Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat/general discussion thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Has there ever been any American live action anime adaptations that was good?

One Piece is one of those series I'd like to watch but 900+ episodes put me off. Even Gintama's 300+ is too much to catch up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Evade wrote: »
    Has there ever been any American live action anime adaptations that was good?

One Piece is one of those series I'd like to watch but 900+ episodes put me off. Even Gintama's 300+ is too much to catch up on.

Dragonball Evolution :D

Alita was ok, and GITS was passable but I cant think of any others that were even middling, bar those so bad they are good ones like Fist of the North Star.

Alita was ok, and GITS was passable but I cant think of any others that were even middling, bar those so bad they are good ones like Fist of the North Star.
    I completely forgot about those. I think the only real problem they had was trying to adapt too much.

I completely forgot about those. I think the only real problem they had was trying to adapt too much.

They both have quite a bit of lore to adapt and I guess they were trying to appeal to everyone rather than just those who are familiar with the source material. I don't think you could say Japan does particularly good with anime adaptions either bar a few cult classics.

They both have quite a bit of lore to adapt and I guess they were trying to appeal to everyone rather than just those who are familiar with the source material.
    That's kind of what I mean. They shoved way too much into the films. Had they just focused on one arc and fleshed it out more it could have been better.
    vI don't think you could say Japan does particularly good with anime adaptions either bar a few cult classics.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the shoestring budget the Japanese versions are made on. Even then they veer into so bad it's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will see how Cowboy Bebop turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I've only gotten into One Piece recently (113 episodes in), so a live action series has me intrigued. I just hope with Oda involved he will have some say and be able to make sure the series captures the spirit of his manga.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yup. Netflix behind it, so we may have another Deathnote situation on our hands!

Everyone, set your cringe-o-meters to "Oh god why does this exist?" :D

In fairness willem dafoe was good as ryuk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It doesn't take that long, especially if you use a site to remove filler episodes. When it was at 780 episodes, I started watching and was up to date in 3 months, but I fair binged it, even stopped gaming for a while because it's just that good imo. Watching it weekly is a pain, and it does start to show its flaws then.

The only live action film based on an anime I've enjoyed (that I can recall) was Bleach. It wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible and did the anime justice. But I can't imagine One Piece as a live action, there's just so much that could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It doesn't take that long, especially if you use a site to remove filler episodes. When it was at 780 episodes, I started watching and was up to date in 3 months, but I fair binged it, even stopped gaming for a while because it's just that good imo. Watching it weekly is a pain, and it does start to show its flaws then.

The only live action film based on an anime I've enjoyed (that I can recall) was Bleach. It wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible and did the anime justice. But I can't imagine One Piece as a live action, there's just so much that could go wrong.

The Kenshin movies are pretty good, the fourth one is out this year afaik. Blade of the Immortal is also decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Kenshin movies are pretty good, the fourth one is out this year afaik de gozaru. Blade of the Immortal is also decent

FYP

Anybody remember an anime that was on RTE2 during the day (1 - 3 pm) weekdays during the early 2000's.

It was a fantasy anime where there was this kid and he could either summon or turned into a few different warrior characters.
    Only one I can remember vividly was a character who was dressed in purple and had purple lines under his eyes, he had a sword. Character looked a bit like Dark Magician from Yu Gi Oh.
    I have been looking for it for years but can never find anything one it, as far as I know it was a Japanese anime and not a western cartoon in anime style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Anybody remember an anime that was on RTE2 during the day (1 - 3 pm) weekdays during the early 2000's.

It was a fantasy anime where there was this kid and he could either summon or turned into a few different warrior characters.
    Only one I can remember vividly was a character who was dressed in purple and had purple lines under his eyes, he had a sword. Character looked a bit like Dark Magician from Yu Gi Oh.
    I have been looking for it for years but can never find anything one it, as far as I know it was a Japanese anime and not a western cartoon in anime style.

It was hardly Shinzo?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinzo

If it's not Shinzo skimming this Wikipedia list might help. Be warned it might get you nostalgic.

It was indeed Shinzo. I couldn't find that for years. I shall be reveling in some nostalgia this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Late to the Black Clover party but hooked on it so far. Binged about 70+ episodes in 2 weeks so far

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Late to the Black Clover party but hooked on it so far. Binged about 70+ episodes in 2 weeks so far

I found it lulled there for a while, then it got good again and now we're in pre-arc nonsense for a while. It started off really strong but has some pacing issues, but I still keep watching it as i'm invested in the overall story.

