Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big beard care for dry/sensitive skin

Options
  • 21-03-2020 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I have a fairly big beard (which I absolutely love - it has been growing for more than 1 year) but my skin is very sensitive and dry, which results in a lot of scratching and 'beardruff'.

I am trying to apply oils and balms on a daily basis, but I suspect it is ineffective as I practically have to use the whole bottle. It is hard to get in between, and I suspect that my skin needs extra moisturising on the surface. I have also looked at beard care vids on Youtube, and to be honest advice seems very different (from washing beard every day to not every day to use only warm water to use only cold water). So I suppose this hints to trial and error.

This is turning into a big problem for me and I don't know what to do anymore - it is getting to a point where I need to consider shaving it all off to treat the skin. As you can imagine, my reluctance is because it took so long to grow.

Any advice on how to treat this extreme dry and sensitive skin would be massively appreciated.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've found Gruum's Bard beard shampoo great. Barely any dandruff since I started using it and my beard used to be riddled with it before.

I use it every two days or so, and put a little oil in after I towel dry the beard. When my beard gets longer I often use some beard wax too but that's more for keeping it under control than anything else.

Unfortunately just because it worked for me doesn't mean it works for everyone, I suspect like you say it's all about trial and error and finding a shampoo that agrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've found Gruum's Bard beard shampoo great. Barely any dandruff since I started using it and my beard used to be riddled with it before..

Great, thanks for the advice. Can you buy it locally, or do you order from their site?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ikoonman wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the advice. Can you buy it locally, or do you order from their site?

You can only get it from their site far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

See if you can pick up a beard comb with big teeth. I apply oil to one hand, rub it throughout, then comb it in. If the beard is really glistening after having a chance to absorb then I might use a tissue to absorb some of the excess. Remember that conditioner is basically various oils with a similar purpose in mind so feel free to avail of that in the shower too.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Great, thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement