Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 House Arrest Strategies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The schools really need to reopen or things are going to be very difficult. People need to get back to work and let the state take proper care of vulnerable people. It is pointless having kids at home if they are going to be kept isolated from older family members.

I have sympathy for anyone trying to get work done with kids at home. You need to ensure that the kids are safe first and foremost. Too easy for a kid to hurt themselves at home. Kids need constant supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The schools really need to reopen or things are going to be very difficult. People need to get back to work and let the state take proper care of vulnerable people. It is pointless having kids at home if they are going to be kept isolated from older family members.

I have sympathy for anyone trying to get work done with kids at home. You need to ensure that the kids are safe first and foremost. Too easy for a kid to hurt themselves at home. Kids need constant supervision.

It’s not pointless keeping kids at home to isolate them from older family members, it’s exactly what we need to do? This is our new reality. Schools won’t be reopening for some time, and everyone needs to figure out how best to deal with it to suit their own needs. It’s inconvenient, it’s unfortunate, for some it’s down right disastrous, but it certainly isn’t pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s not pointless keeping kids at home to isolate them from older family members, it’s exactly what we need to do? This is our new reality. Schools won’t be reopening for some time, and everyone needs to figure out how best to deal with it to suit their own needs. It’s inconvenient, it’s unfortunate, for some it’s down right disastrous, but it certainly isn’t pointless

If you reopen schools it will be a breeding ground.

There needed to be total lock down tonight

The UK haven't closed their schools but will ask elderly people to self isolate. That makes much more sense given the mild symptoms or no symptoms amongst younger people. The economic cost of closing schools, pubs, hotels and restaurants will be massive. We even got the Taoiseach warning of it tonight.

Elderly people are in a good position to self isolate as well given their stage of life and smaller social circle.

We have kids off school but still have elderly people going food shopping, collecting medicine and pensions all in crowded areas. It doesn't add up.

The UK haven't closed their schools but will ask elderly people to self isolate. That makes much more sense given the mild symptoms or no symptoms amongst younger people. The economic cost of closing schools, pubs, hotels and restaurants will be massive. We even got the Taoiseach warning of it tonight.

Elderly people are in a good position to self isolate as well given their stage of life and smaller social circle.

We have kids off school but still have elderly people going food shopping, collecting medicine and pensions all in crowded areas. It doesn't add up.

The world is laughing at the UK and their management of this situation. I wouldn’t like our government to be taking the lead from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

There is an AMA in the covid 19 forum by a hospital consultant. It's worth reading his take on this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

How are people doing?
    We had a sobbing 3 year old last night, wanting her preschool friends.
    First thing this morning, 5 year old wanted to know could she go back to school today.
    Toddler shouting for grandparents as we drive past their estate.
    I am a bit upset about it, if I am honest .It is so unfair, basically treating them like pariahs.They haven't a clue why and I struggle to see how it can be done over any longer period of time.
    I get the science and logic of it all, and I can see it is effective and we are doing our utmost to keep apart from everyone, but I think there is only so long we can ask it of kids and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Finding it tough. We have a 35 month old and a 19 month old and live in a small house. Younger one still naps twice a day so she was down for two hours this morning. Mrs was on a conference call for 3 hours from 9 til 12 so older one got some screen time to entertain him for a bit while I did a few emails. The three of them are gone for a walk now to let me catch up, little one will go down at 2 for a couple of hours and wife might being older one for a drive to get him to sleep. He point blank refuses to nap at home anymore but will pan out within 5 minutes of being in the car seat. Gonna be a long few weeks.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Young lad is missing his friends.

He can't go out to play with the neighbourhood kids so I'm going to let him video call them this evening, and maybe arrange a regular time slot. After I've dragged him out of his PJs and out for a walk in the woods. Holiday is over kiddo :D

He started children's art lessons on you-tube today, and I've decided that I'll also use this time to teach him some various life skills - cooking, baking, laundry. So maybe school-work in the morning, a walk at lunchtime, bit of drawing, a bit of cooking etc then something like a board game?

