Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New HAM First QSO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you, do let the thread know, its an annoying wait.

I remember sitting mine, we lived in the South of the UK at the time and my mum drove me to Matlock in Derby to take the test (it was the last minute venue for the UK). I was 14 at the time (in the 70s) and the results took months and like you I was positive I failed, by the time they came through (I passed) I had discovered girls, and it was 30 years later before I applied for my licence.

Thanks SlowBlowin. I can only imagine how hard the full test in the UK was back then? And you were only 14?? :eek:

Girls v Radio...there was only going to be one winner back then...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Shyboy wrote: »
    I can only imagine how hard the full test in the UK was back then? And you were only 14?? :eek:

The exam was 3 hours long in the this big hall at the main post office, no multi choice, heres the paper I sat (the power of the internet):

http://www.g4dmp.co.uk/rae/rae1976m.pdf

It was a City and Guilds qualification. Then there was morse code too, but that was another place and another day.

Edit: No calculators, only pen and paper.

The exam was 3 hours long in the this big hall at the main post office, no multi choice, heres the paper I sat (the power of the internet):

http://www.g4dmp.co.uk/rae/rae1976m.pdf

It was a City and Guilds qualification. Then there was morse code too, but that was another place and another day.

Edit: No calculators, only pen and paper.

Thank God that wasn't the test I did yesterday. I think I would have given up..:eek:

I received the Comreg Elicencing email this morning to say that an account has been set up for me. I believe this is the first step from Comreg.

Are you informed by Comreg of the results by separate email or are you informed via the Elicencing account?

I know it is less than a week since the test, so was not expecting to hear a thing at all this week?

I received the Comreg Elicencing email this morning to say that an account has been set up for me. I believe this is the first step from Comreg.

Are you informed by Comreg of the results by separate email or are you informed via the Elicencing account?

I know it is less than a week since the test, so was not expecting to hear a thing at all this week?

You have to keep check in your Comreg account, this is where you will see the information.

Will be any day now. That's actually fast. If I remember correctly once my account was set up I had my license that night.

Once I applied for the EI I got it 30 mins later.

Best of luck !

• Advertisement

You have to keep check in your Comreg account, this is where you will see the information.

Will be any day now. That's actually fast. If I remember correctly once my account was set up I had my license that night.

Once I applied for the EI I got it 30 mins later.

Best of luck !

Thanks Mad_Lad. Yes, I was thinking it is fast to have the elicencing account already.

I did log in and look under qualifications, and it says none as yet, so will keep an eye on it over the next few days. I am really not confident that I have passed, but at least knowing one way or another will be great.

Thanks Mad_Lad. Yes, I was thinking it is fast to have the elicencing account already.

I did log in and look under qualifications, and it says none as yet, so will keep an eye on it over the next few days. I am really not confident that I have passed, but at least knowing one way or another will be great.

I was doubtful too but I passed so stay positive ;)

Once the account is set up it it shouldn't be long. So look again tonight, it was evening when I got the results.

I was doubtful too but I passed so stay positive ;)

Once the account is set up it it shouldn't be long. So look again tonight, it was evening when I got the results.

Well...after checking a number of times this evening, I received my results...

And I am SHOCKED and DELIGHTED in equal measures...

Section A: 80%
    Section B: 60%

I have Passed!!! :eek::D

Cannot believe I scraped Section B literally on the line...got 18/30...

I am stunned but over the moon!! :D

I applied for my licence via the online account and got my EI 30 mins later.

I was so convinced that I had not passed, I did not go out and buy any gear as yet, apart from a 2m handheld that won't pick up too much here in Co. Galway. We did have a local repeater, but it was switched from Analogue to DMR a few months ago. :(

Can't wait until I get some proper kit and make some contacts. :)

Fan, fecking, tastic !!!!

Congrats.....

Still going to get first QSO nerves tough.....

Fan, fecking, tastic !!!!

Congrats.....

Still going to get first QSO nerves tough.....

Thanks SlowBlowin, still in shock to be honest. I really thought I had failed section B and had estimated a result of about 50% if I was lucky.

The first QSO nerves have already kicked in a bit, but mixed with lots of excitement too. :)

• Advertisement

I was so convinced that I had not passed, I did not go out and buy any gear as yet, apart from a 2m handheld that won't pick up too much here in Co. Galway. We did have a local repeater, but it was switched from Analogue to DMR a few months ago. :(

Well done, delighted ! :D

yes the whole process is quick once you get the registration email and I also had the EI 30 mins later.

Have you got in mind what kit you want to get ? I spent way too much this year already.

If you have the space I highly recommend the myantennas.com EFHW-8010, it's 40 meters long but I get great results with it, doesn't need radials and is not inefficient like a normal end fed with 9:1.

Definitely a great antenna to get started with.

Radio ? Anything really, If you have the money the IC-7300 is a good radio you could have for many years.

The Yaesu FT-450 is another good one.

The 20 watt Xiegu G90 is a great little SDR Radio you can get for 450 Euro's from Sinotel.co.uk

The Yaesu FT-891 is a great little Portable 100 Watt radio with great noise reduction better than the IC-7300, can get it cheap enough 2nd hand.

So many options can spend large or not.

I felt like an idiot making my first QSO and most People are just fine once you tell them you just got your license, they're be happy to hear a new ham for sure.

Oh , I forgot, if your garden is tight, you can get a 5 band EFHW from hyendcompany.nl it's 20 meters long, covers 80,40,20,15 and 10 Meters but with tuner I got it to work 160 m and 17 M and I was surprised how well it works on 160m ( it's 20 meters long lol ), was talking to guy the other day in Canada with 20 watts.

