Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19 - Irish Gaming

• 26-03-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭

There are obviously more important things going on at the moment but I have seen some comments and questions across multiple threads about new releases, deliveries, delays, closures, etc. so thought it might be good to have 1 place to discuss.

Have many people pre-ordered games through Gamestop and Smyths locally or Amzon,etc. from UK? Are they being honoured or cancelled?

Digital is the safest way to go but looking at €70 rrp instead of 55 or 60 from shops. Are you going digital or holding out for physical copies being delivered?

The Game Collection has announced it will only be shipping games within the UK for the time being.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    There are obviously more important things going on at the moment but I have seen some comments and questions across multiple threads about new releases, deliveries, delays, closures, etc. so thought it might be good to have 1 place to discuss.

Have many people pre-ordered games through Gamestop and Smyths locally or Amzon,etc. from UK? Are they being honoured or cancelled?

Digital is the safest way to go but looking at €70 rrp instead of 55 or 60 from shops. Are you going digital or holding out for physical copies being delivered?

The Game Collection has announced it will only be shipping games within the UK for the time being.

Watching the sales on PS mostly and picking up bits here and there - have a backlog of stuff to get through though so the urge to buy is quite low. As for Gamestop, they will never get another cent of money from me for putting their staff at risk, branding themselves as "essential" to stay open. Gamestop haven't been "essential" for anything in about 14 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was planning on getting Resi 3 next week from Smyths (55 euro), clearing it in a week and selling or trading it for most of that back and getting Final Fantasy 7 for 60.

Getting them both digitally will be 130 euro so I think I'll have to go ahead with my plan of b&m, placing an order with Smyths and miss launch day for both titles. Still deciding but I really really wanna play FF7 on launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I was planning on getting Resi 3 next week from Smyths (55 euro), clearing it in a week and selling or trading it for most of that back and getting Final Fantasy 7 for 60.

Getting them both digitally will be 130 euro so I think I'll have to go ahead with my plan of b&m, placing an order with Smyths and miss launch day for both titles. Still deciding but I really really wanna play FF7 on launch.

Not in a mad rush for FF7 myself - from what I've heard of it, it stops after Midgar with a further release to continue the story some months to a year from now. Midgar can be cleared in about 2-4 hours from what I remember, no way would I put 60 bucks down for something that short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Not in a mad rush for FF7 myself - from what I've heard of it, it stops after Midgar with a further release to continue the story some months to a year from now. Midgar can be cleared in about 2-4 hours from what I remember, no way would I put 60 bucks down for something that short.

Just to clarify, yes the game stops after Midgar but they've made that 2-4 hour block in the original span closer to 40 hours now. The remake is not a shot by shot graphical upscale, it's intended to be a re-imagining of the original

I've a pre-order coming from square enix store and thinking about ordering a few bit from Amazon. The impression I've been given is things will get here, just slower.

As others state, if there was ever a reason to tackle a backlog, this is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I've RE3, Last of Us 2 and Elden Ring pre ordered for Click and Collect in Smyth's. I like my fiver off. All Click and Collect orders cancelled. Don't know if that applies only for games that release while they are ordered to close or it literally means all orders. I've asked them to amend my RE3 order to home delivery but they haven't got back to me yet.

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    As others state, if there was ever a reason to tackle a backlog, this is it

Exactly. I started Darksiders 2 the other day. Have it there years.

I'm still working though. We were told yesterday we are considered "essential service".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The only pre-order I have at the moment is the Collectors Edition of The Last of US 2 which I will be picking up from my nearest Gamestop should it re-open. If not, hopefully they'll post it out.

I don't know what to do about Resident Evil 3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I'm still working though. We were told yesterday we are considered "essential service".

Well you are a doctor after all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I have RE3 and TLOU2 on pre-order pickup with GameStop via their trade in deals. Still owe a bit on each for the balance. Hoping I can pay the balance online/by phone and they'll post them out...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Mutant

Has there been any update on the people who preordered in store.

I preordered ff7 deluxe edition with 20 left to pay on it. Just hoping they release an update allowing us to pay over phone or finish order online and have it posted out.
    Dont minded waiting past release date just hoping someone has heard about an update.

• Advertisement

Update from SE on Final Fantasy VII
    As we prepare for the release of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE on April 10, we wanted to keep you updated on how the proactive measures being taken to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus are likely to affect the distribution and retail landscape in western regions at launch.

As you will be aware, many countries are limiting entry or closing their national and state borders and restricting the distribution and delivery of non-essential items. Understandably these restrictions are being implemented so that essential items can reach their destination as fast as possible.

This does not mean that box copies of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will not be dispatched, it just means that we cannot control the date the game may arrive.

