Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upvc or aluclad windows

Options
  • 18-03-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Is there any significant difference between the above besides cost and arguably better looking?

I am trying to justify spending extra. More interested in U value than a window being better looking.

Open to suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There are mixed opinions on the suitability of alu clad in our damp moist wet environment.
    There is anecdotal evidence that the alu clad retains the wet behind it.
    I would never spec them.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Aside from the looks, they also work a lot better with larger windows - much larger openings are possible. And larger, taller slider doors and entrance doors.

A lot more flexibility and options too in terms of colours inside and out.

I went with them, I live in damp muggy Galway and I have no concerns. They feel like a very premium, solid, quality product to me.

For me they were definitely worth paying the bit extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Just to note you're probably comparing standard UPVC with standard Aluclad windows however other options are available but at a price:
    • You can get PVC which are clad with aluminium externally. These look great outside allowing lots of colour options and remove any worry about moisture in the wood if that is a concern.
    • You can get Aluclad with the centre of the timber cored out and filled with insulation. These have excellent thermal performance.
    • You can get UPVC windows with steel bars hidden inside the frame which allow larger windows and openings much bigger than standard aluclad timber ones.

I went for UPVC which were externally clad with aluminium to a custom colour and reinforced with steel frames to allow huge opes. More expensive but happy with them. These are what I generally specify in projects and then if we need to make cost savings (which is usually the case) we can reduce the spec to standard UPVC or aluclad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Is there any significant difference between the above besides cost and arguably better looking?

I am trying to justify spending extra. More interested in U value than a window being better looking.

Open to suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yep Aluclad will need maintenance on the timbers. Mould can be a very bad problem on these in this climate.

Why do i know, my last two apartments suffered from this problem. 1 was A rated the previous one lower B rated. These were built in last 20 years. Our climate does not stand up well to these with humidity. unless of course you have some sort of moisture management system like MHRV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Dudda - would you mind PMing me the manufacturer of the Aluminium clad reinforced PVC ones you used? It's sounds like a product I have been looking for for a specific project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Apologies

For some reason i couldn't locate the thread and thought I didn't post it. Apologies again.

My mistake. Delete this mods or merge the necessary comments with the first thread.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Threads merged

OP in future, just let the mods know by using the report function

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Open to suggestions

There are various constructions described as aluclad so not straightforward to compare apples with apples without going through into some depth. It's the blind leading the blind in this parish if you are looking for informed opinion.

If you are primarily concerned about U-values the frame material is not particularly relevant. You can get PH certified plastic windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 micky_p

I have a project which was completed 5 years ago with an irish made Aluclad and the external aluminium frame is now seperating from the inner timber frame on inward opening doors. They are a passive house rated products so good theoretical thermal properties. Also it seems on some windows that the glass is being pushed inward by the wind and allowing water to get in. Granted, its an exposed site but we gave the supplier wind loadings. Also I installed an Aluclad slider (lift and slide) in my house and its gotten draughty after only 3 years. A builder told me that the service man for this company (who is building his own house at the moment) had said that aluclad gives alot of trouble and he was planning on using upvc and alu-p in his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

micky_p wrote: »
    Also it seems on some windows that the glass is being pushed inward by the wind and allowing water to get in.

Quelle surprise - Internally beaded window under sustained high wind load and horizontal rain. Then again ‘stormproof’ profile with a second gasket and it’s not at all surprising. Gets the window PH certification but there’s a price to be paid.
    If it’s the window I think it is then it’s an aluminium clad plastic frame with a cosmetic internal timber liner.
    Unfortunately your average punter will assume it’s alu-clad timber and regurgitate the ill-informed opinions aired hereabouts. Plus ca change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

fatty pang wrote: »
    If it’s the window I think it is then it’s an aluminium clad plastic frame with a cosmetic internal timber liner.

Have just looked at the cross sections provided for a recent job and said manufacturer used this "hidden pvc" buildup for some items (mainly doors) and solid softwood elsewhere.

Great info to watch out for in future - thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Interiorosity

Looking at alu clad windows with painted interior wood. Curious can anyone confirm from experience:
    1. How often they need to be repainted?
    2. Do they look as well when repainted as new? Is it possible to achieve the same finish as when bought.

Thanks!

Advertisement