So many options, be interested to hear what you are interested in getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Well done, delighted ! :D

yes the whole process is quick once you get the registration email and I also had the EI 30 mins later.

Have you got in mind what kit you want to get ? I spent way too much this year already.

If you have the space I highly recommend the myantennas.com EFHW-8010, it's 40 meters long but I get great results with it, doesn't need radials and is not inefficient like a normal end fed with 9:1.

Definitely a great antenna to get started with.

Radio ? Anything really, If you have the money the IC-7300 is a good radio you could have for many years.

The Yaesu FT-450 is another good one.

The 20 watt Xiegu G90 is a great little SDR Radio you can get for 450 Euro's from Sinotel.co.uk

The Yaesu FT-891 is a great little Portable 100 Watt radio with great noise reduction better than the IC-7300, can get it cheap enough 2nd hand.

So many options can spend large or not.

I felt like an idiot making my first QSO and most People are just fine once you tell them you just got your license, they're be happy to hear a new ham for sure.

Oh , I forgot, if your garden is tight, you can get a 5 band EFHW from hyendcompany.nl it's 20 meters long, covers 80,40,20,15 and 10 Meters but with tuner I got it to work 160 m and 17 M and I was surprised how well it works on 160m ( it's 20 meters long lol ), was talking to guy the other day in Canada with 20 watts.

So many options, be interested to hear what you are interested in getting.

Congrats Shyboy & welcome to the mad world community of ham radio ,

some good advise ^ , & I'm sure you know about https://www.eham.net/reviews/ if you want to check out before buying,

https://ukantennas.co.uk/?v=d60f753e9835 are another good source for aerials but maybe you consider the home brew route ,

Enjoy the hobby and well done once again , 73

orm0nd wrote: »
    Congrats Shyboy & welcome to the mad world community of ham radio ,

some good advise ^ , & I'm sure you know about https://www.eham.net/reviews/ if you want to check out before buying,

https://ukantennas.co.uk/?v=d60f753e9835 are another good source for aerials but maybe you consider the home brew route ,

Enjoy the hobby and well done once again , 73

They look like the same as the myantennas.com and hyendcompany antennas, they use the 49:1 Unun that seems to be the magic with these antennas and of course the core materials of the ferrites.

Thanks for the link to ukantennas, definitely extremely attractive prices for sure ! I'll bookmark that.

https://ukantennas.co.uk/product/multi-band-end-fed-antenna-with-mounting-bracket-80-40-20-17-15-12-10m/?v=79cba1185463#reviews

IF shyboy has the space, 40 meters, then I'd highly recommend the antenna in the link above. These end feds with 49:1 just work very well indeed, the my antennas.com reviews, the reviews on hyendcompany site and of corse eham itself are all extremely positive and of course my own reviews :D

Homebrew is always good if the time is available.

If space is a limiting factor then I highly recommend the hyendcompany MK III 5 band 80-40-20-15-10 M Antenna, 20 meters long but adds 80 Meters and I got it to work 160m and 17.

https://www.hyendcompany.nl/antenna/multiband_8040201510m/product/detail/3/HyEndFed_5_Band_Black_Clamp_MK3/ready#form

So much fun haha :D

They look like the same as the myantennas.com and hyendcompany antennas, they use the 49:1 Unun that seems to be the magic with these antennas and of course the core materials of the ferrites.

Thanks for the link to ukantennas, definitely extremely attractive prices for sure ! I'll bookmark that.

https://ukantennas.co.uk/product/multi-band-end-fed-antenna-with-mounting-bracket-80-40-20-17-15-12-10m/?v=79cba1185463#reviews

IF shyboy has the space, 40 meters, then I'd highly recommend the antenna in the link above. These end feds with 49:1 just work very well indeed, the my antennas.com reviews, the reviews on hyendcompany site and of corse eham itself are all extremely positive and of course my own reviews :D

Homebrew is always good if the time is available.

If space is a limiting factor then I highly recommend the hyendcompany MK III 5 band 80-40-20-15-10 M Antenna, 20 meters long but adds 80 Meters and I got it to work 160m and 17.

https://www.hyendcompany.nl/antenna/multiband_8040201510m/product/detail/3/HyEndFed_5_Band_Black_Clamp_MK3/ready#form

So much fun haha :D

Thanks Mad_Lad & orm0nd. As I was genuinely not expecting to pass this time, apart from a Yaesu FT-65E 2m/70cm handheld I picked up a few months back, I haven't got any proper kit as yet?

Unfortunately, here in Co. Galway, there isn't too much going on 2m or 70cm analogue. We did have a local repeater, but it was converted to DMR only a few months back, so can't use that. There is anther repeater in Galway City, so I will either have to put up a vhf base antenna or bring the handheld into the city to see if I can do a first QSO? :)

But my plan is definitely to get a HF rig. As Xmas is coming up, being allowed by "her indoors" to spend big money will not go down very well, so might have to wait until early Jan to sweeten the deal. :(

Thanks so much, guys for the info on rigs and antennas. I will certainly have a look through all this stuff over the next few days and let you know how I get on. Maybe even have a QSO with you both at some point in the near future when I am up and running properly :)

Yeah have to keep the XYL happy and yes, it's coming close to Christmas, not hard to forget considering how fast the time goes....

There's so many options and you don't have to start out with expensive kit.

