Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The Irish times heading for their bus connects article; “number of trees to be felled under bus route scheme jumps from 1500 to 2500”.

Only when you read into the article do they mention that they are mostly off road trees that are smaller and younger, and that overall there’s going to be less mature trees felled.

Nice to see where they still lie in that court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭trellheim

Which consultation was held over Christmas?
    I never said it was over Xmas, I said I checked in an Xmas residents get-together about the "consultations" since it was the first time to chat to a lot of folks over the year They were not publicised at all in our area if they were held at all.

Full disclosure : a leaflet/pamphlet for the wrong QBC came in the door of everyones gaff( and I read it in detail as I wondered when they would stop discussing Clongriffin and start discussing our area which is nowhere near that QBC ) Well publicised - no I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

trellheim wrote: »
    I never said it was over Xmas, I said I checked in an Xmas residents get-together about the "consultations" since it was the first time to chat to a lot of folks over the year They were not publicised at all in our area if they were held at all.

Full disclosure : a leaflet/pamphlet for the wrong QBC came in the door of everyones gaff( and I read it in detail as I wondered when they would stop discussing Clongriffin and start discussing our area which is nowhere near that QBC ) Well publicised - no I don't think so.

Okay but if you're talking about the bus corridors, I'm not sure what consultation you are referring to - you mean the one from November 2018 to May 2019?

If so, I find it crazy that people weren't aware of this. They had ads on the sides of buses, on bus shelters, posters inside buses, etc. publicising it. Here's an example from the Network consultation, but the corridor consultation was similarly publicised:

75472255_1258740960980598_8760577473815546221_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=xH4Iv2HT6WcAX-0w2D4&oh=9442256509379812f0d026b237a72d0d&oe=5E8EEF0F

That all said, there's a bus corridor consultation going on right now until 17th April, and there's a public information event on next week:

public-information-events-cbc.png

These public information events don't generally contain any info that isn't available on busconnects.ie but they will likely have a rep present who can hear and respond to specific feedback.

I'm genuinely not sure what more the NTA can do here - this has been a project with a huge amount of well-publicised public consultation. I think to do anything more would not bring the right cost/benefit to the project, because if these posters are all over the buses and bus shelters, if someone doesn't see them that suggests they don't use the bus very much.

you mean the one from November 2018 to May 2019?
    Yes.

suggests they don't use the bus very much.
    we're inside the canals and its walk or bus for most of the estate

Looking at that list of meetings our QBC meeting is miles away from us if I read it right, wheres the 46a in all that

I'm genuinely not sure what more the NTA can do here - this has been a project with a huge amount of well-publicised public consultation.
    I disagree completely its been useless and badly publicised from our point of view

Dont get me wrong I'm in and out of this forum and this is really the only place I see or hear anything ( * note I did say we got the wrong flyer in the door, but that was it )

we're inside the canals and its walk or bus for most of the estate

Looking at that list of meetings our QBC meeting is miles away from us if I read it right, wheres the 46a in all that

Why are you looking for a specific bus route? You realise that this is a consultation about Core Bus Corridors? It's about the specific physical infrastructure that will support the whole project, not about route maps.

The last CBC public consultation happened between Nov 2018 and May 2019, this is now the second round with revised infrastructural plans based on first round feedback.

The BusConnects Network Redesign is a completely different project with its own consultations, and that's the one that is about changing the route map of the buses in Dublin. There was a second round of public consultation for this project between October and December of 2019.

The only CBC that the 46A will use will be CBC-13, which affects the 46A between Leeson Street and Kill Lane.

Which part of the 46A route are you interested in?

which you can read information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Of all the things that you could criticise about BusConnects (or any other major public transport investment for that matter) is public consultation. We're now having another physical infrastructure consulation, in addition to the routes re-design consultation.

If anything, you'd criticise the fact that there have been so many consultations that the project is delayed 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I disagree completely its been useless and badly publicised from our point of view

Some areas definitely either got the wrong information or no information but these are the minority. Bear in mind others have criticised the NTA for spending money advertising busconnects on billboards and the media so there are also upper limits in how much effort can be made to get people to engage.