His dad has been home on his own working and trying to juggle it all so not much time to set up a structure yet but I should be working primarily from home by next week and we can tag team. We are lucky that he's old enough to understand the need to be quiet on conference calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m feeling very lucky that I had my baby on Monday! Was due today but expected to go over and I think we would have found that time really difficult with husband WFH and not being about to go out combined with normal “heavily pregnant” issues.

As it stands, we would have been staying indoors with the baby anyway and 2 year old would have been getting used to a new world order.

Had arts and crafts order delivered today that I ordered last week so started making some Mother’s Day cards for the nana’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

shesty wrote: »
    How are people doing?
    We had a sobbing 3 year old last night, wanting her preschool friends.
    First thing this morning, 5 year old wanted to know could she go back to school today.
    Toddler shouting for grandparents as we drive past their estate.
    I am a bit upset about it, if I am honest .It is so unfair, basically treating them like pariahs.They haven't a clue why and I struggle to see how it can be done over any longer period of time.
    I get the science and logic of it all, and I can see it is effective and we are doing our utmost to keep apart from everyone, but I think there is only so long we can ask it of kids and their families.

Have you talked with them any explained what is happening? They understand a lot. I've a 6 year old and 3 year old and they had lots of questions, funny ones too from my 3 year old like when the vaccine comes and kills the virus, will it go into the sky to great-grandma :D

They understand the situation, they shout to their friends in the other gardens but don't run over. They send messages over whatsapp, I've created a few projects for them to keep them busy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I’m struggling with the age gap. I’ve a baby, a toddler, a pre-schooler and an 8 y.o. I can park the baby in her high chair or bouncer and do something with the older two like painting or baking, but my toddler just wrecks everything (my head included). He’s so destructive, that I spend a lot of my day cleaning up after him.
    They’re having way too much screen time, which I need to clamp down on.
    I’ve realised after only a couple of days that I need to put a bit more structure to the day, make sure we all get out doors a bit more, and that I need to make tine every day to do the workout that my gym is posting online every morning, to try and counteract the extra food I’m consuming

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I’m struggling with the age gap. I’ve a baby, a toddler, a pre-schooler and an 8 y.o. I can park the baby in her high chair or bouncer and do something with the older two like painting or baking, but my toddler just wrecks everything (my head included). He’s so destructive, that I spend a lot of my day cleaning up after him.
    They’re having way too much screen time, which I need to clamp down on.
    I’ve realised after only a couple of days that I need to put a bit more structure to the day, make sure we all get out doors a bit more, and that I need to make tine every day to do the workout that my gym is posting online every morning, to try and counteract the extra food I’m consuming

Maybe get a project for the older 2 to work on.

My neighbour was throwing out an old wooden playhouse, so I took if from them. I've my two little ones working on it. They helped to take it apart, we've sanded it down, new windows arrived today, so we will put them in at the weekend, next week we will paint it and replace some of the rotten wood. It's a simple project, gets them outside and they are having fun. Plus they might learn a thing or two from it. And they will have a playhouse once it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Kids don't know yet but we are getting a kitten tomorrow. Had planned on getting one in the summer but we brought it forward as we are going to be home for the foreseeable future so that's ideal for settling in a new pet. It will also be a great distraction for the kids too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We have told them everyone is keeping their germs to themselves (I wish) and that. Eldest is bright, trying to walk the line between not scaring her and giving her enough information.

I have jlm's problem...only the eldest needs a bit of schoolwork, but the toddler is wrecking the place at every opportunity.Can't turn my back on him for 5 minutes, and he is in upsetting all the games the girl's want to play, poor child.It is rough.

I cut the screens out totally today, til just now, which seems to have kept a better lid on things, but hard to juggle giving them attention and emails.

I am also working from home -thankfully work is very flexible and understanding of everyone.....but it is tough going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Finding the 17 month old really hard going. My husband works from home so nothing has changed. He’s freeing me up for one hour a day to get a head start on prep but otherwise I’m spending my time trying to teach/prep/correct and help my second level students while simultaneously juggling my five year old and his school work with the wonderful addition of a climbing, destructive, tantrum prone 17th month old. This doesn’t work very well as you can imagine so they go down at 7 and I need to go upstairs for 2-3 hrs of correction most nights. I’m absolutely exhausted. Thank god he still naps for 1-2hrs in the middle of the day. At least I manage to clean up the place and prep some lunch before it starts all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My 3yr old is an introvert so it turns out this is her heaven. House bound with her sisters and parents, she couldn’t be happier. Eldest is much calmer then she was initially thankfully, reality is dawning on her day by day and she’s asking more questions - her birthday party in April will have to be canceled etc etc I find the not knowing when it will be over the hardest to communicate to them. The 16 mth old is absolutely destroying the place, I’m home with her full time anyway so it’s nothing I’m not used to handling. She has her sisters heads wrecked!!

We FaceTime my folks daily and they love that, really really missing them.

Now if I could just keep my flipping nose out of the fridge. Eating rings around myself. Not sure why on earth I felt it necessary to buy so many crisps!!! I’m kind of taking this week to get to grips with the madness and plan on resetting Monday. Implement a bit of routine etc

Same re:the eating. Even opened a leftover tin of roses from Christmas the other day. Totally should not be doing that. Every morning I look at the workouts the gym post online, think “oh I could do that later”. But I don’t. Good job my eldest boys communion will probably be cancelled. I’d have to wear my pyjamas

Same re:the eating. Even opened a leftover tin of roses from Christmas the other day. Totally should not be doing that. Every morning I look at the workouts the gym post online, think “oh I could do that later”. But I don’t. Good job my eldest boys communion will probably be cancelled. I’d have to wear my pyjamas

Ha! We were to go to a wedding next week and god love them they had to postpone it but if there’s any silver lining it’s me not having to struggle into my outfit.

I’m eating stuff I normally would never go near, stuff I normal wouldn’t buy!! Forget the toilet roll I headed straight for the snack isle.

• Advertisement

So much eating.
    And in the absence of getting to a shop, I bake...and then eat it.
    Desperate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭Osamabindipper

Great thread all, nice to know we not alone and some nice ideas. Haven't read it all but will catchup later.

So much eating.
    Desperate.

I too love the baking. I am, unfortunately my own best customer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Its March and you had leftover chocolate from Christmas?

Holy moly, even the crappy toffee ones were gone by the time January first rolled around in our house!

:rolleyes:

So much eating.
    Desperate.

I *may* be having the odd glass of wine too.... just the odd one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Digs wrote: »
    I *may* be having the odd glass of wine too.... just the odd one ;)

Myself and my husband drank three nights in a row after the news last week and had to consciously stop. We were all "we're doomed, lets get drunk!". Parenting a 2 year old and 8 month old is no craic hungover!

The better weather makes such a difference.
    I find getting out once a day helps a lot even if wet. Always handy to take them on a bit of a car journey as they will nap but not too much plus you can bring a bit of a picnic along.

Places with pools of water might have frog spawn in them now too after the very wet spring. A bit of fun for everyone plus you could go back week after week to see them growing.

I too love the baking. I am, unfortunately my own best customer

This is me:o

The better weather is really great. We live near a good few beaches and are visiting them every day. I am demented cleaning sand out of the house and the car, but still delighted that we at least have a place to go.

Myself and my husband drank three nights in a row after the news last week and had to consciously stop. We were all "we're doomed, lets get drunk!". Parenting a 2 year old and 8 month old is no craic hungover!

I hear ya! It’s all fun and games until someone is looking for Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam at 5:45am!!

• Advertisement

We have been embracing junk art and painting today.
    Outdoors, in the back garden, where the mess is minimal.
    Loveinapril, I will now be joining you in a wine haze!

Advertisement