Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Shot Sectors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

(Disclaimer: I know bog-all about throwing).

Not quite related, but I noticed that the foam stuff they throw onto was sort of oddly staggered so that there were bits within the sector that were 'missing'. Probably no problem for the elite throwers who wouldn't throw it that short, but there was at least one multi-events throw that was close to being in the sector but not on the foam. What would have happened there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tim-Thrower Tim

What happens is that you mark it as close to where you landed as you can. The foam idea isn't great, they used to have that in Nenagh and depending on how the shot landed the foam could move up to 30cm. The current situation in Nenagh is that we throw into a sand pit in a sector that's approximately 6m wide, any throw over 9-10m that hits the wall is actually in sector. You don't get a second attempt and in order to protect the walls they have decided to ban the rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

Hi Tim,

Might be a thought to send users from you site to this board service.

Let me know what you think.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ed Healey

The IAAF allows a narrow sector for indoor shot, and it appears all major indoor meeting now use it. It seems to favour the more consistant glider over the spinner.

It also seems that there are indoor sectors with the same dimensions as the outdoor ones. I can't see the sense of having two different sectors in use for the same event. In other words a putt which would be foul on the narrow sector would be measured in a competition held on a wide sector. Should these putts have an asterisk next to them in the record books now?

The IAAF technical committee, as usual, appears to have given this little thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Bump........keeps coming up first on my feed anyway;)

Shot putt rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What’s gong on with these ancient threads? :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Murph_D wrote: »
    What’s gong on with these ancient threads? :confused::)

Boards been playing funny on mobile ordering main page as oldest. Really interesting to see some of the stalwarts of Irish athletics here in it's early stages following the closure of the likes of the leevale messageboard etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ancient threads - happening all over for me. Mark who is one of the hamsters employed by boards is aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

KSU wrote: »
    Boards been playing funny on mobile ordering main page as oldest. Really interesting to see some of the stalwarts of Irish athletics here in it's early stages following the closure of the likes of the leevale messageboard etc.

Pherekydes has been around since the dawn of time too, what his eyes mustv'e seen:)

I remember a really old zombie thread got bumped a few years ago that was the oldest thread on A/R where sposs who made the second ever post on this forum got a bookmark notification

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87485

Advertisement