Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running MoJo: Different things to do!

• 18-03-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of ways to keep the mojo high in the coming weeks months, while we wait to start into race specific work.

For me, I'm going to develop a 7-10 day running challenge to keep me occupied - rather than running my usual 7m loop.

The challenge is to do things I haven't done in a while or at all in the past.

As an example - so far I've thought about;

* Run the circumference of the Phoenix Park (but dont go into it)
    * 3 miles worth of Kenyan Hills.
    * Run 4 miles at 9 min miles. (Real recovery run)
    * Run twice per day once in the timeframe.
    * Do an 'alteration pace' run.
    * Do a Long Run in a different location.
    * Hill Reps on the Khyber 3x(30/60/90 sec)
    * Do my usual 7m run in the opposite direction.
    * Run on the canal to Leixlip/Maynooth & back.

Any more ideas out there to spice up the running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

* Hill Reps on the Khyber 3x(30/60/90 sec)

Any more ideas out there to spice up the running?

For those with a flutter inclination

Dice Hill Session

Dice determines length of the hill rep. Roll the dice, multiple by 10 (seconds) and run that length. Have a set time frame (i.e 10 min of hills total etc) and keep rolling till the session concludes. Double dice for the sadists. Jog back down recoveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Maybe look at this a little differently.
    What could be done to supplement your running.
    Maybe on your route you pass 6 benches at each bench you can stop a do an exercise (seated dips, bugarian squats, exaggerated step-ups, etc) or you pass an outdoor gym.
    Spend 15 mins doing dynamic work a few times per week.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Maybe look at this a little differently.
    What could be done to supplement your running.
    Maybe on your route you pass 6 benches at each bench you can stop a do an exercise (seated dips, bugarian squats, exaggerated step-ups, etc) or you pass an outdoor gym.

Endurance Circuit

Run 400 metres at current 5k race pace
    Do five chin-ups
    Complete 36 abdominal crunches
    Perform 15 squat thrusts with jumps (burpees)
    Do 15 press-ups
    Complete 30 body-weight squats (fast)
    Run 400 metres at 5k pace again
    Do 12 squat and dumbbell presses (with 10-pound dumbbells)
    Complete ten feet-elevated press-ups
    Perform 36 low-back extensions
    Do 15 bench dips
    Complete 15 lunges with each leg
    Run 400 metres at 5k pace again and then cool down with about 15 minutes of light jogging, swimming, or cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

KSU wrote: »
    Endurance Circuit

Run 400 metres at current 5k race pace
    Do five chin-ups
    Complete 36 abdominal crunches
    Perform 15 squat thrusts with jumps (burpees)
    Do 15 press-ups
    Complete 30 body-weight squats (fast)
    Run 400 metres at 5k pace again
    Do 12 squat and dumbbell presses (with 10-pound dumbbells)
    Complete ten feet-elevated press-ups
    Perform 36 low-back extensions
    Do 15 bench dips
    Complete 15 lunges with each leg
    Run 400 metres at 5k pace again and then cool down with about 15 minutes of light jogging, swimming, or cycling.

If I start now, I might be able to do 5 chin-ups before the coronavirus is sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

The main goal for me in the immediate future is trying to get the mileage back up, without having to worry too much about sessions. Maybe some fartlek trail sessions off the clock using the natural terrain as loops in the Park.

But, after that, there are loads of sessions that I've wanted to do a progression with that I've never had the breathing room to do before, mostly involving continuous hills around the Magazine/Munich Hills in the Phoenix Park. There's a few you need a couple of attempts at to get right, before you can start to progress the quality in the session.

Then there's the standard progression of workouts like the ones in the Science of Running, where you need about 8 weeks to go through the entire progression (which I'm never normally going to take for something like 5k).

Mainly, it's a chance to do a longer phase of endurance building for middle distance so I'll also be trying to get more marathon pace (or MarHR) sessions in and more continuous fartlek sessions.

That's the intention but, just looking at the above list, I'm not sure 6 weeks is enough to even do one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SportPhysio

I'd also like to offer some help here if anyone had any questions on running related injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'm torn between finishing my training block and doing a marathon time trial/virtual race (oh how I scoffed when they were invented!!) and backing up the training, easing off a bit in order to do some faster stuff before building towards an Autumn race, virus permitting.

