Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad Parking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Happens all over the town am afraid.Really annoying.People just don't care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

That's nothing new there,usually someone in the hairdresser if early or the chipper later on.
    Been living up the hill from there 14 years now and was always the same,often bringing the kids when they were younger in a buggy around there had no option, but to walk out on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's weird, in many towns parking without a disk will get you a fine very fast. It's easy revenue for the local council.

I assume this kind of parking can not get you a fine? If it could it would be an even easier source of revenue for the council because of how prevalent it is.
    Bylaws should be changed to allow the local council to profit from people parking on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Top of the Folly outside the scout den and at St Anne's Tennis Club is a horror show most nights.

They park on the footpath right at the lights outside the scout den.

Not only can you not walk on the path or if you were in a wheelchair you cannot pass, but they also block the traffic on the road if there are cars stopped at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Audis can park wherever they please. I thought this was common knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Note how cracked the footpath is by vehicles mounting, driving on footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Show your disapproval by lifting their wipers or pusingh in their mirrors, being "careful" not to cause any damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

tuxy wrote: »
    I assume this kind of parking can not get you a fine? If it could it would be an even easier source of revenue for the council because of how prevalent it is.
    Bylaws should be changed to allow the local council to profit from people parking on the footpath.

Oh yes it can. To quote the law, this bell-end is to my eyes in breach of at least 1 if not 2 provisions:
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

The mentioned Article 5 strangely doesn't hold exemptions for Audis - no matter how much Audi drivers might be convinced that it does :D

I think the problem is the local council do not get the revenue from this fine.
    If they did there would be more enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Shocking bad manners but id be concerned about identifying the owner. Was it wise to include the reg? The person could easily take a defamation case against the website for publicly broadcasting the reg. Im not taking sides here but is what you posted any different to posting a picture of someone getting out of a car parked in a disabled space and being fully identifiable? Tread carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Shocking bad manners but id be concerned about identifying the owner. Was it wise to include the reg? The person could easily take a defamation case against the website for publicly broadcasting the reg. Im not taking sides here but is what you posted any different to posting a picture of someone getting out of a car parked in a disabled space and being fully identifiable? Tread carefully.
    Unless the photo is photoshopped, there's no defamation.

The photo is of a public space.
    The poster has made an observation that is backed up by the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

Hel no, name and shame especially the ones who park in disabled spots with no badge.

Utterly no respect for people with mobility issues or with prams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Drive down by De la Salle every day they park in the cycle lane and the footpath and nothing is ever done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

There is no law against taking a photo of anyone in a public place, as long as you're not intending to profit from the photo (e.g., using it in an advertising campaign to sell your own goods). Taking a photo of an individual getting out of a car parked in a disabled space is not an issue. What could be an issue is posting that photo saying "this guy has nothing wrong with him" - you have no way of knowing that just from seeing them exit a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Despite whoever's in charge of the Garda Twitter account having a hissy-fit about photos of vehicles blocking bike lanes being posted with licence plates visible, the data protection commissioner came out and said there are no issues - there is in general no way for a member of the general public to link a license plate to an individual. The Guards could of course follow it up, but generally don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

More people should be encouraged to cycle.

Unfortunately those people are not playing high levels of fuel tax so it's not a good thing as far as the government is concerned.

It is insane that most people that commute are within cycling distance even for someone that is relatively unfit. They wouldn't be unfit for long if they did cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Darc19 wrote: »
    Unless the photo is photoshopped, there's no defamation.

The photo is of a public space.
    The poster has made an observation that is backed up by the photo.

Just to point out that a defamation offence can in fact arise from publishing photos like these. An example (albeit unlikely) would be:

1 – Self-employed Paddy loans his car to somebody else, who parks illegally in a disabled parking space.
    2 – A photo of the car parked there appears online, with registration plate visible.
    3 – Somebody says “That’s Paddy’s car. He’s an awful **** to park there”. They tell somebody else about it, who tells somebody else, who tells somebody else, and so on. They all agree he’s an awful ****.
    4 – One of the people who hear about it is one of Paddy’s top clients. They refuse to do any more business with Paddy because “he’s the sort of person who parks in disabled spaces” and they feel strongly about that sort of thing.
    5 – Paddy has now suffered both reputational loss and actual loss as a result of the photo being posted online. And that’s the very definition of defamation…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just to point out that a defamation offence can in fact arise from publishing photos like these. An example (albeit unlikely) would be:

