a couple of weeks ago while the disc in my window was still valid, passed, but no lift inspection. No idea when I can get the rest of the test done. My wife's car is due for a test in May - had it booked in nice and early mid-April, and with the centers shut down its now been cancelled.

I have little choice but to drive it now - I have to get to work and there's no public transport option. So I now have to hope that (a) I'm not involved in any accident as I don't trust the pragmatic approach and (b) hope I don't get stopped at a checkpoint by a Garda who's having a tough day :(

I understand that a number of posters think that it's not a huge deal with everything else thats going on at the moment, but when you're one of those people who still has to go to work then it's not a nice position to be in. Because buying another car with a longer test, in the hopes that things will eventually return to normal, really isn't an option.

I am in the same boat as you, and just stopped worrying about it and kept driving.

Now if things go wrong somewhere, and I hope not, then we will worry, but at that time just don't.

Was stopped today going back from St James Hospital earlier by Garda and no questions were asked about nct or tax. Just where I am going and why.

Quick look at my passenger in the back seat and just answered we go back from hospital.

Waved on. It was pretty obvious case, though.

I have a letter from work, have a person to take care of for a while giving lifts to and from hospital. Hopefully just two more trips next week and that's all.

Back seat, no chit chats on the way. I stay in the car or just walk around without approaching anyone.

Have to go to work 5 days a week too and the NCT just became non issue now. I am sure Gardaí will understand. Insurance companies we will see. Mine is tpft so not really affected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement