Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative to Degiro

Options
  • 18-03-2020 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im interested in setting up a trading account to invest in shares, etfs but unfortunately, Degiro wont accept me due to being born in the United States - Im living in Ireland since i was 2 years old so am an Irish tax resident.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Degiro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭liamjames1

shano_88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im interested in setting up a trading account to invest in shares, etfs but unfortunately, Degiro wont accept me due to being born in the United States - Im living in Ireland since i was 2 years old so am an Irish tax resident.

Giving this a bump. 11 days now waiting for ID to be verified by De Giro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

shano_88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Most likely because you still holding US citizenship?
    If thats a case - try TD Ameritrade. Free trading and you might have privilege to buy US ETFs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

edit_me wrote: »
    Most likely because you still holding US citizenship?
    If thats a case - try TD Ameritrade. Free trading and you might have privilege to buy US ETFs

Yes, I still have a us passport but no social security number. I'm actually going to do a bit more digging before doing anything now as I'm unsure if I ever could be eligible for US tax on any returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

TD Ameritrade fills, level 2 and time and sales have gone down the toilet since they went commission free.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ConorC1

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Degiro for irish citizens? Degiro registrations are on hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ConorC1 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an alternative to Degiro for irish citizens? Degiro registrations are on hold

I can’t recommend them from experience as I haven’t personally used them, but Saxo Bank seems pretty decent to me (I did experience their platform with a demo account and the platform itself is good, but never actually had a real account).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Interactive Brokers, no maintenance fee if you hold more than 100k in cash/stock, monthly maintenance charge otherwise set off by any commissions you pay in the month, very low fees, can't trade US ETFs.

For the US citizen I'd suggest Firstrade (might work for you), commission free and you can trade US ETFs.

Advertisement