I just had a PSK31 QSo with a chap in Serbia, "YT1DL" 20 watts with the Xiegu G90 and the hyendfed 20 meter long EFHW in the sitting room while watching the news , digital is great sometimes when you're in the sitting room with the XYL. :D

Shyboy, when you get sorted create a new thread, it will be interesting to see your thread and shack evolve.

Hope to hear you on the bands soon.

Shyboy, hows it going with the Radio ? are you on much, antenna, your setup ? Curious lol, most of all are you having fun ?

I was expecting an update by now lol

Shyboy, hows it going with the Radio ? are you on much, antenna, your setup ? Curious lol, most of all are you having fun ?

I was expecting an update by now lol

Hi Mad_Lad,

Apologies that I have not posted for so long. To be honest, the last few months have flown and between one thing and another, I kept on saying "I'll do it next week" (story of my life!!)

Since I last posted back in November, I have been busy, on and off, setting up my shack. I only had my Yaesu FT65E 2m/70cm handheld back then, which was fairly useless as I was too far from the nearest analogue repeater here in Galway.

So, I knew I needed something more powerful. I bought a Yaesu FT8800E 2m/70cm rig, a power supply and a Diamond X-50 antenna and mounted it a few feet above the roof, and wow, I got my first QSO 50 miles away. I also could not only hit the repeater in Galway, but also Mayo and Tipperary. These repeaters are very quiet though, especially Galway which seems dead most of the time.

After Christmas, I decided to dip my toe into DMR, as I am only a few miles from an ex-analogue repeater which has recently been converted to DMR, so I bought an Anytone UV868 handheld. I have only had a couple of QSO's on DMR, but must sit down and play with it more.

My ultimate goal was always the HF set-up, so last month I bought a Yaesu FT450D, and a UK Antennas End Fed Antenna for 40/20/15/10M. I did want the 40m length version for more bands, but did not have the space. I mounted this antenna, with the help of my brother, a few feet above the house, end to end.

I love HF and have had lots of QSO's on 20m and 40m over the past few weeks, Finland being the furthest. I cannot seem to make any contacts further afield at the moment, maybe I will when propagation improves?

Also, this antenna is not supposed to work on 80m, but with the internal tuner on the FT450D, I have got it to work fine.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting quite a bit of noise on the 40m band, probably interference from something either within my house, or locally but it does not affect any other bands? I am currently trying to source where the noise is coming from...

With the current situation which seems to be escalating daily, we may be using our radios more than we anticipated, especially in the event of a full-on lockdown.

Hi Mad_Lad,

Apologies that I have not posted for so long. To be honest, the last few months have flown and between one thing and another, I kept on saying "I'll do it next week" (story of my life!!)

Since I last posted back in November, I have been busy, on and off, setting up my shack. I only had my Yaesu FT65E 2m/70cm handheld back then, which was fairly useless as I was too far from the nearest analogue repeater here in Galway.

So, I knew I needed something more powerful. I bought a Yaesu FT8800E 2m/70cm rig, a power supply and a Diamond X-50 antenna and mounted it a few feet above the roof, and wow, I got my first QSO 50 miles away. I also could not only hit the repeater in Galway, but also Mayo and Tipperary. These repeaters are very quiet though, especially Galway which seems dead most of the time.

After Christmas, I decided to dip my toe into DMR, as I am only a few miles from an ex-analogue repeater which has recently been converted to DMR, so I bought an Anytone UV868 handheld. I have only had a couple of QSO's on DMR, but must sit down and play with it more.

My ultimate goal was always the HF set-up, so last month I bought a Yaesu FT450D, and a UK Antennas End Fed Antenna for 40/20/15/10M. I did want the 40m length version for more bands, but did not have the space. I mounted this antenna, with the help of my brother, a few feet above the house, end to end.

I love HF and have had lots of QSO's on 20m and 40m over the past few weeks, Finland being the furthest. I cannot seem to make any contacts further afield at the moment, maybe I will when propagation improves?

Also, this antenna is not supposed to work on 80m, but with the internal tuner on the FT450D, I have got it to work fine.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting quite a bit of noise on the 40m band, probably interference from something either within my house, or locally but it does not affect any other bands? I am currently trying to source where the noise is coming from...

With the current situation which seems to be escalating daily, we may be using our radios more than we anticipated, especially in the event of a full-on lockdown.

Well at least you're making contacts that's the main thing. :)

The U.K antennas antennas are good they get good reports, get it up high as you can.

My 2nd antenna is the hyendfed.nl 5 band MK III I got from another HAM who didn't want it and I swapped my SDR Play. it's 20 meters long but has a coil for 80M and I need a tuner above 3650 Khz, I could shorten it to be more resonant at around 3700 Khz but I'm not bothered, the radio tuner sorts that out. But the coil would work better than using a tuner on a band that is not resonant. I use the hyendfed antenna for Shortwave Listening and transmitting, I have it hooked up in the sitting room.

Make sure you got a good ground on the coax or at the UNUN.

With this antenna and tuner of the Xiegu G90 I can even work 160M I was astonished, a 20 meter long antenna working on a band that you need a 80 meter antenna, granted not as efficient by a long shot but I got decent reports on it all the same in the U.K.

I like the 450D it's a nice looking radio. You should get years of use from it.

You should be able to make contacts to North America with that antenna with ease.

With my EFHW from hyendcompany.nl I can make contacts to the US and Canada with 20 watts using the Xiegu G90.

I haven't any radios capable of VHF/UHF/DRM I haven't used any repeaters yet.

