Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a consultant in the HSE [Questions thread]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

There are reports of people successfully overcoming the fever after a few days, only for them to be hit with severe shortness of breath and pneumonia a few days after that again.

Are there are warning signs of this occurring and are there specific instructions for people who suddenly find themselves in that position, particularly those in the at risk category, so that they make the correct decisions and attempt to get appropriate help as soon as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

On underlying conditions - I have had a heart bypass, 10 years ago, 54 now, in good shape generally, did a 13 minute treadmill test a month ago and had follow up with cardiologist in Mater. Hit 100% max heart rate, etc, so cardiologist was happy with the performance.

Just wondering if a bypass fixed the heart issue, is CVD still a reason to self isolate when the time comes with my underlying condition? Am I at the same risk as someone with COPD, heart failure etc, or can I go about my business?

I know the bypass fixed the problem, and the disease still exists. Hence my question, mortality rate for CVD is quite high, seemingly 13%, so I have that concern of course.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

Many thanks for both this thread, and all the work you are going to be doing over the next period of time. Stay safe.

For those of us with underlying conditions, with regard to Leo's speech last night, he mentioned elderly and vulnerable and cocooning. Do you have any idea how we are going to identify whether our underlying condition is sufficiently risky to warrant this when we are not elderly?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Asking for a friend 😷...There’s lots of us here with partners working in the healthcare system ( me included) What precautions do you take or recommend when coming home from work to protect your own family

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Should we be making it completely and unambiguously clear that SELF-medicating with anything for Covid19 symptoms will do nothing to fight the actual virus?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112861398&postcount=5158

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thank you for your guidance, and the work you and your colleagues will be doing.
    Your last post said this:

"It is just a matter of time. Buy us that time with social distancing, social isolation and handwashing."

Do you think we are doing enough?
    My household is doing absolutely everything by the book but its frustrating as hell when I heard about people going to house parties last night and kids like my own on playdates who are all unable to self-regulate the social distancing.
    I called my health insurer nurseline about information I'd read, (both media and scientific journals) about ace inhibitors and concerns surrounding these. I was told that their medical teams were aware of this and that there were many uncertainties. Now I'm not coming off the medication or anything extreme like that, and I did contact my gp with my questions, which we all should do!
    Is there any verifiable science surrounding these medications and their interactions with covid19?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hi again Psuedo,

just a question that came up over on the Diabetes thread. As Diabetics are a high risk group as per the advice from Government/WHO, many of us are taking all available precautions.

is there however any difference in the advice for T1 and T2?
    Or is it a blanket advice?

My own understanding of T1.5, T2 in particular is that as inflammation is a particular risk in any event that it should be a case of isolate and stay safe?
    Does one's control have any bearing?
    or is it really a case of suck it up, mitigate and isolate?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No question just now, thanks so much for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

In relation to claims by a HSE whistleblower that the current state of hospitals are "filthy", has there been an effort to deep clean our hospitals in the past few weeks in preparation for what's to come?

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/coronavirus-filthy-hospitals-wont-able-17884118

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If someone suspects they have the virus but are generally well and have painkillers at home and they decide to stay at home for two weeks and just get through it.

Do they need to get tested or can they just stay at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

How can we help? At the moment we are taking this seriously and avoiding all unnecessary contact with others. We do ring older people to see if they need anything but they have been ok so far. When things get worse, will there be volunteers needed or is continuing to isolate the best thing we can do?

Edit: Do you think things like this interactive map connecting volunteers with the self-isolated are a good idea?
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/community/526492/interactive-map-connects-volunteers-with-self-isolated-in-limerick-during-covid-19-crisis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Goldenkt

Quick question regarding self-quarantine, should someone whos in remission from hodgkins lymphoma for just over a year and received 6 months of ABVD chemo be travelling into work on public transport & work in a busy office in the city centre or do they fall under the at risk group advised by HSE to self-quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Olaz

Given that Arklow in particulr is a hotbed for Crona and you like the rest of the population have been specifically warned that children are at high risk and specifically asked to observe social distancing it is difficult to figure out why you think this does not apply to you and your family and children.

Your answer is entirely irrelevant to me, in every way. Have a safe day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭con747

More clean up needed on answers thread Mods

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I don’t have a question for you but just wanted to thank you for your commitment to providing information particularly in the early days of this. I’d read your posts in the other threads and saw the pushback you experienced. Thanks for persisting and sharing, I’ve learned a lot and am grateful to you for all you are doing.

As an observation I was a little taken back when I seen the words interstitial pneumonia in relation to covid19. It’s been a long time since I seen those words, they were written on the death cert of a family member many years ago.

I didn’t understand it then and I won’t pretend to understand it now. At the time, we told people the family member died of a heart attack as no one knew what interstitial pneumonia was and we couldn’t explain it.

Anyway sorry for rambling, my thoughts are with you and all the front line staff and your families who will support us all through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

I’ve been reading your posts with both interest and high anxiety. I believe all your facts and thank you for doing this.

Question:

I’m a 44 year old male with Cerebral Palsy. In addition I’ve early Osteopenia and I’ve picked up some kidney stones in the last couple of years. I’m also allergic to Penicillin which is used to fight off lots of bugs. .

My CP is mild compared to others. I can still walk and I try to exercise as much as possible.

Am I at any higher a risk than another 44 year old male?

I’ve been distancing myself from most people for about 10 days now and I’m going to focus on looking after my immunity with high dosage Vitamin C, Zinc and more.

Cheers again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As the Americans say to the veterans, “thank you for your service sir”

My question is probably more complex than I think but here goes

Viral loads and contagions. How does it work with this virus. We know that there are drugs for example that can suppress viral loads of HIV to levels that make it virtually not transmittable. What is it that makes this virus so contagious? Is it it’s ability to replicate itself? Or have I oversimplified it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

First off, I wish you all the best in what you are preparing for and my thoughts are with each and every person who are on the front lines for this. I also have a tremendous amount of respect for you taking the time to do this, understanding the involved risk.

I posted this elsewhere but maybe if you have time you could answer...

EDIT: It looks like you have addressed my question in your most recent answers and I don't expect you to be repeating yourself so I don't see the need for you to answer this - your time here may be best spent answering others! The person in question has decided to self-isolate.

Someone I know who has an underlying condition is still working and using public transport daily to travel to and from work. I've checked the stats HERE (section: Case fatality rate of COVID-19 by preexisting health conditions)...

They have diabetes and are between 20-40 yrs old. Am I reading this correctly that if you have diabetes you are ~7 times more likely to die from the virus? i.e. 7.3% vs 0.9%? I notice that this doesn't factor in age (like the previous data), so it is also possible that the majority of these diabetes cases are older people. Are these assumptions correct?

I have been looking for more detailed data regarding this but have not yet found any, if you know of any other sources, I would be very grateful.

I have suggested to this person that they should probably be self-isolating but I don't want to scare or worry them by presenting any figures, especially ones I don't fully comprehend.

They work in retail and their employer has stated that they will be keeping the place open even if non-essential retail outlets are ordered to close - I believe they have applied for special status in this regard based upon the products they sell. Their employer has informed them that they have the option to not come to work if they are not comfortable (which will be treated as unpaid leave) so this obviously has a bearing on their decision to isolate.

I just want this person to be fully informed and not putting themselves at undue risk for financial reasons.

What are your thoughts?

On a separate note (not directed to OP since it is not their field), does anybody know how higher risk people who choose to self-isolate are treated when it comes to Welfare? Looking HERE, it would appear that you may claim more if you are diagnosed or suspected of having the virus. Does anything similar apply if you are in a high risk category and told to isolate by your GP? I am not certain but I would assume that any decent employer would be able to declare that a certain individual was not required at the moment and temporarily laid off if needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Is there a reason for the high mortality rate experianced in Italy to date as compared to other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

No questions, just thank you for your forthrightness, bravery and determination. If we ever meet, I will buy you a beer. Several beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Edited because I'm clearly a moron and managed to post my answer to the questions thread. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

From my understanding the median time for symptoms to start after getting infected is 5 days, and almost everyone that gets symptoms will have them before 14 days. Do you have equivalent figures for how soon after getting infected a person becomes infectious even if they don't have symptoms yet, and for how soon after getting infected a person will test positive even if they don't have symptoms yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://journals.lww.com/ajg/Documents/COVID_Digestive_Symptoms_AJG_Preproof.pdf

————————————————-
    Conclusion: We found that digestive symptoms are common in patients with COVID-19. Moreover, these patients have a longer time from onset to admission and their prognosis is worse than patients without digestive symptoms. Clinicians should recognize that digestive symptoms, such as diarrhea, may be a presenting feature of COVID-19, and that the index of suspicion may need to be raised earlier in at-risk patients presenting with digestive symptoms rather than waiting for respiratory symptoms to emerge. However, further large sample studies are needed to confirm these findings.

—————————————————-

There are some reports that Gastro problems (like diarrhoea) can be an advance warning and in a small study of Hubei patients, just under 50% had this as their primary symptom. Have you heard anything regarding this or is there any sign that this has been a symptom from what you have seen thus far?

Thanks for answering all these questions, it really helps... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I'm a bit confused about the advice regarding hygiene/social distancing - HSE website says masks are unlikely to be effective for healthy people and seems to advise against gloves, but you reckon it's irresponsible to go to a supermarket without gloves and masks? Also, if we're worried about touching surfaces in a supermarket then what about the things we buy and take home? Should we be disinfecting packaging? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

My wife finished chemotherapy 6 months ago, and had a splenectomy 3.5 years ago.

We understand she is in an at risk group.

Are there any extra precautions that we should follow - over and above the guidelines for self-isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My sister smokes but had leukemia when she was a child. ( not had problems or check ups in decades). She works in a hospital up north and when I asked her if she had spoken to a doctor about her risk factor she said she didn’t see it being a problem. She’s also refusing to buy these personalized masks they are offering. Would a person who has , I think, fully recovered from this illness theoretically not be anymore at risk then the average person? I appreciate you cannot give medical advice here, I am just wondering how insistent I should be with my sister that she should talk to a doctor regarding her risk profile, especially while she’s working in a hospital....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions, and for continuing to work despite being at considerable risk. This really is a war.

I work in the veterinary sector. Many of our clinics and hospitals have ventilators. In the UK, the AHT is compiling a list of veterinary ventilators and liasing with officials to coordinate their potential donation/use in the hospitals in the weeks to come. I don't know if the Irish bodies are aware that these facilities may be available to draw upon?
    It's not a standard piece of kit in every hospital but there are many around, which may be worth investigating.

Aside from ventilators, is there anything veterinary staff in particular can do to assist in the coming crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Is sex ok during this crisis or should we be avoiding that also?

When can we go back to this type of thing if it's not recommended?

Do you contact trace your partner?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

I see that having high blood pressure is one of the risk factors. If you are on medication for it and your BP is now ok, is an underlying risk still there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

In your opinion, how high risk is someone (aged 40) with Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia requiring 7.5mg bisoprolol daily and suffering fairly significant exercise intolerance? They are an ex medical scientist and looking to volunteer - is their risk of further burdening the health service if they get sick low enough to go ahead? It's impossible to get any response at the moment from gp or cardiologist. Obviously this would be just your theoretical opinion on this condition generally, without knowing full details.

Thanks for all you are doing both in the hospital and in spreading awareness here. Your posts are scary but I believe them to be realistic. Thanks for trying to get people to wake up to reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement