Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Are you a member of a union? Ring them
    I know social welfare have been ordered to pay benefit immediately.
    I'd also check the department web site.
    If you get nowhere with above pm me and I will contact the Asti.
    That's assuming you are not a member of any union. Though it's times like this young teachers suddenly realize they should be in one.

Hi,
    Yes I'm an ASTI member. I'm thinking I'll be paid for them as I'm available to work and I have a written contract. I'll call the ASTI on Wednesday, pretty sure they won't be open until then. Will check the department website in the mean time. Hopefully the lady in office gets back to me also, if I don't get paid for them I'm in deep trouble. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

spurious wrote: »
    Thanks to those who reported the now deleted post.
    Member banned for a week this time since the 3 days had no effect.
    Presumably they will go round other fora again with their anti-teacher bile.

Thank you again to the people staying on topic.
    Scalded I missed it, get a kick out of the bile at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

acequion wrote: »
    I'm not the best when it comes to sophisticated technology. But what is the best way of sending audios, maybe videos, via google classroom? I teach French so some audio visual is crucial. I hear talk about 365,what is that?

Also, is there any way of ensuring that our students are cooperating? Is it just a case of assigning stuff and hoping they'll do it? I'm not talking about bigger assignments which they can mail me, I'm talking about various smaller exercises.Questions in exam papers etc. Thanks guys.

Questions in exam papers, they can be take photo and email it back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hi guys,

Quick query that's kind of off topic. Im a post primary teacher currently covering 13 carers leave hours. These hours appear as substitute pay on my payslip. My contract states that I will be paid for class contact hours only and no pay will be received during standardised school closures. Will I be paid during this period? My contract for these hours runs until the end of May and I'm assuming this isn't a standardised closure. Kind of worried I won't be paid for these as they make up the bulk of my wages. I've raised a query with the office but I'm not sure if they'll be working in any capacity at all over the coming weeks.

Any help appreciated!

Afaik that contract is between you and the school so you only get paid for each class you teach.
    Social welfare payment is likely to be the only money you receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Treppen wrote: »
    Questions in exam papers, they can be take photo and email it back

I dont know why, but I'm finding it much more difficult to decode scanned handwriting on an essay, than I am having an actual answer paper in front of me. Lol :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

What's the story with ETB principals. Just following the VFT page and on here and some of them seems to be drunk with power (or just drunk :pac: ). It always mentions EtB especially.

Demanding staff come in for IT training.
    Docking pay of those who aren't logged in at a certain time.
    Demanding teachers do face to face presentations for full class time.
    Demanding SNAs come in (for what I don't know).

As much as I groan about management I have to say I'm lucky with the school I'm in. Principal just leaves it too us and everyone wants to do good by the students (even the luddites are up for the challenge).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What's the story with ETB principals. Just following the VFT page and on here and some of them seems to be drunk with power (or just drunk :pac: ). It always mentions EtB especially.

Demanding staff come in for IT training.
    Docking pay of those who aren't logged in at a certain time.
    Demanding teachers do face to face presentations for full class time.
    Demanding SNAs come in (for what I don't know).

As much as I groan about management I have to say I'm lucky with the school I'm in. Principal just leaves it too us and everyone wants to do good by the students (even the luddites are up for the challenge).

Part of me think the qualification for ETB Principal is:

1. A cold dead heart
    2. Zero interpersonal skills
    3. A dislike for teachers
    4. General pr1ck by nature

Why, Why, would an SNA need to be present? Help Web cam a webcam presentation?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

yabadabado wrote: »
    Afaik that contract is between you and the school so you only get paid for each class you teach.
    Social welfare payment is likely to be the only money you receive.

Hi, thanks for your reply. On my contract it states I'm paid by the department, would this not indicate its a contract with them and not the school? Surely in cases like this where I'm available to teach the class and fullfilling my duties online requires payment? If not then I suppose I there's not much point in wasting my time teaching online.

Nebermind, been told by union I'll be paid for them. All subs will be paid for hours they were down for or promised/

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I am a deputy in a second level school and we have been instructed by our managerial body to open the school so that teachers who need to can work remotely. The circular supports this. None of our staff will be in. I would actively encourage them not to come in as I think it’s the only way to curb the virus. I also have young children and I am having a nightmare getting childcare. The unions have sadly agreed to this nonsense.

I also know that Leo made that announcement without speaking to any of heads of the managerial bodies. They thought at the earliest it would be Friday afternoon or after St. Patrick’s day. So everyone was in a panic on Thursday.

In terms of pay there is a circular that clearly states teachers will be paid in the event of a school closure. I am reading that as anyone who would have worked over the next week will be paid. I am putting in hours for everyone.
    There has been no update from the SEC. I would expect it tomorrow and I will update here once I know what’s happening.
    My primary focus is that everyone in the school community is safe. This crisis is unprecedented and at the end of the day we can all only do our best. We were lucky that we are very digitally prepared and all our staff were provided with a new device this year.
    If I can help anyone here just ask.

fall wrote: »
    I am a deputy in a second level school and we have been instructed by our managerial body to open the school so that teachers who need to can work remotely. The circular supports this. None of our staff will be in. I would actively encourage them not to come in as I think it’s the only way to curb the virus. I also have young children and I am having a nightmare getting childcare. The unions have sadly agreed to this nonsense.

