Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in the city

Options
  • 17-03-2020 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Seeing as it’s quieter with some of the closures is GCC still sending out traffic wardens ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the real question if you can park anywhere for free? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

biko wrote: »

Yes. I typically get the train but with obvious circumstances wish not to. I don’t want to pay 13 Euro a day either.
    Given the town is more or less a ghost town thought I’d throw a punt at this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

skinny90 wrote: »
    Yes. I typically get the train but with obvious circumstances wish not to. I don’t want to pay 13 Euro a day either.
    Given the town is more or less a ghost town thought I’d throw a punt at this thread

Dyke Rd is 5 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

biko wrote: »

Westside library seems to be always packed. Even when library is closed. That's free. A reasonable walk into town. Galway Shopping Centre always busy too. I see a fella taking reg numbers somedays there but I have never seen a car clamped. Ardilaun Road. Not sure about Whitestrand Park. Those shopping units on Sean Mulvoy Road-although I don't know if there's a sign saying for those shops only. Up around Hidden Valley somewhere.

There's one or two very handy spaces behind the Courthouse as you come off the bridge. Usually I see quite new, expensive cars there. I wouldn't park there myself as it's on a footpath. I think that's against the law.

bobbyss wrote: »
    . I wouldn't park there myself as it's on a footpath. I think that's against the law.

Not illegal if where the car is parked is not public property. You will see this around many cities where footpaths go right up to the door of a building but at some point that buildings grounds actually stretched out much further, say they had a small front garden that’s no longer there. In these instances the area in front of the house would still be privately owned and you could park there.

I believe there was court case over something like this in Dublin where people parking as above kept getting tickets/clamped and the court ordered the council/clampers to stop as they had no right.

• Advertisement

Google street view suggests those spots at the rear of the courthouse have been marked out and are reserved for the courts themselves.

Better that the jumble of parking that uses to happen there.

Advertisement