The current One Piece Land of Wano arc is now on Crunchyroll. Up to date and all. Didn't see that coming, but great to finally have a legit way of watching it. Looks good in 1080!

I found it lulled there for a while, then it got good again and now we're in pre-arc nonsense for a while. It started off really strong but has some pacing issues, but I still keep watching it as i'm invested in the overall story.

The current One Piece Land of Wano arc is now on Crunchyroll. Up to date and all. Didn't see that coming, but great to finally have a legit way of watching it. Looks good in 1080!

Got added two weeks ago, just Wano and upto Water 7 atm. The rest is being added periodically, all the episodes are behind the premium paywall though. Crunchyroll is thankfully cheap here at €40 a year, it's gone up to over £60 in the UK.

I could never get into One Piece, watched about 10 episodes but wasn't for me, not a massive fan on shounen but enjoyed Fairy Tail so thought I would give some more shounen a go but just couldn't stay with it.

Just finished watching The Promised Neverland, currently watching Ping Pong Club along with Jojo and Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Cotts72

The problem I have now is I'm fully up to date and much like my hero academia at present I'm watching weekly. Filler type episodes will disappoint me!

The promised never land is a great show, can't wait for that to come back

• Advertisement

Cotts72 wrote: »
    The problem I have now is I'm fully up to date and much like my hero academia at present I'm watching weekly. Filler type episodes will disappoint me!

The promised never land is a great show, can't wait for that to come back

I can see Black Clover going into filler hell if it doesn't end at the end of this season. They blew through the end of the last arc and are now less than 20 chapters behind the manga.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on netflix for the first time, absolute madness :D

Only other anime I've seen is Dragonball (all of it!) and Evangelion

Anything else similar to these?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on netflix for the first time, absolute madness :D

Only other anime I've seen is Dragonball (all of it!) and Evangelion

Anything else similar to these?

JoJo is brilliant, there are multiple seasons of JoJo not on Netflix which are better than parts 1 and 2 such as Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable and Golden Wind which is currently ongoing in dub form.

If you want something that is action packed and over the top similar to JoJo that is also on Netflix then try Baki and Kengan Ashura, both very good "fighting" anime. If you want something with a bit of comedy then Space Dandy and Disastrous life of Saiki K are good anime you can find on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Seconding Space Dandy, really great show, the first couple of episodes arent great but stick with it and it becomes amazing

You'd probably also like Seven Deadly Sins, Attack on Titan, Iron Blooded Orphans, Black Lagoon and Akame ga Kill

I'll have Amazon Prime for another few weeks. I've already watched RE:Creators and Happy Sugar Life and I plan on watching Wotakoi, After the Rain, Inuyashiki, and Vinland Saga. Is there anything else worth watching on it?

I'll have Amazon Prime for another few weeks. I've already watched RE:Creators and Happy Sugar Life and I plan on watching Wotakoi, After the Rain, Inuyashiki, and Vinland Saga. Is there anything else worth watching on it?

Blade of the Immortal, Psycho-Pass season 3.

The Project Itoh films are a good watch, Genocidal Organ, Harmony and Empire of Corpses. They are based of books by the author Project Itoh, he was good friends with Hideo Kojima and wrote some tie-in novel for MGS4 so you can really get that vibe from Genocidal Organ and Harmony. Empire of Corpses is a loose retelling of Frankenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Could give Dororo a spin. Or if you dont mind crude humour, Grand Blue.

Just started the Fate/ series, and followed an article telling me to watch Fate/Zero first. Ufotable production, and you can tell. While not at Demon Slayer levels, it's finely crafted. Story seems a bit all over the place, and some characters are too alike that I keep mixing them up (priest dude and dude that looks like the priest but isn't!). Will stick with it though, keeping me tied over for now.

• Advertisement

Just started the Fate/ series, and followed an article telling me to watch Fate/Zero first. Ufotable production, and you can tell. While not at Demon Slayer levels, it's finely crafted. Story seems a bit all over the place, and some characters are too alike that I keep mixing them up (priest dude and dude that looks like the priest but isn't!). Will stick with it though, keeping me tied over for now.
    Watching Zero first is a bit like watching the Star Wars prequels first. I'd start with Unlimited Blade Works.

Advertisement