Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat/general discussion thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not sure if it's been shared here but the new Humble Book Bundle is a manga bundle, featuring Attack on Titan 1, 2 and 3.

Discovered not one hour after I bought them :pac:

There's 15 mangas in total so might be interesting to some

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/kodansha-manga-bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Good value if you haven't read most of them a good few are available on Crunchyrolls manga service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats everyone watching at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Whats everyone watching at the moment?

Pretty much everything that is on this season. Very strong season for the most part. Not watching Flying Witch, Enride, Kumakumo, Kabanari(f**k Amazon) and Super Lovers. Can't think of any others I'm not watching. Worst of the series would probably be Big Order, its just making crap up as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Started watching Parasyte yesterday, the dubbing is pretty annoying to listen to, but the gf can't handle subs
    Might start One Punch Man again, will have to steal recommendations from here

• Advertisement

Watching JoJo, Flying Witch and Space Patrol Luluco. I generally only bother with one show a season so that's a good bit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching Ace Attorney and Kabaneri. Kinda watching Re:Zero and Kiznaiver

Rather than create a new thread, unless someone thinks it deserves one, I thought I would resurrect the thread for general talk.

But anyway I was wondering what are your favourite live action movies based on anime/manga? And I don't mean The Matrix.

I actually liked the 2 Guyver movies and I remember liking Crying Freeman.
    Thought Blood the Last Vampire was okay.
    For Death Note, I've seen the first 2 movies and the live action tv series. Haven't seen L Change the World or the recent miniseries and movie.
    Hopefully the movie coming later this year is decent.
    I still don't know what I thought of Speed Racer.
    And I saw Fist of the North Star years ago but couldn't tell you anything about it.
    And, of course, the excellent Old Boy.

How's Ghost in the Shell?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Rather than create a new thread, unless someone thinks it deserves one, I thought I would resurrect the thread for general talk.

But anyway I was wondering what are your favourite live action movies based on anime/manga? And I don't mean The Matrix.

I actually liked the 2 Guyver movies and I remember liking Crying Freeman.
    Thought Blood the Last Vampire was okay.
    For Death Note, I've seen the first 2 movies and the live action tv series. Haven't seen L Change the World or the recent miniseries and movie.
    Hopefully the movie coming later this year is decent.
    I still don't know what I thought of Speed Racer.
    And I saw Fist of the North Star years ago but couldn't tell you anything about it.
    And, of course, the excellent Old Boy.

How's Ghost in the Shell?

GitS isn't bad, but is pretty underwhelming. They basically took a few scenes from the 1995 movie and Innocence then cobbled a script around them. Its a very stylish movie, but has no soul to go with it.

As for live action anime/manga adaptations, my favourite would probably be City Hunter with its ridiculous Street Fighter II parody scene.

I've not seen the film but have seen the scene. Jackie at his finest. :)

I just saw the new trailer for the Fullmetal Alchemist movie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is the death note live series available too watch yet?

I was watching as it was released i 2015. Just in the usual manner I would watch latest episodes of tv shows. Except from Japanes cousins instead of American cousins. :)

Is the death note live series available too watch yet?

Its on Crunchyroll.

Its on Crunchyroll.

I thought it was coming too netflix ?

Is it any good?

I thought it was coming too netflix ?

Is it any good?

Netflix are making a new US live action movie.

Haven't seen the series as I don't really have much of an interest in Japanese tv dramas.

Netflix are making a new US live action movie.

Haven't seen the series as I don't really have much of an interest in Japanese tv dramas.

Ahhh the netflix one isn't out till August .

Was in waterstones today and was looking at the manga's and got volume 1 of one piece , any good? was looking for beserk but they didn't have it.

Was in waterstones today and was looking at the manga's and got volume 1 of one piece , any good? was looking for beserk but they didn't have it.

One Piece is very good imo, but very long. Do yourself a favor and get it digitally, its cheaper and doesn't take up a couple of metres of shelf space for the 90+ volumes available.

Berserk is pretty awkward to get, Dark Horse don't tend to be good at keeping it in print. Book Depository have all volumes in stock atm.

I buy most of my manga digitally now. I just can't afford the shelf space. I think some sort of tablet is a must these days if you're into comics and manga.

megaten wrote: »
    I buy most of my manga digitally now. I just can't afford the shelf space. I think some sort of tablet is a must these days if you're into comics and manga.

A Kindle actually displays manga pretty well, pity the high capacity manga edition Kindle is only available in Japan along with the vast manga library available on the Japanese Kindle Unlimited service.

I find having a Shonen Jump sub to be a good investment too at $25 a year.

• Advertisement

A Kindle actually displays manga pretty well, pity the high capacity manga edition Kindle is only available in Japan along with the vast manga library available on the Japanese Kindle Unlimited service.

I find having a Shonen Jump sub to be a good investment too at $25 a year.

Just a normal run of the mill kindle? I have a paper white one I think.

Just a normal run of the mill kindle? I have a paper white one I think.

I have a 2013 touch and it views pages ok, a paperwhite will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Apparently it's a nightmare to work an FUNimation and a twitter account bringing that to light is causing FUNimation to try and censor the information. https://twitter.com/animeoutsiders/status/863162497364357121

So a Cowboy Bebop live action series has been announced.
    Any suggestions for the cast?

New Humble Bundle up for the Fairy Tail manga, up to volume 45 which is about 3/4 of the entire manga for $15.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/fairy-tail-manga-books-bundle

Anyone try the Death Note movie on netflix yet? I'm just about to start it.

Only recently finally got arounf to watch L:Change the World and the Next Generation web series. So still have to watch Death Note:Light Up the New World

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Anyone try the Death Note movie on netflix yet? I'm just about to start it.
    It's bad. There's on or two touches I liked but I'm not sure if they ripped it from one of the Japanese live action movies I haven't seen.

Nope, the other movies all follow the story. Pretty much the only similarities the American movie had to the story was the presence of a Death Note, a Death God and characters called L and Light.
    Though I would be curious what people would think of it if they wren't familiar with the source material or other adaptations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I took the plunge 2 nights ago and started One Piece. 14 episodes in and it's already amazing! Straight into it, no messing around! The amount of episodes is scary, but I've found a list that tells me which filler episodes to skip, so that's about 100 less thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe someone who has seen it all can help me. I'm about 160 episodes into One Piece. Simply amazing so far! But, I have a friend who is up to date and keeps asking me if I've seen how Luffy gets the fruit/back story.

I'm fairly certain I haven't seen it yet, he thought it was in the first 100 or so episodes. I went to Google it but I'm afraid of spoilers.

Does anyone know if I should have seen this yet? I skipped the filler episodes, but I doubt it would be in them?

Advertisement