Love to get some opinions on the pros and cons of both options. What would backing up the training actually look like? Easy week/10 days- bit of base miles for a couple of weeks before starting into some 5/10k type sessions?

I have 2 weeks left of the plan from this Sunday. I hate not finishing something I've started, even in extreme circumstances, but I guess the ultimate goal should be doing whatever gives me the best chance of reaching a higher training/fitness peak later in the year.

sideswipe wrote: »
    I'm torn between finishing my training block and doing a marathon time trial/virtual race (oh how I scoffed when they were invented!!) and backing up the training, easing off a bit in order to do some faster stuff before building towards an Autumn race, virus permitting.

Love to get some opinions on the pros and cons of both options. What would backing up the training actually look like? Easy week/10 days- bit of base miles for a couple of weeks before starting into some 5/10k type sessions?

I have 2 weeks left of the plan from this Sunday. I hate not finishing something I've started, even in extreme circumstances, but I guess the ultimate goal should be doing whatever gives me the best chance of reaching a higher training/fitness peak later in the year.

Marathon training is 99% the process 1% the outcome. Build on that fitness and progress forward

Word of warning on TT/VR option. Marathon efforts will severely compromise the immune system during the recovery phase. With the way things are at the moment I would not recommend anyone increase their risk of the immune system being depleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What’s to be gained from doing a marathon time trial? Are you going to dig in on your lonesome when things get tough without other runners and a crowd around you to inspire you on? Why beat your body up for a Strava PB, no matter what you say it won’t be a genuine PB. I think the whole idea of running a marathon time trial is stupid(not saying you are). Finish out the plan, bank the training and don’t beat the body up unnecessarily.

Marathon training is 99% the process 1% the outcome. Build on that fitness and progress forward

Word of warning on TT/VR option. Marathon efforts will severely compromise the immune system during the recovery phase. With the way things are at the moment I would not recommend anyone increase their risk of the immune system being depleted.

Cheer L, I guess it's one of those things you need somebody else to tell you. Re immune system I always get sick after marathons so I think I'll have to put that option out of my head.

Now I just need to figure out a plan to scale back the training without losing the fitness.

• Advertisement

As a sports physio my bias will be tilted slightly towards injury prevention. I have a long list of clients who have run into difficulty - particularly those who become a slave to their program despite various other personal and environmental changes occuring through their plan. I usually get them at the other end of your story - where they just pushed it when they probably know they shouldn't have.

You look like you have a great grasp of what's required there - identifying your ultimate goal. Would doing a virtual race get in the way of your ultimate goal?

There is some research suggesting that running during stressful times in peoples life can make you more susceptible to injury.

I think you know the right answer of what you should do. It's always hard to say no to a time trial/race though. I've been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If you follow someone local on Strava. Run the exact same route they did today, tomorrow... Ghost em!

[QUOTE=OOnegative;112874926]What’s to be gained from doing a marathon time trial? Are you going to dig in on your lonesome when things get tough without other runners and a crowd around you to inspire you on? Why beat your body up for a Strava PB, no matter what you say it won’t be a genuine PB. I think the whole idea of running a marathon time trial is stupid(not saying you are). Finish out the plan, bank the training and don’t beat the body up unnecessarily.[/QUOTE]

Thats an interesting question and one I've debated. I have just realised I'm mentally very self reliant emotionally, I really don't need crowds around me. In fact people heavy breathing, drafting or drifting across my path annoys the **** out of me. People in the crowd shouting things like 'your doing great' 4 miles in or 'keep her lit' doesn't do anything for me, in fact the keep her lit one makes me want to punch them for some reason:pac: but you are right it wouldn't be a pb and so the ultimate goal has to be moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

I remember Duanington had a similar interuppted marathon training situation at the end of 2018 where he couldn't do Seville iirc and went straight into an XC season instead and ran really well over the shorter stuff so his log around that time(and in general) could be a good resource to see how he handled it and what he done. "confessions of a never have been"

Maybe post up your pb's to give an idea of where you are strong and weak might help too. The marathon TT wouldn't be for me for the same reasons 00 outlined but different strokes for different blokes. If motivation becomes an issue due to lack of races, It might be better to focus more on training you enjoy whether thats speedwork or long runs or whatever, thats your own personal spice. running not exactly theoretically perfect training you enjoy is still better than doing less/no training because you lost motivation from doing stuff you wouldn't enjoy if it wasn't for progressions sake leading into a race and so forth I think but thats only if motivation becomes an issue I suppose.

I suppose the question will come down to what do you want? are you motivated enough to build everything towards a goal autumn race this far out and maintain it or are you looking to tick over until the races start to kick off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

I'd also like to offer some help here if anyone had any questions on running related injuries.

I actually have a quick question if you don't mind. I'm having some hip flexor problems at the moment, do you have any drills/exercises/stretches which would be good for this area?

I think even any resources on some good strength and conditioning programs people could easily do from their home would be great.

token56 wrote: »
    I actually have a quick question if you don't mind. I'm having some hip flexor problems at the moment, do you have any drills/exercises/stretches which would be good for this area?

I think even any resources on some good strength and conditioning programs people could easily do from their home would be great.

The psoas part of the hip flexor (iliopsoas) inserts into the lumbar spine - L1-5. We do see a lot of people with this difficulty when they are working from home/sitting down for extended periods. In this position the muscle is in it's shortened position.
    What are your steps like recently? Have you noted that you are sitting more frequently?
    I would advise installing a free "Stand Up Timer" extension on google chrome to act as a pop up to remind you to take a break every so often.

Very difficult to say that this is the exact cause or to advise on particular exercises without an assessment. My advice would be to increase steps and reducing time spent sitting. Time spent sitting particularly if you have gone to a poor chair e.g. too low - can result in some tight hips.

Often they say that tight hip flexors instead need to be strengthened rather than stretched - walking is a nice simple way to stretch them.
    Online resources to remain active - I would look at the free Nike Training Club app - which is very good, or use Adidas Runtastic - which has some nice videos on youtube. I'm actually going to do a session with Adidas with the wife this evening.

More detail give the easier it is to give specific advice, but hopefully this can help others too by keeping it general too.

I now live in the country of canals but I dearly miss the Royal Canal, if it’s near by and you haven’t visited in a while go for a run there. If you haven’t ran along it’s banks at all do so, there isn’t a more tranquil place in Ireland IMO to run. Section between Furey’s Pub and Mullingar being a huge favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

OOnegative wrote: »
    I now live in the country of canals but I dearly miss the Royal Canal, if it’s near by and you haven’t visited in a while go for a run there. If you haven’t ran along it’s banks at all do so, there isn’t a more tranquil place in Ireland IMO to run. Section between Furey’s Pub and Mullingar being a huge favourite of mine.

Is it really the Canal you miss or is this secret code for your seductive rendez-vous with a certain Pat Scanlon doppelganger?

Is it really the Canal you miss or is this secret code for your seductive rendez-vous with a certain Pat Scanlon doppelganger?

Pa is now a champion kickboxer and has zero interest in a man of no muscles like me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Interesting summary of recent science in the IT recently : here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OOnegative wrote: »

Secret rendezvouses aside, I love running this stretch of the canal too :o
    And Furey's does a fab steak dinner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great idea Alan, like your initial set of goals. The Maynooth run is on my own bucket list, although when I do it I’ll probably get the train back.

You never took up my parks challenge last year. See if you can beat my record. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great idea Alan, like your initial set of goals. The Maynooth run is on my own bucket list, although when I do it I’ll probably get the train back.

You never took up my parks challenge last year. See if you can beat my record. ;)

What's the challenge D? Public parks? How many did you squeeze in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Murph_D wrote: »

that was the one where you ran across a few greens and called them parks ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I think we should set up a virtual Boards A/R 1 mile race over a weekend/week. It would be better if it was done on a track to keep it fair but most are probably closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I think we should set up a virtual Boards A/R 1 mile race over a weekend/week. It would be better if it was done on a track to keep it fair but most are probably closed.

I say a series of events.... Mile, 5k, 5 Mile.....whatever. Could be a bit of craic. OONegative can take over official handicapping duties ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

that was the one where you ran across a few greens and called them parks ? :p

There was a clear set of rules and an objective definition of “park”. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

For now, let's operate on impulse power. New races will come after O'Brien and La Forge repair the warp drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

healy1835 wrote: »
    I say a series of events.... Mile, 5k, 5 Mile.....whatever. Could be a bit of craic. OONegative can take over official handicapping duties ;)

No need...there are perfect age/gender grading tables that could be used. AMK would be hard beaten but that's the challenge for ye whippersnappers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I like where this is going.

Advertisement