Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020 Australian Grand Prix

• 11-03-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭

ESq2tZOWAAANs6C?format=jpg&name=large

F1 is back. Not much change aside from liveries. Hulkenberg and Kubica leave the sport to be relaced by the returning Ocon and 2020 Rookie of the Year in waiting Nicholas Latifi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Massively irresponsible letting this go ahead in light of the Coronavirus. People come from all over the watch F1, as well as the teams coming from multiple countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can't see it going ahead. Be surprised if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can't see it going ahead. Be surprised if it does.

Completely agree, with a number of team members showing symptoms and awaiting test results I think it will take only 1 positive to cancel the whole thing. It is crazy though to think that they could cancel it at this late stage though, an absolute nightmare considering the fans that will have already traveled, the majority of the damage will be already done in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

McLaren have withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its over.

McLaren have withdrawn. Brawn said no races will go ahead without all 10 teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its over.

Not quite, he said championship points wouldn't be awarded if any teams were prevented from attending the race by government travel restrictions, but this wouldn't apply if teams themselves chose to withdraw. Having said that however, with the McLaren guy now confirmed with Covid-19, the only responsible move is to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Its over.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the race went ahead without McLaren. However if another team withdraws well then the race won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the race went ahead without McLaren. However if another team withdraws well then the race won't happen.

Unless it's Williams because let's face it they're very likely to finish last anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

I would expect a cancellation announcement by the end of the day to be honest.

Throws serious doubt over Bahrain as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The chief medical officer for the state of Victoria had previously suggested that any return of a positive test in the suspected cases would likely result in cancellation of the Grand Prix. Surely it's inevitable now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Fair fups to McLaren for making the call. As much as I love F1 and we've all been waiting for the new season, there are much more important things going on at the moment and it's still mind boggling that it has come to the stage where everybody got to Australia in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's becoming more likely that there will be no motorsport events for the foreseeable future. Several MotoGP races postponed til November already.

Theres now 11 hours until FP1

According to journos the Team Principals started a meeting about an hour ago about the race fate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Theres now 11 hours until FP1

According to journos the Team Principals started a meeting about an hour ago about the race fate

11 hours might not seem that long but with the way things are going it is a long time with something like Covid-19 going on. A lot can happen. I think its very highly unlikely the race will go ahead now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

If the 2005 USGP went ahead with only 6 cars then anything is possible, lessons learned or not

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

this will not go ahead

AMKC wrote: »
    11 hours might not seem that long but with the way things are going it is a long time with something like Covid-19 going on. A lot can happen. I think its very highly unlikely the race will go ahead now.

Its not a long time. Its ridiculous that F1/Liberty havent put an end to it. Seems its up to the teams to cancel it as those above them are doing nothing.

OSI wrote: »

The result of the team principal's meeting will probably end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Should have been called off last week. I think it may be necessary to cancel the entire seasons programme of races. Australia, Bahrain and China are already gone. How and when will these races be rescheduled - unless they decide to run a curtailed championship? Otherwise we could still be racing next February!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Again, this will not go ahead, it is nonsense to expect otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cancelled postponed finally.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51849163

Ms

Its not a long time. Its ridiculous that F1/Liberty havent put an end to it. Seems its up to the teams to cancel it as those above them are doing nothing.

What I meant was that a lot can happen in 11 hours. Anyway it does not matter as its postponed now anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Its going ahead now according to reports but without four of the big teams and no fans either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Its going ahead now according to reports but without four of the big teams and no fans either.

4 drivers have already left including Kimi and Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Absolute cluster. Seemed like it was off, now it's going ahead with fans? And many drivers?

Seems like Vettel & Kimi are currently on a flight out of Melbourne (unless the someone has used real flight numbers in an elaborate hoax). McLaren have already pulled out.

Fans are surely milling around for FP1 already as it's 10am in Melbourne, yet still no communication.

I really can't imagine how this could have been mismanaged any more. Tell the promoters to do one, and just call it off publicly.

Can anyone hazard a guess at Gunthers opinion of this ......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Madness - fans currently queuing outside, support races apparently still going ahead and the Victorian Premier saying no fans will be allowed in. This is a huge clusterfúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Bunch of ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Burkie1203 wrote: »

"We look like a bunch of....."

Advertisement