Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Irish Language Question

Options
  • 11-03-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked to death. I am currently getting ready for the 2020 recruitment campaign to open up, so I can get my application in. My biggest fear looking forward is the second language requirement.

While doing my Leaving Certificate, I passed ordinary English, but failed ordinary level Irish, and did not sit any international language. Will this impact my changes of progressing through the recruitment campaign? From what I read online there is an assessment test available, but is this exclusive to foreign nationals who wish to display their proficiency with Irish?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LB1197

zoomanjo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked to death. I am currently getting ready for the 2020 recruitment campaign to open up, so I can get my application in. My biggest fear looking forward is the second language requirement.

While doing my Leaving Certificate, I passed ordinary English, but failed ordinary level Irish, and did not sit any international language. Will this impact my changes of progressing through the recruitment campaign? From what I read online there is an assessment test available, but is this exclusive to foreign nationals who wish to display their proficiency with Irish?

As far as I know it's open to everyone who doesn't possess the requirements. Best of luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Macu17ab

Hi guys,

You need a pass in any 2nd language in your leaving cert. The PAS will provide an assessment in Irish which will suffice for a leaving cert pass. It is an oral and then an essay type question. Irish is the only language that they offer this assessment for, although a proven proficiency in a 2nd language IE if you are Polish and speak fluently is also acceptable. I'm not 100% on the last part, but fairly confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

Hi guys,

Yes you can apply but via the Irish stream. Will need to sit exams, Oral & essay. Tricky enough I heard but if you prepare you can do it.

Advertisement