I also know that Leo made that announcement without speaking to any of heads of the managerial bodies. They thought at the earliest it would be Friday afternoon or after St. Patrick’s day. So everyone was in a panic on Thursday.

In terms of pay there is a circular that clearly states teachers will be paid in the event of a school closure. I am reading that as anyone who would have worked over the next week will be paid. I am putting in hours for everyone.
    There has been no update from the SEC. I would expect it tomorrow and I will update here once I know what’s happening.
    My primary focus is that everyone in the school community is safe. This crisis is unprecedented and at the end of the day we can all only do our best. We were lucky that we are very digitally prepared and all our staff were provided with a new device this year.
    If I can help anyone here just ask.

Just for my own research purposes are you ETB or Voluntary?
    You sound too sensible to be ETB management :pac: (except for The Driver of course, that mod is sound).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,170 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is what school leadership should look like ^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭acequion

Keep it simple first. Do you know how to use the classwork tab or do you currently just post onto the stream?

I think I just post into the stream,not quite sure though what you mean by that mirrorwall14? I just post on the main page,that's all.

Just for my own research purposes are you ETB or Voluntary?
    You sound too sensible to be ETB management :pac: (except for The Driver of course, that mod is sound).

Not the etb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Have been posting work online for my classes over last couple of days. Have PowerPoints up, scanned a few pgs of text book and linked to relevant videos to keep them going for first few days. Homework set and they're to take a picture and email it so I'll have some idea who's actually engaging.

Still a couple of classes yet to sort. My wife will be working weekdays so I've to sort this by Tuesday evening so I can look after kids and do their schoolwork with them.

Be easier for everyone if we were still at school but health is the most important issue here.

Lucky with the timing from a selfish point of view as majority of coursework covered at this stage of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

acequion wrote: »
    I think I just post into the stream,not quite sure though what you mean by that mirrorwall14? I just post on the main page,that's all.

Then definitely look into using the classwork tab as your first step. That way you can set an assignment and all their work comes in under their name rather than separately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭acequion

Then definitely look into using the classwork tab as your first step. That way you can set an assignment and all their work comes in under their name rather than separately

Thanks so much for this information, mirrorwall14, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are teachers providing support to students or on holidays?

Gael23 wrote: »

I am currently doing both
    Not actually back to work until Weds but supporting students over the weekend and again today

Where does this fit in your narrative ?

Gael23 wrote: »

no-country-jones-new-760.gif

Although in fairness I assigned work today, and a student emailed to say that they would have been off today.

So I invoked my 'extenuating circumstances' special powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

RTE have ran an article today with UL President claiming that the University mightnt open until june

"University of Limerick (UL) president Des Fitzgerald has said he does not believe the college will reopen before mid-June as he called on people to "take personal responsibility to try and slow down this virus and save lives".

"UL is closed until March 29. Let me be clear; I expect it to be at least mid-June before we return and after this pandemic hopefully peaks."

Could schools be the same?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0316/1123498-university-limerick-coronavirus/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Shn99 wrote: »

Could schools be the same?

Yes, very possible. Who knows? I'm here prepping notes and work for JC students, but I don't know if they'll even sit it.

And for the fella who asked, in normal circumstances I would have been on holidays today , but instead and fielding emails from students and arranging online conferences together.

Well there was no word from the SEC today. My Principal genuinely thinks we will be lucky to be back before the summer. We wondered if the Junior Certificate exams might be postponed or cancelled to allow the Leaving cert exams to run with smaller numbers in each centre. All guess work at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Well there was no word from the SEC today. My Principal genuinely thinks we will be lucky to be back before the summer. We wondered if the Junior Certificate exams might be postponed or cancelled to allow the Leaving cert exams to run with smaller numbers in each centre. All guess work at the moment.

If this can’t be stopped in the next five weeks that is exactly what I assume will happen....LC students should be given priority above all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Probably May at the earliest before it's brought under control; what happens then I don't know, I assume we can't just go straight back to normal.

I have spent most of today adapting my classes for online
    Easier be at school tbh (and today would have been a day off)
    After Easter would be even worse as I have 3 exam classes . Courses will be finished so would be revising and correcting exam questions in class
    Hope we are back after Easter !
    Not a chance before

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

Looks like schools in NI are going to try and force the government's hand on closures. Just seen numerous Facebook announcements from Fermanagh schools all using same wording, that they are remaining closed for rest of this week, and will look at situation then.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

When do teachers realistically see themselves returning back to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

mengele wrote: »
    When do teachers realistically see themselves returning back to school?

Not up to teachers to decide, their guess is as good or bad as anyone's. Id hope it would be after Easter (cant see it improving by March 29th) but impossible to say at this point. May well last well into May and very possible it will see out the academic year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose it will depend on what the figures for new infections show over the next few weeks. If the 'I'm having a jar, and I don't care about the rest of you' types keep gathering in groups, the isolating tactics the rest of us are doing may count for nothing.

On the other hand, if there is a sharp and sustained slowing of new cases, then plans can be made within that scenario.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement