Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

Strumms wrote: »
    Thought that was instant erection.

For some AH posters, I really wouldn’t be surprised :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

This virus is rampant everywhere now.

Really hope it won't be so bad here. Maybe wishful thinking now.

#metoo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shn99 wrote: »

How long are we looking at do you reckon?

The whole of Europe preferably the world needs to go on lockdown for a month and let it burn itself out

It's the only way really to stop it - reality is that is not how the world works so always a chance it comes back from a visitor from a still infected country so ban all visitors from outside Europe for another month

1. Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

fritzelly wrote: »

Someone had a fit of coughing just off camera when I went on there...

2. Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

It's a very tough situation to be in. What's happening out there is changing on a daily/hourly basis. However its seemingly more likely that while you love your daughter, with the way things are as of now in Ireland, you'll have to not see her and hopefully her mum will be open to giving you more time to catch up on lost time when it's all over. Best of Luck

Thanks for your lovely and considerate reply. I really feel the reality of this is hitting me now. I'm glad to be here for my parents but so sad I can't see my own daughter.

3. Advertisement
    4. Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

ixoy wrote: »
      Is there a clear idea of the criteria for testing, and reporting of testing, being used in other countries?
      Ireland's significantly reduced the criteria now and is ramping up testing which is a very good thing for getting a more accurate picture of the disease. Are other countries following the same conditions or is it like we had where they'd only test if you were recently in a hot zone or had confirmed contact with another carrier?
      No, varies from country to country, and from time to time. Usually starts low, ramps up, and then criteria change.

5. Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Austria has banned gatherings of more than 5 people.
      Pam and her 5 friends :confused:

6. Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The whole of Europe preferably the world needs to go on lockdown for a month and let it burn itself out

It's the only way really to stop it - reality is that is not how the world works so always a chance it comes back from a visitor from a still infected country

I’d rather a fûcked economy than a fücked population but try getting that idea through to big business and political dumb asses.

7. Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

sorry if already posted, the American guy stashing hand sanitizer has had it seized,

https://twitter.com/minhtngo/status/1239284711916072960

also may face charges

https://twitter.com/HunterHoagland/status/1239292003466305537?s=20

8. Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

It's the only way really to stop it - reality is that is not how the world works so always a chance it comes back from a visitor from a still infected country

Does a virus burn itself out ? Or is that it will reduce in the summer but it will come back again in the winter and become what we call endemic, in that it will spread pretty much everywhere.”

Dundalk, Co. Louth

9. Advertisement
    10. Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

11. Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Shn99 wrote: »

How long are we looking at do you reckon?

Well china have been battling this since before Xmas. It's now mid march, so that's around 3 months. Even allowing for a month for them to realize what they were seeking with, we're looking at mid may, 2 months before we start to emerge. Best case I think.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nijmegen wrote: »
        The UK science advisor said that they expected the peak in 2-3 months and subsidence to take 2-3 months more. May-June peak and July-October subsidence.

China went into lockdown two months ago now, is another way of looking at it, and is only gradually lifting restrictions.

Some also expect the infection rate to pick up again from November like seasonal flu. The view is that this virus is with us for good and that beyond any vaccine the general populous will build an immunity over the coming years but first we have to get to that point.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised
        “For the public to hear that it could last for 12 months, people are going to be really upset about that and pretty worried about that”, said Paul Hunter, a professor of medicine at the University of East Anglia.

“A year is entirely plausible. But that figure isn’t well appreciated or understood,” added Hunter, an expert in epidemiology.

“I think it will dip in the summer, towards the end of June, and come back in November, in the way that usual seasonal flu does. I think it will be around forever, but become less severe over time, as immunity builds up,” he added.

2. Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

We need to start a rumor that WhatsApp will be taken offline to REALLY freak out the weirdos

I can confirm that the app formerly known as Bebo has been in self isolation for quite some time. Desperately hoping to catch a social virus....

3. Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks for your lovely and considerate reply. I really feel the reality of this is hitting me now. I'm glad to be here for my parents but so sad I can't see my own daughter.

Go see your daughter. Video call her at the very least.

4. Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A month or two away is tiny in comparison to the rest of her life - Skype keeps the contact going

5. Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

Omackeral wrote: »
        Might as well be the first to say it on this thread.

iMaGiNe WhAt REeLiNg In ThE YeArS 2020 wIlL bE LiKe

Exactly was I was thinking today!

6. Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Strumms wrote: »
        I’d rather a fûcked economy than a fücked population but try getting that idea through to big business and political dumb asses.
        Afraid we may have a 241.

7. Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

So what is it going to take for a complete lockdown more deaths? Hopefully when this is all over that it will make people with such mindsets realise that material is only material.

8. Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I know a lot of people don't like the lazy and inaccurate comparisons to the flu but just out of curiosity how many people die from the flu annually in Ireland does anyone know?

9. Advertisement
      10. Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jake1 wrote: »
        sorry if already posted, the American guy stashing hand sanitizer has had it seized,

also may face charges

They should make an example of that guy, give him the full brunt of the law to dissuade others from doing the same if/when it gets worse.

11. Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jake1 wrote: »

also may face charges

Too right the sad fecker - was going around all the small shops as well clearing out their stock in small towns

12. Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What’s the best beer to eat crisps with? :P

Duff

13. Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Does a virus burn itself out ? Or is that it will reduce in the summer but it will come back again in the winter and become what we call endemic, in that it will spread pretty much everywhere.”

Yes without a host. But thats extremely unlikely even with the most extreme lockdown if essential services are maintained.

Our best chance is slowing it down to allow our health services to cope until a vaccine is developed

I thought 9/11 was the scariest thing i would ever see. This is so much closer

14. Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Renjit wrote: »
        It may be an outlier. The virus was pussyfooting around :pac:

Only 3% in Wuhan got it and it was more widespread there.

15. Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bekker wrote: »
        Afraid we may have a 241.

Yep, it’s sure as shît looking this way. However this pans out, remember never fûcking vote FG again.

16. Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's a saying - if there are no hosts then its stopped in tracks, as happened with SARS from a few years ago

17. Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

It's the only way really to stop it - reality is that is not how the world works so always a chance it comes back from a visitor from a still infected country so ban all visitors from outside Europe for another month

That's my thinking too.

Say we implement a 3 month total lockdown and we manage to contain it, basically nobody works and the economy is completely crippled, everybody stays in isolation and we get rid of it here. It means we can't interact with anyone else in the world then until there's a vaccine in place.

Everyone in the planet needs to be on the same page or else we can't open up our borders because we'll be right back to where we were last week.

18. Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

It will hit home even further when someone '' high up'' becomes a victim, whether a celebrity, or politician

All 3 presidential hopefuls are high risk

19. Advertisement
      20. Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Anyone else seeing comments and posts from people on social media who have symptoms but cant get help? Ive seen about 4 today, one woman said she called her gp, the helplines and called for an ambulance as shes really sick and finding it hard to breath but cant get anyone to test her or help her. She was given tablets but said theyre only making her worse. Her child has an underlying condition and he's very sick too with same symptoms. She said she's been ringing and ringing the gp and helpline but its just going around in circles and no ones answering the helpline number.
        Another guy said his flatmate tested positive but no one else in the flat was tested or contacted. This is the most worrying part of this imo. I know form having to call an ambulance for my dad a few months ago, the ambulance didnt show up for 40 minutes, he lives 10 minute walk from the hospital. Our health care system is a shambles and that will be what kills people during this epidemic, not the virus.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement