Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass produced cars

Options
  • 01-03-2020 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Not sure if this is a regular question or even the place for it. But i've a 20 year old car, a vw polo 00 reg. Can this be insured as a classic?

First Ireland, have a blanket ban on anything mass produced, so not sure what to do or where to go.

Regards,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Autoline have recently changed their criteria from 20 to 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm aware of that nonsense from First Ireland, in their T&Cs they specifically mention the Fiat Punto as an example of a mass produced car that is not eligible for classic insurance. Would they not realize that the vast majority of cars are "mass produced". Is a 1965 Austin Cambridge not a classic because it was produced on an assembly line. How about a 20 year old Porsche 911, built in relatively small numbers yes but still on an assembly line.

IIRC I rang them a few years ago enquiring about classic insurance for a 20 year old Clio and was told that it wasn't a classic, I then asked what would a classic be and was told "a BMW or something like that"

As for solutions to this - if you are looking for classic insurance you must have another car anyway. if the Polo is deemed to be not a classic then it might not be that expensive to just take out a second normal policy. I did this with a 99 Megane with AXA and they mirrored my NCB from my main car, also there was no fuss made about the age of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

a normal policy on a 20 yr old car might be near impossible to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BrianD3 wrote: »
    As for solutions to this - if you are looking for classic insurance you must have another car anyway.

You don't have to have another car with First Ireland. I know some people have had issues like above, but to counter that, I've had fantastic service from them over many, many years

I'm still on a policy (that hasn't been available to new customers for years now) that considers a 15 year old car a classic. And I have no insurance in my own name on a normal car. This construction was in fact First Ireland's suggestion

I've had very common mass produced cars on this classic policy, some worth only a few hundred Euro. But yes, they were more prestige marks like BMW and Audi

I've also added and removed numerous cars from this policy without penalty / costs / admin charges, and to give you an idea, I pay less than €300 fully comprehensive on a classic Porsche. And this classic policy has full features, cover is fully comprehensive, has "driving other cars" and it is building no claims bonus. It's also no problem going abroad to pick up cars and drive them home on foreign plates. When I went to add my classic Mercedes to the policy I think they charged me something like €35 for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jollyballs

Autoline have recently changed their criteria from 20 to 25 years.

Autoline was one that I was looking at, but wasnt aware they changed to 25 years. How can they just move the goal post so easy, 5 years is a long time, yet it all happens over night.

Thank you both Brain and Unkel, for me the polo is scrap. Its a sad but true fact, any hopes I had are gone. Only wanted a little runaround, buying a bmw or audi wasnt in the budget.. sigh.

I also dont understand the mass produced excuse, but its there company to run. Wish it wasnt such a wall to climb just to drive an older car. I might try axa and see what they say but I wont be holding my breath either. Thank you all.

• Advertisement

Jollyballs wrote: »
    Autoline was one that I was looking at, but wasnt aware they changed to 25 years. How can they just move the goal post so easy, 5 years is a long time, yet it all happens over night.

Thank you both Brain and Unkel, for me the polo is scrap. Its a sad but true fact, any hopes I had are gone. Only wanted a little runaround, buying a bmw or audi wasnt in the budget.. sigh.

I also dont understand the mass produced excuse, but its there company to run. Wish it wasnt such a wall to climb just to drive an older car. I might try axa and see what they say but I wont be holding my breath either. Thank you all.

I was renewing my policy with them recently and that is what I was told. I was asked to confirm that all vehicles on the policy were 25 years or over.
    I agree - insuring older cars of a certain age in this country certainly isn't easy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Their definition of "classic" is more about "collectible" than "old car". BMWs are collectible, Mercs, Jags and so on, but a Fiat Punto or Nissan Micra isn't.

That must be their thoughts behind it. But it's an enormous stretch to describe my 15 year old E46 BMW 318i SE saloon that I bought for €400 taxed and with a long NCT but with the ABS light on as a classic car! Or my 17 year old very tired, 200k miles, E46 318Ci taxed and NCTd but with brutal spray can paint "repairs" that I bought for €550

Not that I am complaining though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes I think they are trying to limit classic status and stop people insuring old bangers as classic and then using them as runabouts. Your point about your BMW is very valid though.

I have had classic insurance via First Ireland for over 12 years non stop though, with zero claims. Have had numerous cars on that insurance. Several worth only a few hundred quid. None of them worth more than about €6k-€7k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Isambard wrote: »
    yes I think they are trying to limit classic status and stop people insuring old bangers as classic and then using them as runabouts. Your point about your BMW is very valid though.

This is closer to it.

In the slightly bigger classic market next door, underwriting criteria has shifted too. It used to be a piece of cake to insure anything over 20/25 years old, but most cars that would have got to that age in the 1990s would have been hanging.

Now that cars don't dissolve after 5 winters and can easily last much, much longer, the rules of the game have changed and the minimum age for a classic or limited mileage vehicle policy will very much depend on the make/model of the car AND the insurer.

Take for instance a few of examples from the top of my head:

Insurer A that back in the day would happily classic insure a Citroen BX from 20 years old, won't do the same with a 20 yo Xantia.

Insurer A that would happily classic insure a Peugeot 306 Cabriolet at 15 years old, but Insurer B would only do it if it was 20 years old. (I think insurer A would also insure a GTi-6, but if it was a bread-and-butter model it would be FRO)

Insurer A is happy to classic insure a 23 yo Jaguar XJ6 X300, but for a Citroen Synergie people carrier of the same age agrees on adding to a policy, but charging "modern" premium rates.

Depending on the rarity/prestige of the car, over there you could possibly get it down to 10 years old, but that would be the exception.

Here is the same, but some of the excuses are just lame.

First Ireland, policy holder for years tries to add a 21 year old car to a policy to be told "don't insure Peugeots". Yeah, right, I bet you would if it was a 202. Autoline, yes, no bother - €382. I've got another older (34yo) vehicle that isn't registered yet, can I put that on? Yes, but we can't issue a cert until it's registered. Ok, can you do it as laid-up cover until it is? Yes, that'll be €335, it'll be about €50 extra when the time comes. (Two cars, one on the road and one off, both on the same policy and the premium goes down, WTF?)

I've long given up trying to work out how they price premiums, I think they call Johnny Ball

ce8d10527df9eaf861169bc5b1b10bee--uk-politics-my-childhood.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I have always felt that the longer you stay with an insurance company, the easier it is to do business with them. I've had a classic policy for ten years now AXA and had my 300SE on it from day one. Other cars have come and gone but I have never had any issue with adding cars. The last car I added was a '99 320SL which cost €80 to add to the policy. I have a daily driver with them and four classics along with the house. Chopping and changing does you no favours in the long run.

I've found the opposite, the longer you stay with an insurance company, the more they take liberties with the renewal premiums.

€50k + worth of classics (4 cars) for €450, euro cover, towing, 5000 miles each all fully comp and multi driver is okay in my book. €400 for a 25 y/o daily fully comp is okay as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Autoline insured my 99 MX5 and my '01 C-class up to last year (I sold both) - I'll be very pissed if they won't cover the next 'mass-produced' econobox I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

w124man wrote: »
    €50k + worth of classics (4 cars) for €450, euro cover, towing, 5000 miles each all fully comp and multi driver is okay in my book. €400 for a 25 y/o daily fully comp is okay as well

Who is that with?

Who is that with?

AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

w124man wrote: »

5000 miles. .... each ???? you sure about that ???

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    5000 miles. .... each ???? you sure about that ???

Yes. Valued regular customer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Do we know if Autolines 25 year old rule is retrospective? I've a 1998 GS300, 1999 Avensis and a 1986 Volvo 740 insured with them.

I Was VB wrote: »
    Do we know if Autolines 25 year old rule is retrospective? I've a 1998 GS300, 1999 Avensis and a 1986 Volvo 740 insured with them.

I think it only applies to new business. You should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

Back on the subject is the Toyota avensis classed as a mass produce car , Its gone out of production since last year & the first gen model came out in 98 so what are the chances of getting it on a classic policy.

Toyota sold over 90,000 of those horrible cars in Ireland alone so I'd reckon it probably is

Given the underwriting gods minimal appreciation of Japanese cars, probably zero.

Advertisement