1 – Self-employed Paddy loans his car to somebody else, who parks illegally in a disabled parking space.
    2 – A photo of the car parked there appears online, with registration plate visible.
    3 – Somebody says “That’s Paddy’s car. He’s an awful **** to park there”. They tell somebody else about it, who tells somebody else, who tells somebody else, and so on. They all agree he’s an awful ****.
    4 – One of the people who hear about it is one of Paddy’s top clients. They refuse to do any more business with Paddy because “he’s the sort of person who parks in disabled spaces” and they feel strongly about that sort of thing.
    5 – Paddy has now suffered both reputational loss and actual loss as a result of the photo being posted online. And that’s the very definition of defamation…

Paddy needs to pick his friends better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

What's the scenario if Paddy had parked there himself (no friend involved)? Steps 2-5 still happen, but in this situation has Paddy been defamed? He's still suffering loss of reputation and actual loss, but he brought it on himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thoie wrote: »
    What's the scenario if Paddy had parked there himself (no friend involved)? Steps 2-5 still happen, but in this situation has Paddy been defamed? He's still suffering loss of reputation and actual loss, but he brought it on himself.

No defamation then, since Paddy is in fact the culprit himself, and as you rightly say, brings it all on himself.

The point is that the danger with photos of unoccupied cars (or dashcam footage where the driver can't be identified) is that a person can be held responsible in the minds of others for dangerous or illegal acts which they're not actually guilty of.

As I said already, it's unlikely. But the possibility still exists all the same.

P.S. - Bear in mind that if Paddy were to bring proceedings against the person who published the photo and/or the outlet that allowed it, it's up to them to prove that Paddy was reponsible. It's not up to Paddy to prove that he wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We ve become too use to our own cars, including myself, it's difficult to get people to change when use to such convenience, also factor in our weather, and you may forget about. Increasing public transport might help a bit, but we truly have come accustomed to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Got a taxi the other day with my mother to the doctors up in Slievekeale. She can only walk a few steps so we bring a wheelchair in the boot.

The set down/ambulance only area just inside on the left had 3 unattended vehicles in it, a car, a SUV and a big VW van.

The drop kerbs at either end were blocked, so we had to walk out to the path on the main road to get on the path with the chair.

A woman with a kid walked past us, hers was one of the cars, the SUV. She hadn't even been in the doctors, she'd parked in there in the set down while collecting little "Blathnaid" from the Presentation school !!! The a van was emblazoned with it's owner's name on, a well known local painting firm (Lismore park, there's a clue !) and I saw the man coming towards me from the chemists and challenged the man to be told that he didn't give a f*ck (the BAD f word father, you know the one I mean) about my mother. I said you've really convinced me who I should get me house painted by......... ignorant old fool.

People need to start thinking about others. Not just generation snowflake "caring". And they must go beyond putting crap on facebook saying "be kind".

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

91wx763 wrote: »
    Got a taxi the other day with my mother to the doctors up in Slievekeale. She can only walk a few steps so we bring a wheelchair in the boot.

The set down/ambulance only area just inside on the left had 3 unattended vehicles in it, a car, a SUV and a big VW van.

The drop kerbs at either end were blocked, so we had to walk out to the path on the main road to get on the path with the chair.

A woman with a kid walked past us, hers was one of the cars, the SUV. She hadn't even been in the doctors, she'd parked in there in the set down while collecting little "Blathnaid" from the Presentation school !!! The a van was emblazoned with it's owner's name on, a well known local painting firm (Lismore park, there's a clue !) and I saw the man coming towards me from the chemists and challenged the man to be told that he didn't give a f*ck (the BAD f word father, you know the one I mean) about my mother. I said you've really convinced me who I should get me house painted by......... ignorant old fool.

People need to start thinking about others. Not just generation snowflake "caring". And they must go beyond putting crap on facebook saying "be kind".
    Name and shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Tarzann wrote: »
    Name and shame!

If I hadn't had me mother with me who was getting upset about me arguing the camera would have been out. I've given a big enough clue about the business vehicle above.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Tarzann wrote: »
    Name and shame![/QUOTE

Clue : name similar to the singer who had the following hits, "I Can Make You Feel Good", "MFEO"

Advertisement