Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blow the Man Down

Options
  • 24-03-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

No cinema release; on Amazon Prime.
    See this if you can, especially if you like low-budget indies; this one is almost all-female driven: written and directed by two women, with mainly female actors. It's essentially a crime drama that takes its time, but keeps your interest all the way, with lots of clever touches. Quite a satisfying ending as well.

506826.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Looks alright.the trailer gives off a fargo feel to it.ill be watching it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Looks alright.the trailer gives off a fargo feel to it.ill be watching it tonight.
    Ya, I saw a quote as "not quite Fargo with lobsters, but...".
    Well worth a look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, I see Margo Martindale is in this: a criminally underrated actor on American TV. As it happens, just finished Season 2 in a rewatch of Justified. She's absolutely magnetic & brilliant as Mags Bennett.

Not sure what to make of the film from the trailer though; comes off a little cheap, or maybe that's just me. I'm guessing folk are beginning to scroll down the list on the streaming services ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah, I see Margo Martindale is in this: a criminally underrated actor on American TV. As it happens, just finished Season 2 in a rewatch of Justified. She's absolutely magnetic & brilliant as Mags Bennett.

Not sure what to make of the film from the trailer though; comes off a little cheap, or maybe that's just me. I'm guessing folk are beginning to scroll down the list on the streaming services ;)

I watched the film after reviews, but not a trailer guy, so didn't see this 'til now. I'm not sure I would have watched it after the trailer though. It makes it seem like it's trying too hard to be funny; it's not that kind of film, and it's more kinetic than the slowish pace it has, especially the whimsical music- which works brilliantly in the film itself. It's low-budget as I mentioned, but rather than feel cheap, it really makes you feel like this is immersing you in a modern Moby Dick novel- cold, and everything about fish. But amid all this starkness, there is lots of sly humour.
    Margo Martindale was fantastic in it- it did make me rethink about her role in Justified, and how well cast she was in this.
    The girl on the left in the red had is also the daughter in The Good Wife.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah, I see Margo Martindale is in this: a criminally underrated actor on American TV.
    That's Acclaimed Character Actress Margo Martindale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

ixoy wrote: »
    That's Acclaimed Character Actress Margo Martindale!

Didn't she rob a bank once?

Advertisement