Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Slattsy wrote: »
    What's the definition of a pro punter?

Goat. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Goat. :pac:

Ya probably exactly the opposite of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

BoldReason wrote: »
    Ya probably exactly the opposite of that.

It appears sarcasm does not seem to come out well in text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

It appears sarcasm does not seem to come out well in text.

Haha I knew you were joking. The pac face was a giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

https://mobile.twitter.com/ui_maine/status/1212047697718513665?s=21

Johnny Ward to do a piece on JP’s betting operation

• Advertisement

Hardy weather. Appears to be hail or sleet over at Wolves.

Brendan, or whatever name they're giving this storm could well
    result in abandonments aplenty this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Things have gone downhill for him last few years since Jessie binned him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

The 38-year-old jockey started his horse riding career with renowned Irish trainer Aidan O’Brien and his team at Ballydoyle stables.

In more recent times he rode for Jessica Harrington before leaving her British-based stables about a year ago.
    Jessie's British based stables :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SAYMONUE

Andrew00 wrote: »
    He's not he's just ur average punter. I've been following his account for a while

I'd love a betting shop full of you...

• Advertisement

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/injunction-granted-after-horse-believed-dead-for-a-year-ended-up-being-entered-in-race-tomorrow-38936427.html

February 07 2020 06:12 PM
    A man thought a broken down racehorse his company owned had been put down a year ago but opened a newspaper to find it was entered to run at Naas racecourse tomorrow, the High Court has heard.

Andrew Hughes, manager of Thistle Bloodstock Ltd, was granted a temporary injunction today preventing the horse "The Tartan Spartan" from running in the 3.22pm Hurdle Handicap.

STRANGE ONE

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

BumperD wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/injunction-granted-after-horse-believed-dead-for-a-year-ended-up-being-entered-in-race-tomorrow-38936427.html

A man thought a broken down racehorse his company owned had been put down a year ago but opened a newspaper to find it was entered to run at Naas racecourse tomorrow, the High Court has heard.

Andrew Hughes, manager of Thistle Bloodstock Ltd, was granted a temporary injunction today preventing the horse "The Tartan Spartan" from running in the 3.22pm Hurdle Handicap.

STRANGE ONE

Philip Fenton must have given him a that special mix. ;)

Haha also the times of races look experimental tomorrow think Blake was advocating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Philip Fenton must have given him a that special mix. ;)

Those days are gone.

2014/15 - 20% strike rate from 66 runs

2019/2020 - 0% strike rate from 40 runs

He actually had a winner in the 2018/2019 season.

STB. wrote: »
    Those days are gone.

2014/15 - 20% strike rate from 66 runs

2019/2020 - 0% strike rate from 40 runs

He actually had a winner in the 2018/2019 season.

Those stats are revealing

BumperD wrote: »

STRANGE ONE

Owning/buying a horse is a minefield for the average Joe and or a few of his mates.

Get into ownership - great craic is the propagandist bs.

Lambs to the slaughter appears to be the way for the (new)small owner. Chances are if the horse shows any potential it'll be campaigned in a manner so the owner will sell for a fraction of the price only for the nag to improve 2 stone plus in its next few outings for new trainer/connections.

Ted Walsh on "Luck on Sunday" at Leopardstown saying he hates syndicates. I'd say he does alright. Reasons he gave were "lads not paying their share" , "people getting upset because he might have met someone once and Ted didn't acknowledge/remember his name when he saw him again".

More like he might be able to fill one or two lads with crap but if there's a dozen or so all the right questions would be asked and it would be harder to screw them.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Ted and over conspiratorial when it comes to new owners being treated poorly.

And on the offchance that the so-called no good horse was sold; bad enough if it's a gelding, but if it's a quality filly/mare/colt then the bigger the ripoff.

I could be talking through my hat but I'd take evens that such scurrilous behaviour has happened at least three times in the last year. Hard to know - stories like this don't crop up too often in news outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

There's a lot of dodgy characters in the game. In the case of Andrew Hughes, it wasn't any ould joe soap. He is a bloodstock expert and private trainer that exclusively trains and breeds for Jimmy Long's Thistle Bloodstock who have the stallion, the Carbon Unit and a rake of mares.

No doubt money changed hands for that horse to be euthanised.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

https://twitter.com/MEMLAW1/status/1231615872797638661

I see the owner of Jason The Militant didnt collect the trophy after the race yesterday as it was sponsered by PP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Mike Smith getting a whip ban for too many slaps in a country where they whip people as a punishment you gotta love that irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Anyone know where Steve Mellish has gone from RTV?. Havent seen him punditing there in a long while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

califano wrote: »
    Anyone know where Steve Mellish has gone from RTV?. Havent seen him punditing there in a long while.

He did a Road to Cheltenham show a few weeks ago, so he is still working for them.

I would say they will use him more when the 3 yr old handicaps are starting in earnest. He is great at picking out improvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He did a Road to Cheltenham show a few weeks ago, so he is still working for them.

I would say they will use him more when the 3 yr old handicaps are starting in earnest. He is great at picking out improvers.

Did he. Yeah he seems more a flat aficionado for sure. Maybe he suits himself these days a bit more. However there has been an influx of new people since the branding change so I was wondering if he may have lost out in that mix.

Did he. Yeah he seems more a flat aficionado for sure. Maybe he suits himself these days a bit more. However there has been an influx of new people since the branding change so I was wondering if he may have lost out in that mix.

This is his Cheltenham show from a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Part 1 of 3 :
    https://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/bettingpeople-steve-mellish/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Can anyone help me here.
    My father opened a online paddy power account yesterday to do the lotto.
    Because its euromillions you have to phone in and do the bet which was grand and the guy confirmed the bet is on.
    2 numbers came out which is 100/1 but paddy power voided the bet and refunded the stake after the draw had taken place as the bet was placed after there 7.30 cut off(bet was placed at 7.48 and draw is at 8.
    Stake was refunded at 8.15.
    When he phoned up to find out what happened they said it was a new guy that took the bet and he shouldn't have done it as there cut off is 7.30 and there decision stands.
    Does he have a leg to stand on here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Can anyone help me here.
    Because its euromillions you have to phone in and do the bet which was grand and the guy confirmed the bet is on.
    2 numbers came out which is 100/1 but paddy power voided the bet and refunded the stake after the draw had taken place as the bet was placed after there 7.30 cut off(bet was placed at 7.48 and draw is at 8.
    When he phoned up to find out what happened they said it was a new guy that took the bet and he shouldn't have done it as there cut off is 7.30 and there decision stands.

Bet was taken by mistake after the cut off, stake was returned. No comeback for that imo as the bet was void.

Can anyone help me here.

Probably, but they get really poxy if you need to get poxy with them.

I would kick up a bit. I am amazed that you are allowed take lottery bets over the phone, way too dodgy.

If one of their employees declared the bet was fine they should not be able to renege on payment. Kick up and good luck.

Ask them for a timeline printout, if they cannot provide you with this they need to be reported to the gambling commission.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/gambling-laws-and-regulations/ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Bet was taken by mistake after the cut off, stake was returned. No comeback for that imo as the bet was void.

But they only voided the bet after it had won.
    If it lost i doubt the money would of been returned

Advertisement