Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic next Friday?

Options
  • 06-03-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm heading up North to Donegal next Friday evening at 7 from Dublin. Unfortunately I'll be getting bus Eireann and will getting on at the airport although I do have the alternative of getting the plane to Carrickfin for same price. I usually get the bus at 2 on a Friday and traffic is ok apart from one time on the October bank holiday when it was absolute hectic and took nearly 2 hours to get out of Dublin and it was well over 5 hours before got home. So considering next weekend is Paddy's should I expect a similar feat and so book the flight in advance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Being Paddy’s weekend things will be hectic – and if it was me and I could afford it, I’d take the plane.

But with the coronavirus cases starting to ramp up here, who knows what things will be like next weekend – the I.Times had an article today suggesting that the entire Paddy’s Day festival should be cancelled among other things. So it might actually be very quiet over the next weekend as everyone stays at home – if the number of virus cases starts rising exponential rate.

I’d book the flight – if things get so serious that even the planes get grounded, well by the same measures the roads will probably be very light too. And with the flight being cancelled, you should get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is it technically a bank holiday weekend considering the holiday falls on a Tuesday? Yes, a lot of people will take the Monday off but most won't or can't so I'd say you will not encounter the maximum traffic madness of a normal Monday bank holiday weekend.

Of course with the coronavirus, travel patterns may be skewed also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Carrickfin Airport. A source of much mystery to those of us in Inishowen who would be over half way to Dublin by the time we’d get there.

Is it for civil servants? Is that why it exists?

A better use of resources would be to close it and subsidise flights from Derry to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Carrickfin Airport. A source of much mystery to those of us in Inishowen who would be over half way to Dublin by the time we’d get there...
    This.

Whe you factor in getting to and from the airports, having to be there long before the flight takes off etc., I can't see in being much quicker (unless you live beside Dublin Airport and are going somewhere close to Carrickfinn).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

This.

Whe you factor in getting to and from the airports, having to be there long before the flight takes off etc., I can't see in being much quicker (unless you live beside Dublin Airport and are going somewhere close to Carrickfinn).

Yeah the train from to Sligo is another possibility for me. You see I got the bus from Dublin to Donegal before at half 2 on a bank holiday weekend and wasn't back till half 8 in Donegal town, don't think I could deal with that again haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

Carrickfin Airport. A source of much mystery to those of us in Inishowen who would be over half way to Dublin by the time we’d get there.

Is it for civil servants? Is that why it exists?

A better use of resources would be to close it and subsidise flights from Derry to Dublin.

They might drop the Carrickfin flights now considering Pat the Cope is retired. Hard to say were they could locate an airport that's equidistant for everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Fly to Carrickfinn. I live 35 mins from Carrickfinn. For the morning flight, I can leave my house at 6.45am, get a cup of coffee at the airport, and be in the arrivals area in Dublin airport by 8.45am. It would take me 4 hours if I drove. On the way home, you get to use the fast track lane at security as it's a domestic flight, and you're driving out of the car park within 10 minutes of the aircraft touching down. And all for €72 return. It would cost me more to drive, and I'd have all the stress of driving that horrible A5/N2/M1!

Advertisement