We should arrange a QSO some night.

Well at least you're making contacts that's the main thing. :)

The U.K antennas antennas are good they get good reports, get it up high as you can.

My 2nd antenna is the hyendfed.nl 5 band MK III I got from another HAM who didn't want it and I swapped my SDR Play. it's 20 meters long but has a coil for 80M and I need a tuner above 3650 Khz, I could shorten it to be more resonant at around 3700 Khz but I'm not bothered, the radio tuner sorts that out. But the coil would work better than using a tuner on a band that is not resonant. I use the hyendfed antenna for Shortwave Listening and transmitting, I have it hooked up in the sitting room.

Make sure you got a good ground on the coax or at the UNUN.

With this antenna and tuner of the Xiegu G90 I can even work 160M I was astonished, a 20 meter long antenna working on a band that you need a 80 meter antenna, granted not as efficient by a long shot but I got decent reports on it all the same in the U.K.

I like the 450D it's a nice looking radio. You should get years of use from it.

You should be able to make contacts to North America with that antenna with ease.

With my EFHW from hyendcompany.nl I can make contacts to the US and Canada with 20 watts using the Xiegu G90.

I haven't any radios capable of VHF/UHF/DRM I haven't used any repeaters yet.

We should arrange a QSO some night.

Hmm, that might be my problem with noise?....I don't have any earth attached to the antenna. To be honest, I didn't realise that it was essential? That shows you how little I still know? Is it easy enough to earth?

Yeah, it would be great to have a QSO one evening that suits you. Just give me a time and frequency?...maybe Friday evening if that suits?

Hmm, that might be my problem with noise?....I don't have any earth attached to the antenna. To be honest, I didn't realise that it was essential? That shows you how little I still know? Is it easy enough to earth?

Yes grounding the Coax is essential, this reduces static on the antenna and helps prevent it getting to your radio which could also damage it.

Usually there is a ground point at the UNUN ( the transformer box your coax connects to ) but this needs to be pretty close to the ground, the Ground wire should be as short as possible. In my case my hyendfed EFHW is up around 40-50 feet at the high point down to about 30 foot on a pole on the chimney then I have the coax grounded before it enters the sitting room.

My other antenna is the myantennas.com EFHW 8010, 134 feet long or 40 meters. This is going to the shack, The UNUN box is about 3 feet off the ground and I have it grounded there and not the coax but it would be no harm to also ground the coax.

The myantennas.com EFHW 8010 starts about 3 feet off the ground, UNUN box there, then around 90 degree angle to a height of about 40 feet in a North/South direction then it turns East to the highest point of about 50-60 feet. Height helps a lot particularly at lower frequencies and the antenna should be around 1 quarter wavelength above ground which is impractical for most on say 160 and 80 meters. So on 80 meters the antenna should be around 20 meters high and on 160 meters it should be 40 meters high.

I get good DX to Central and South America on the myantennas.com antenna, I'm usually on at the right times for there and U.S/Canada is no issue mostly.

So definitely ground that antenna, ground the UNUN or Coax before it enters the shack.

What way is your antenna mounted? and how high is the UNUN off the ground ? and the highest point ?

I'm a big fan of those multiband EFHW with 49@1 UNUN they work great.

Yeah, it would be great to have a QSO one evening that suits you. Just give me a time and frequency?...maybe Friday evening if that suits?

For now Friday works but PM me before, around 21:00 should work for me, it would have to be 80 meters.

• Advertisement

Sorry Mad_Lad, no more than everyone else, it is a bit crazy at the moment, workwise and family-wise, so I have not been able to reply as quickly as usual.

I have the antenna mounted above the house running end to end, with two metal poles/brackets holding it a few feet above the roof, but it is horizontally level so the transformer/unun is very high up, will this make it more difficult to ground?

I have attached a few photos to give you an idea. You can also see the Diamond X-50 and a small airband antenna mounted side by side on another pole.

ut5DVj.jpg

7w8TMI.jpg

There is really is not very much on 2m analogue at the moment and I am kinda finding DMR a little hard to get used to...it is just "different" although I should play around with it a bit more.

I know I took ages to get back to you here, so you might be too busy for the QSO this evening, but any other time you are available should be fine for me. I have managed to get 80m working, but not sure how efficiently? Maybe this would be a good test...

Yes grounding the Coax is essential, this reduces static on the antenna and helps prevent it getting to your radio which could also damage it.

Usually there is a ground point at the UNUN ( the transformer box your coax connects to ) but this needs to be pretty close to the ground, the Ground wire should be as short as possible. In my case my hyendfed EFHW is up around 40-50 feet at the high point down to about 30 foot on a pole on the chimney then I have the coax grounded before it enters the sitting room.

My other antenna is the myantennas.com EFHW 8010, 134 feet long or 40 meters. This is going to the shack, The UNUN box is about 3 feet off the ground and I have it grounded there and not the coax but it would be no harm to also ground the coax.

The myantennas.com EFHW 8010 starts about 3 feet off the ground, UNUN box there, then around 90 degree angle to a height of about 40 feet in a North/South direction then it turns East to the highest point of about 50-60 feet. Height helps a lot particularly at lower frequencies and the antenna should be around 1 quarter wavelength above ground which is impractical for most on say 160 and 80 meters. So on 80 meters the antenna should be around 20 meters high and on 160 meters it should be 40 meters high.

I get good DX to Central and South America on the myantennas.com antenna, I'm usually on at the right times for there and U.S/Canada is no issue mostly.

So definitely ground that antenna, ground the UNUN or Coax before it enters the shack.

What way is your antenna mounted? and how high is the UNUN off the ground ? and the highest point ?

I'm a big fan of those multiband EFHW with 49@1 UNUN they work great.

For now Friday works but PM me before, around 21:00 should work for me, it would have to be 80 meters.

Sorry Mad_Lad, no more than everyone else, it is a bit crazy at the moment, workwise and family-wise, so I have not been able to reply as quickly as usual.

I have the antenna mounted above the house running end to end, with two metal poles/brackets holding it a few feet above the roof, but it is horizontally level so the transformer/unun is very high up, will this make it more difficult to ground?

I have attached a few photos to give you an idea. You can also see the Diamond X-50 and a small airband antenna mounted side by side on another pole.

There is really is not very much on 2m analogue at the moment and I am kinda finding DMR a little hard to get used to...it is just "different" although I should play around with it a bit more.

I know I took ages to get back to you here, so you might be too busy for the QSO this evening, but any other time you are available should be fine for me. I have managed to get 80m working, but not sure how efficiently? Maybe this would be a good test...

Install looks good, no you won't be able to ground the UNUN, it's too high, Ground should be as short as possible.

You really need a good ground and in the pics below is a good way of doing it, they show lightning protectors, you can install these too if you wish.

UCGC-1sm.jpg

gbwm.jpg

Did you say earlier that you hadn't more space for a longer antenna ?

If that's the case you can try at some point the hyendfed.nl 5 band MK III, it has a coil for 80m still not perfect but at least it's resonant on 80m and it would be more efficient than trying to use an antenna not resonant nor near resonant on 80m. It's 20 meters long too so getting on 80 m with a 20 meter long "resonant" antenna is really great. I have used it on other non resonant bands too with a tuner.

What tuner are you using for your antenna on 80m ?

This is the one I have, it was given to me as part of a swap with another ham.

https://www.hyendcompany.nl/antenna/multiband_8040201510m/product/detail/3/HyEndFed_5_Band_Black_Clamp_MK3#prod

It works very well and I have this wired to the sitting room, bandwidth is narrow on 80m but the radio tuner sorts that out, mine has a low SWR up to about 3650 Khz above this I need a tuner, I could take it down to shorten it for lower SWR above 3650 or somewhere in between but it works fine for now, maybe if one of the ropes break up the tree I will shorten it then.

Yes we can try QSO tonight or tomorrow, 80m will be packed but we can give it a go. And if your tuner is an external one we can even try 160m.

I can get my 20 meter long hyendfed antenna to work 80m with my 20 watt Xiegu G90 and got good reports into the U.K. I was very surprised actually, when I said "break" and they said "the break station go ahead please" I wasn't expecting a reply at all on 160 Meters. It's a good band if 80 is crowded.

PM me , I can get on around 9pm+ we can find a freq and pm here and try out 160 m too. I can get on 160 no problem with my 40 meter long EFHW from myantennas.com, I need an external tuner but it works. See if you can tune up on 1980 Khz. 160M would actually be better, less competition for space than on 80m :D

Hi Mad_Lad,

Sorry again, didn't get near anything last night as my wife is now in bed with flu-like symptoms, so for obvious reasons, I am keeping an eye on her, plus kids, etc.

No, I didn't have any room for anything longer than the 20m length antenna that I bought. It would have made it difficult to mount it at that length and there was no way I was going to be allowed to run it into the garden :(

I only use the built-in tuner in the FT450D, which does tune it to 80m, but I have tried 160m, and it gives the message of High-SWR so I'm afraid that it is a step too far...

I do like those lightning arresters/mounts in the photos that you sent. I am a little confused? So, it earthing it for lightning separate to earthing it for noise, etc?

As long as my wife is ok here, I still maybe able to get online after 9.00pm this evening. I will PM you and if that suits you too, we will pick a frequency.

Thanks so much for the help and advice. I still have so much to learn about the hobby. :)

Install looks good, no you won't be able to ground the UNUN, it's too high, Ground should be as short as possible.

You really need a good ground and in the pics below is a good way of doing it, they show lightning protectors, you can install these too if you wish.

UCGC-1sm.jpg

gbwm.jpg

Did you say earlier that you hadn't more space for a longer antenna ?

If that's the case you can try at some point the hyendfed.nl 5 band MK III, it has a coil for 80m still not perfect but at least it's resonant on 80m and it would be more efficient than trying to use an antenna not resonant nor near resonant on 80m. It's 20 meters long too so getting on 80 m with a 20 meter long "resonant" antenna is really great. I have used it on other non resonant bands too with a tuner.

What tuner are you using for your antenna on 80m ?

This is the one I have, it was given to me as part of a swap with another ham.

https://www.hyendcompany.nl/antenna/multiband_8040201510m/product/detail/3/HyEndFed_5_Band_Black_Clamp_MK3#prod

It works very well and I have this wired to the sitting room, bandwidth is narrow on 80m but the radio tuner sorts that out, mine has a low SWR up to about 3650 Khz above this I need a tuner, I could take it down to shorten it for lower SWR above 3650 or somewhere in between but it works fine for now, maybe if one of the ropes break up the tree I will shorten it then.

Yes we can try QSO tonight or tomorrow, 80m will be packed but we can give it a go. And if your tuner is an external one we can even try 160m.

