Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people need full pay in this environment?

Options
  • 19-03-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

If it helps to keep jobs in the private sector and lowers the tax bill for public sector workers, do we really need to keep pay levels at full pay?

Noones going on holidays, to the pub, buying cars etc.

Inflation will be zero and fuel costs are down. Couple that with mortgage and rent holidays, we simply don't need full pay (private, public or welfare) at this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If it helps to keep jobs in the private sector and lowers the tax bill for public sector workers, do we really need to keep pay levels at full pay?

Inflation will be zero and fuel costs are down. Couple that with mortgage and rent holidays, we simply don't need full pay (private, public or welfare) at this time.

Food, fuel, utilities, direct debits,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Speak for yourself, none of my bills are reducing from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tis grand as its long as its someone else's pay that's being cut. What about your own?

bladespin wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, none of my bills are reducing from what I can see.

If you have a mortgage or renting they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Well I'm doing as much work as before and what I spend my money on is nobody's business but mine so I expect full pay.

I work for a huge multi-national who when the time comes will just lay me off (something that was on the cards before this pandemic) so until then I won't be agreeing to a reduced wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

mariaalice wrote: »

How? Mortgage/rent holiday will only be for those who need it, not everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I expect full pay.

Username checks out :pac:

Had to!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Tis grand as its long as its someone else's pay that's being cut. What about your own?

I fully expect that my tenants may not be able to pay rent to me. That's a very big pay cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I was just thinking myself that if I can stay on full pay through this I will emerge with quite a lot saved as my spending will be severely curtailed as I have no leisure or fun activities to avail of. However, thats how economies enter recessions by people hoarding money so I will not do it too much.

However we are facing layoffs and currently deciding whether it is better if we all take a 20% pay cut instead of laying off 20% of staff. Going to cause problems anyway

How? Mortgage/rent holiday will only be for those who need it, not everybody.

Those who need it are those who are laid off if they are working it would not apply, either people are working or they are laid off they cant be both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Those who need it are those who are laid off if they are working it would not apply, either people are working or they are laid off they cant be both.

Could be a 3 day week, could be a pay cut.

Could be a 3 day week, could be a pay cut.

But that is different, people would have to cut back, I do think we will bounce back very quickly once we sort this.

I'm renting, my landlord lives in Australia and is not affected, so won't be getting a mortgage holiday, so I won't be getting a rent holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Even if I was in a position to pause my mortgage, I'd end up paying more in the end as the bank certainly won't pause the interest.
    I'm not volunteering any of my salary so that I can pause my mortgage.

Lurching wrote: »
    Even if I was in a position to pause my mortgage, I'd end up paying more in the end as the bank certainly won't pause the interest.
    I'm not volunteering any of my salary so that I can pause my mortgage.

How much is three months of interest on an average mortgage? its cant be that much, however, I do not think it is not the correct response there should have been one month pause of all rent, mortgage, utilities, and then reassess for everyone who has been let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

They're not, fuel cost is up due to extra use at home, food bills too, not to mention additional cost for all the toilet rolls and hand sanitiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Who is this "noone" chap you keep rabbiting on about anyway?

Is he a buddy of yours or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Who is this "noone" chap you keep rabbiting on about anyway?

Is he a buddy of yours of something?

I'm afraid to start laughing at that joke in case I never stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Yes I need full pay. I still have a mortgage to pay which I can't get a break on because I haven't been directly affected by the virus so wouldn't qualify. My bills are actually a bit higher as there's 3 of us at home all day everyday and eating breakfast, lunch & dinner as opposed to just breakfast & dinner. Also I may have to still pay full creche fees so my salary is quite important right now.

I don't need my full pay but I certainly intend to keep paying it to myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Only people getting mortgage and rent holidays should be those who lost their jobs. Anyone who still has their jobs should be paying their bills so banks, utility companies etc have enough cash to help those who lose their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

How much is three months of interest on an average mortgage? its cant be that much, however, I do not think it is not the correct response there should have been one month pause of all rent, mortgage, utilities, and then reassess for everyone who has been let go.

Why should people not affected get a pause on their bills. That would only make situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes. People need rent ..electricity food etc. I dont know many people that have high outgoings on socializing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

This is something that I was also thinking.

If it was to help the coffers I think all public servants on salaries over a certain amount (say €75k) should have their salaries cut back to €75k for the duration of this but pension calculations still based on actual salary.

Others in the economy are getting a hammering and this should be enough for them in this environment.

I may get creased for this but I would point out that I am a public servant on over €75k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Two weeks in and the public private debate has started.
    Actually took a bit longer than I expected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

with the place in lockdown, you can live on a pittance, certainly if you are housebound!

people should only be allowed defer mortgage, if their job circumstances have changed, the money to prop up banks now will have to come from the taxpayer I assume, what kind of idiocy would it be, to have people who's circumstances havent changed and the taxpayer, supporting the amount the banks are out :rolleyes:

How much is three months of interest on an average mortgage? its cant be that much.........

If in the first 10 years of the mortgage at 3% its about 40% of the total amount.
    As the mortgage matures and you owe less then less interest gets added so there's less to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

My rent hasn't changed? None of my bills have, even Sky haven't bothered to allow me to pause sky sports yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Most of my pay goes on my mortgage and deferring isn't really an option as I'll be retiring in a few years and can't afford to pay it on a pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Say €200k mortgage at 3.5% would be interest over 3 months of €1,750.

Advertisement