In many countries and states, retail stores are closing to help with social distancing measures. If you placed a pre-order with one of these retailers, we advise you to check their websites for the latest information about the status of pre-orders, as well as pick-up and/or delivery information. Please ensure your mailing address and contact details are up to date, as some retailers have begun contacting customers with delivery updates.

Finally, we are currently making arrangements to ensure that pre-orders from the SQUARE ENIX STORE reach you by April 10.

We are working hard to ensure as many of you as possible can play the game on April 10 and will update further when we have more information.

Thank you for your continued support and most importantly, stay safe.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I don't know what to do about Resident Evil 3 though.
    Pre-ordered this from Base for my One X. I went for the copy with the lenticular sleeve. Len-tic-ular *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Playing the last of us again now in preparation for TLOU2, whats happening outside with the Corona virus is definitely helping with the intensity of the combat, really feels like the last few weeks have made me more understanding of the damage a contegious virus could do. Once I complete it again RE3 remake is next.

Might be a stupid question but why are physical games cheaper than digital games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Might be a stupid question but why are physical games cheaper than digital games?

AFAIK it’s because publishers want to keep game stores on side as they’re still a big part of the whole industry. So basically new release digital games are the same RRP as the retail ones, but inevitably a few businesses are happy to cut that RRP a bit to be competitive (often ones where games aren’t the only source of revenue - unlike GameStop, where it is the main source).

Also, publishers like money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭spideyman92

Seems trivial with everything going on but it's annoying that Gamestop aren't even operating an online and delivery store now after Leo's announcement. Had Persona 5R preordered but that's all kind of up in limbo now. It's only a fiver on the preorder so could try amazon but their delivery times are either 2 weeks away or pay for priority shipping and get it in 1 week.

Seems trivial with everything going on but it's annoying that Gamestop aren't even operating an online and delivery store now after Leo's announcement. Had Persona 5R preordered but that's all kind of up in limbo now. It's only a fiver on the preorder so could try amazon but their delivery times are either 2 weeks away or pay for priority shipping and get it in 1 week.

Could you not try Smyth's? They still taking online orders albeit for home delivery. Usually a lot cheaper than Gamestop too.

Could you not try Smyth's? They still taking online orders albeit for home delivery. Usually a lot cheaper than Gamestop too.

Did they mention any specific delivery delays other than An Post. Tempted to order resi 3 with them.

Did they mention any specific delivery delays other than An Post. Tempted to order resi 3 with them.

No mention of delays and expected delivery date is 3rd. I think issues will arise shipping games into the country though so not expecting it for a while.

• Advertisement

No mention of delays and expected delivery date is 3rd. I think issues will arise shipping games into the country though so not expecting it for a while.

For Friday release dates, some shops get the deliveries on the Tuesday so will see next week how incoming shipments look.

Zero, did you order your copy from Smyths?

I actually hadn't tried Smyths but can't see it listed on their website anyway. Maybe P5R is too niche for them?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I don't see shipments of re3 or ff7 being delayed coming into the country. All trade travel is still in operation.

Smyths looks like best best if ordering now

Amazon will not get here until after April 21st as they are not allowing non essential items into their UK warehouses for the moment

I actually hadn't tried Smyths but can't see it listed on their website anyway. Maybe P5R is too niche for them?..

It's possible I suppose. When is it out? They didn't have Sekiro on their Website for ages. I emailed them and they said they wouldn't be getting it in. About a month before release it was suddenly added. Maybe contact them and ask if they will get it?

It's possible I suppose. When is it out? They didn't have Sekiro on their Website for ages. I emailed them and they said they wouldn't be getting it in. About a month before release it was suddenly added. Maybe contact them and ask if they will get it?

Release date is 31st March. I'd say even if it was there it wouldn't work. Smyths website says they aren't taking any online orders. The preorder button is there on games that haven't released yet but it's impossible to get anything that is released so doubt it would work.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Zero, did you order your copy from Smyths?

No, still thinking about it. Will see how next week looks before ordering. If looking dodgy, I'll go digital but I'd prefer physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've a few preorders with GS but can't see them surviving this seeing as they were already on shaky ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Crap, Smyths not taking any online orders and have cancelled all click and collect orders

GameStop no longer taking orders either.

What's the likelihood of Tesco and SuperValu getting games at thr moment?

• Advertisement

Crap, Smyths not taking any online orders and have cancelled all click and collect orders

GameStop no longer taking orders either.

What's the likelihood of Tesco and SuperValu getting games at thr moment?

Supervalu is a good shout but absolutely no idea. Will keep an eye out.

Advertisement