I can get my 20 meter long hyendfed antenna to work 80m with my 20 watt Xiegu G90 and got good reports into the U.K. I was very surprised actually, when I said "break" and they said "the break station go ahead please" I wasn't expecting a reply at all on 160 Meters. It's a good band if 80 is crowded.

PM me , I can get on around 9pm+ we can find a freq and pm here and try out 160 m too. I can get on 160 no problem with my 40 meter long EFHW from myantennas.com, I need an external tuner but it works. See if you can tune up on 1980 Khz. 160M would actually be better, less competition for space than on 80m :D

Hi Mad_Lad,

Sorry again, didn't get near anything last night as my wife is now in bed with flu-like symptoms, so for obvious reasons, I am keeping an eye on her, plus kids, etc.

No, I didn't have any room for anything longer than the 20m length antenna that I bought. It would have made it difficult to mount it at that length and there was no way I was going to be allowed to run it into the garden :(

I only use the built-in tuner in the FT450D, which does tune it to 80m, but I have tried 160m, and it gives the message of High-SWR so I'm afraid that it is a step too far...

I do like those lightning arresters/mounts in the photos that you sent. I am a little confused? So, it earthing it for lightning separate to earthing it for noise, etc?

As long as my wife is ok here, I still maybe able to get online after 9.00pm this evening. I will PM you and if that suits you too, we will pick a frequency.

Thanks so much for the help and advice. I still have so much to learn about the hobby. :)

No bother, I will have my licence a year in May so I have more to learn.

Grounding protects against static which can damage your radio and cause a lot more noise. It also helps to minimise the amount of RF that gets into the shack, though, with a proper resonant antenna this shouldn't happen. With the EFHW and 49:1 UNUN, they work very well on the resonant bands they were designed to work on and don't allow any measurable RF back in the shack however, when you use them on non resonant bands, for instance, 80m on your antenna then the UNUN does not work very well and is more inefficient and can allow the coax to radiate, causing RF in the shack, solution to this would be to add a radial or two 20 meters long at the ground point but, you would need to eliminate the UNUN and this would be a pain in the ass every time you want to work 80m more efficiently so if using the tuner works well then I would just go with that for now, later on you could try the hyendfed.nl 5 Band MK III with the could for 80m, more expensive but would work better on 80m and is 23 meters long around the same size as yours now or a tad longer Or you could make your own antenna for 80m, A Dipole or Double Bazooka works good too, the Double Bazooka is a single band antenna. You could get one here, it's a long antenna and due to the thickness of the wire it won't be so stealthy looking and use your existing antenna for the other bands. Or get one of the hyendfed.nl 8 band antennas which you can select to be resonant on the CW or Phone portion of 80M which would be convenient and all one antenna.

https://wireantennas.co.uk/double_bazooka.html

Symptoms of RF in the shack would be computer speakers buzzing or hearing yourself in the speakers, it can cause touch lamps to turn up and down, on and off, cause televisions to switch on and off, change channels, this happened to me to an old Samsung LCD tv that had one of those poxy touch panels, no physical buttons and this was not RF shielded so I gave it to my Mother and bought an LG without these touch panels. I have air filters in 2 of the bedrooms that have touch panels and when I work 160M it drives them nuts so I plug them out. But once I work on the resonant bands all is good, now if I could have a better ground in the shack this might eliminate this but because it's in the attic I can not have a better station ground or any ground apart from Electric at the socket but this would only be masking the issues of a poorly designed antenna anyway and as I said, I only have some RF when I work 160m on the myantennas.com EFHW 8010.

Grounding helps protect against lightning too and the Lightning protectors are an extra level of protection. If you do use a grounding system like above make sure and seal the coax connectors with self amalgamating tape, water will get in.

I am impressed the tuner in the 450D tunes that antenna on 80m, although it's incorrect to say it "tunes" the antenna, an antenna with poor swr for the band you're trying to work won't work any better with a tuner, it won't make it resonant nor lower the swr from the tuner to the antenna, the only thing the tuner does is make the radio see a 50 Ohm load ( or as close as possible ) to protect the output transistors or valves depending on the radio. Ideally the antenna should be resonant but a tuner allows you to work a band you otherwise couldn't. You can get an external tuner and practice tuning up on 160m and see if it works, I prefer manual tuners, less to go wrong.

There are a lot of HAMS using Dipoles, G5RV etc as a multiband antenna with a tuner but this is not very efficient but it does work and HAMS have been using this setup for decades. An EFHW with 49:1 is a much better setup because it's resonant on multiple bands with no tuner and unlike a normal end fed with 9:1 UNUN ( which is by far the most popular EFHW ) it doesn't need radials or tuner for resonant bands, the End Fed with 9:1 isn't resonant on any band but yet a lot of people never heard of the EFHW with 49:1 UNUN and a lot of People who have can't believe it works without radials or ( the other half of the antenna ) but it does work and works very well. There have been bitter disputes on the QRZ forum with self appointed experts swearing this EFHW is snake oil and is very inefficient and they still refuse to believe they are wrong despite 99% 5 star reviews of the myantennas.com and hyendfed.nl EFHW antennas on eham.net and on their websites.

Anyway, one key point is to get your antenna high as possible. Perhaps taller poles, it doesn't really matter if one end is higher than the other.

Use that garden, if you think you can get a 40 meter long antenna up then do, the XYL won't even notice it. Get it high as possible, this makes a big difference particularly for 40,80 and 160 meters as the potential for DX is much higher with height, when the antenna is lower down the radiation goes more upright and this is good for NVIS communications for up to 1000 Kms, higher up gives better low angle radiation.

You could also look at a vertical Antenna for 40 meters, this is a good band day and night, you will need radials but the lawn will hide these after a year. Get a tilt base, something like this https://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/antennas/product-line/dx-engineering-tilt-base-antenna-mounting-systems?autoview=SKU&N=department%3Aantennas&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

and you can lower it easily by unscrewing a few bolts.

The vertical will greatly help your chances getting DX contacts.

I can get good DX with my setup but it's up high, starts off 3 feet above ground and ends up 50+ North South/East West config, due to trees not being where make it practical for a straight line install this was the best I could do.

Anyway, that was a long post, I hope your Wife gets better soon. If you can get on later PM me if not we can arrange for another time. I haven't been on the last few nights but hope to get on tonight.

Hi Mad_Lad,

Thanks again for the information, I have learned so much in that last post alone. Very interesting that you mention the symptoms of RF in the shack as my daughter was telling me last week that she could hear a voice coming through the speakers on the PC. I did have the radio on at the time, but she says it was not my voice, but a "foreign" one?

I actually contacted Ian at UK Antennas yesterday, as I had heard that he was very helpful with support/advice for his antennas. I also wanted to discuss why the SWR was high for me out of the box. He asked me to send him a few photos of the install and he noticed two major flaws.

The first one being that we have the unun positioned so the beginning of the wire is wrapping around it, not coming directly away from it. This was done totally without realising. He says this is the main cause of my high SWR. An easy enough fix as all I have to do is loosen a few bolts and swivel it.

The second flaw will be more difficult to rectify. He says that I have the end of the wire too close to the bracket, it has to be at least a metre away from it using paracord or nylon rope. He says that he is surprised that it even worked at all?

I don't know how I am going to do this as it will mean that I will have to move the end bracket to allow for the extra metre of rope or the wire will sag down too much? :confused:

Until I can rectify it, I am not going to use the HF rig to be safe. :(

I will keep you posted and we will finally have a QSO once I get this sorted...
    No bother, I will have my licence a year in May so I have more to learn.

Grounding protects against static which can damage your radio and cause a lot more noise. It also helps to minimise the amount of RF that gets into the shack, though, with a proper resonant antenna this shouldn't happen. With the EFHW and 49:1 UNUN, they work very well on the resonant bands they were designed to work on and don't allow any measurable RF back in the shack however, when you use them on non resonant bands, for instance, 80m on your antenna then the UNUN does not work very well and is more inefficient and can allow the coax to radiate, causing RF in the shack, solution to this would be to add a radial or two 20 meters long at the ground point but, you would need to eliminate the UNUN and this would be a pain in the ass every time you want to work 80m more efficiently so if using the tuner works well then I would just go with that for now, later on you could try the hyendfed.nl 5 Band MK III with the could for 80m, more expensive but would work better on 80m and is 23 meters long around the same size as yours now or a tad longer Or you could make your own antenna for 80m, A Dipole or Double Bazooka works good too, the Double Bazooka is a single band antenna. You could get one here, it's a long antenna and due to the thickness of the wire it won't be so stealthy looking and use your existing antenna for the other bands. Or get one of the hyendfed.nl 8 band antennas which you can select to be resonant on the CW or Phone portion of 80M which would be convenient and all one antenna.

https://wireantennas.co.uk/double_bazooka.html

Symptoms of RF in the shack would be computer speakers buzzing or hearing yourself in the speakers, it can cause touch lamps to turn up and down, on and off, cause televisions to switch on and off, change channels, this happened to me to an old Samsung LCD tv that had one of those poxy touch panels, no physical buttons and this was not RF shielded so I gave it to my Mother and bought an LG without these touch panels. I have air filters in 2 of the bedrooms that have touch panels and when I work 160M it drives them nuts so I plug them out. But once I work on the resonant bands all is good, now if I could have a better ground in the shack this might eliminate this but because it's in the attic I can not have a better station ground or any ground apart from Electric at the socket but this would only be masking the issues of a poorly designed antenna anyway and as I said, I only have some RF when I work 160m on the myantennas.com EFHW 8010.

Grounding helps protect against lightning too and the Lightning protectors are an extra level of protection. If you do use a grounding system like above make sure and seal the coax connectors with self amalgamating tape, water will get in.

I am impressed the tuner in the 450D tunes that antenna on 80m, although it's incorrect to say it "tunes" the antenna, an antenna with poor swr for the band you're trying to work won't work any better with a tuner, it won't make it resonant nor lower the swr from the tuner to the antenna, the only thing the tuner does is make the radio see a 50 Ohm load ( or as close as possible ) to protect the output transistors or valves depending on the radio. Ideally the antenna should be resonant but a tuner allows you to work a band you otherwise couldn't. You can get an external tuner and practice tuning up on 160m and see if it works, I prefer manual tuners, less to go wrong.

There are a lot of HAMS using Dipoles, G5RV etc as a multiband antenna with a tuner but this is not very efficient but it does work and HAMS have been using this setup for decades. An EFHW with 49:1 is a much better setup because it's resonant on multiple bands with no tuner and unlike a normal end fed with 9:1 UNUN ( which is by far the most popular EFHW ) it doesn't need radials or tuner for resonant bands, the End Fed with 9:1 isn't resonant on any band but yet a lot of people never heard of the EFHW with 49:1 UNUN and a lot of People who have can't believe it works without radials or ( the other half of the antenna ) but it does work and works very well. There have been bitter disputes on the QRZ forum with self appointed experts swearing this EFHW is snake oil and is very inefficient and they still refuse to believe they are wrong despite 99% 5 star reviews of the myantennas.com and hyendfed.nl EFHW antennas on eham.net and on their websites.

Anyway, one key point is to get your antenna high as possible. Perhaps taller poles, it doesn't really matter if one end is higher than the other.

Use that garden, if you think you can get a 40 meter long antenna up then do, the XYL won't even notice it. Get it high as possible, this makes a big difference particularly for 40,80 and 160 meters as the potential for DX is much higher with height, when the antenna is lower down the radiation goes more upright and this is good for NVIS communications for up to 1000 Kms, higher up gives better low angle radiation.

You could also look at a vertical Antenna for 40 meters, this is a good band day and night, you will need radials but the lawn will hide these after a year. Get a tilt base, something like this https://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/antennas/product-line/dx-engineering-tilt-base-antenna-mounting-systems?autoview=SKU&N=department%3Aantennas&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

and you can lower it easily by unscrewing a few bolts.

The vertical will greatly help your chances getting DX contacts.

I can get good DX with my setup but it's up high, starts off 3 feet above ground and ends up 50+ North South/East West config, due to trees not being where make it practical for a straight line install this was the best I could do.

Anyway, that was a long post, I hope your Wife gets better soon. If you can get on later PM me if not we can arrange for another time. I haven't been on the last few nights but hope to get on tonight.

Hi Mad_Lad,

Thanks again for the information, I have learned so much in that last post alone. Very interesting that you mention the symptoms of RF in the shack as my daughter was telling me last week that she could hear a voice coming through the speakers on the PC. I did have the radio on at the time, but she says it was not my voice, but a "foreign" one?

I actually contacted Ian at UK Antennas yesterday, as I had heard that he was very helpful with support/advice for his antennas. I also wanted to discuss why the SWR was high for me out of the box. He asked me to send him a few photos of the install and he noticed two major flaws.

The first one being that we have the unun positioned so the beginning of the wire is wrapping around it, not coming directly away from it. This was done totally without realising. He says this is the main cause of my high SWR. An easy enough fix as all I have to do is loosen a few bolts and swivel it.

The second flaw will be more difficult to rectify. He says that I have the end of the wire too close to the bracket, it has to be at least a metre away from it using paracord or nylon rope. He says that he is surprised that it even worked at all?

I don't know how I am going to do this as it will mean that I will have to move the end bracket to allow for the extra metre of rope or the wire will sag down too much? :confused:

Yes the pole can cause issues if the end of the wire is too close and depends how you have it tied off, you need to use an insulator at the end of the wire and then tie the other end to the rope that goes to the pole. if it sags down a bit it won't matter.

High SWR can cause your issues with RF, when you get that sorted get a good ground and connect the coax to that like in the pics above and that should sort any small bit of RF.

The "foreign voice" your Daughter described is definitely RF if it was at the same time you were talking on the radio.

Grounding can also reduce your SWR, these antennas are designed with good grounding in mind.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Hi Mad_Lad,

sorry for jumping in here , I'm speed reading the posts and most likely missing something but could you move the end insulator back along the antenna and let the last metre of the aerial hang loose vertically?

Re the Bazooka , they're a good quiet broadband aerial but not worth the price quoted

make 1 up for a few euro with some rg58, a bit of twin lead or 300 ohm ribbon and steal the o/h's breadboard for the centre piece

That's a good idea, with the insulator provided it wouldn't be hanging down too close to the pole.

I'm not sure Shyboy has the space for the Double Bazooka and to be honest, If he has the space for the double bazooka for 80 meters than I would rather one of the EFHW multiband antennas with 49:1 UNUN such as the myantennas.com EFHW 8010 or hyendfed.nl 8 band EFHW which can have the 80m SWR set lower for the lower end or higher end of 80m without adjusting the length of the antenna which can effect other bands on these EFHW with 49:1 UNUN.

They can be made, of course but they are quite tricky to get the SWR in range on all the bands and they perform very well. No tuner, no radials needed and but the core materials of the ferrites is very important with these antennas.

I have the myantennas.com EFHW 8010 and it performs great and I get good DX with it too.

Failing that then the 23 meter long 5 band MK III from hyendfed.nl will get him on 80m more efficiently than trying to use a tuner on his existing antenna without the 80m coil.

I wouldn't be too worried about spending a few quid on a good antenna, plenty of time then after to experiment. Most People spend money on a very expensive radio and don't think much about the antenna.

Hi Madlad,

Thanks for the advice on the long wire.

I dragged my heals, and with all thats going on ended up going with a 132ft Windom in the end (the only one I could guarantee get in time before shipping was difficult).

Same as the one I used to have that got destroyed in the storms. I was going to go with the long wire to make things simpler, I just need to make a better job of the center mast on the windom. I was happy with the results last time.

I am hoping to have it operational next weekend, so if you do get a QSO arranged I might hop in as well if thats OK.

• Advertisement

Hi Madlad,

Thanks for the advice on the long wire.

I dragged my heals, and with all thats going on ended up going with a 132ft Windom in the end (the only one I could guarantee get in time before shipping was difficult).

Same as the one I used to have that got destroyed in the storms. I was going to go with the long wire to make things simpler, I just need to make a better job of the center mast on the windom. I was happy with the results last time.

I am hoping to have it operational next weekend, so if you do get a QSO arranged I might hop in as well if thats OK.

Cool best of luck with it, try get it as high as you can.

Yeah I should be around next weekend. :)

Advertisement