I wish there were better, more coordinated and most importantly faster ways of getting public consultations done but the reality is most people aren't hugely bothered or impressed by things the government says it's going to do. It's only when things start actually changing that they take notice and want to know why they weren't asked.

sharper wrote: »
    I wish there were better, more coordinated and most importantly faster ways of getting public consultations done

Well there are, but elderly people (thankfully decreasingly) don't use the internet much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well there are, but elderly people (thankfully decreasingly) don't use the internet much.

I mean more like say the revenue PAYE portal where you can log and and see everything related to your tax affairs except for planning issues. You have separate county council planning sites which are mostly awful and don't cover consultation anyway.

Older people certainly get trotted out to try and stop any kind of progress in public transport but I don't think they're the problem in themselves. They have different needs for sure but much like with the trees I don't think those complaining on their behalf are all that sincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Has anyone made any submissions to the NTA about:

the need for anpr cameras. (Not sure if it in their remit or a legislative thing, probably the latter)

On certain QBCS making them bus and cyclist only, ie banning taxis in some cases. I’m thinking about George’s street before the right hand turn onto dame street in Dublin.

Traffic light transponders that recognise when a bus is coming and turn green to allow that traffic containing the bus through the lights. (Could be used where there’s no space for a bus gate or qbc etc).

• Advertisement

Simple stuff that would speed up the network

A.I at O'Connell bridge with cameras pointing west along the north quays (count number of buses waiting to turn south )

Cameras also pointing down D'Olier St ( count number of buses waiting at fleet street junction ) -

Work quickly to come up with algorithm that prioritizes clearing D'Olier St as it holds far more than LUAS (balance against cameras counting on Rosie Hackett/Hawkins St to ensure they get some as w ell )

Make LUAS track on College Green (the old 15 terminus) usable by buses as well, end the lunacy of that space being dedicated to trams it should have dived under trinity not around

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I havent seen the new plans but read that the NTA are saying that something like there will be 40% less trees cut down under them.

Anyone know what this means in real terms, is there concrete examples where under the old plans there was an uninterrupted bus lane but now the bus will have to join the main line of car traffic? Disaster if so, BC has to be about speeding up journey times to get people to switch to public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I havent seen the new plans but read that the NTA are saying that something like there will be 40% less trees cut down under them.

Anyone know what this means in real terms, is there concrete examples where under the old plans there was an uninterrupted bus lane but now the bus will have to join the main line of car traffic? Disaster if so, BC has to be about speeding up journey times to get people to switch to public transport.

Its 40% less mature trees - there's cases, e.g. around Liffey Valley, where hundreds of scrubby trees planted after road widening in 2010/1 will be cut down and replaced, with the figures actually increased from previous estimates. They're not the huge London Planes that everyone got worked up over

Most of the changes involve removing more car space instead although there's a few capitulations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Muahahaha wrote: »

In cases where the bus lane is interrupted, there are normally some other measures proposed. Bus gates, bus priority signals, one way traffic etc.

There are no cases that I can think of where bus priority disappears entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Simple stuff that would speed up the network

A.I at O'Connell bridge with cameras pointing west along the north quays (count number of buses waiting to turn south )

Cameras also pointing down D'Olier St ( count number of buses waiting at fleet street junction ) -

Work quickly to come up with algorithm that prioritizes clearing D'Olier St as it holds far more than LUAS (balance against cameras counting on Rosie Hackett/Hawkins St to ensure they get some as w ell )

Make LUAS track on College Green (the old 15 terminus) usable by buses as well, end the lunacy of that space being dedicated to trams it should have dived under trinity not around

Amen to that Trinners bit.

From memory,I recall some conversations relating to a Tunnell under the Campus.

Was it from a consortium offering a build & operate scenario ?

I think TCD's senior people had a coronary at the very thought of machines burrowing neath their hallowed halls etc,which,of course,would immediately collapse into the chasm.

Once that fear had been instilled,it was game over.

Looking at the current College Green codology,it is hard to accept that it is the result of several years of professional planning and design across a broad swathe of disciplines.

Some Senior Engineer actually signed-off on this mess....Inspected,Assessed Reviewed and Approved a setup largely unsuitable for purpose,and in many areas significantly increasing the risk profile for users.

A class of Senior Infants,issued with a foolscap page and some crayons,would find it difficult to any worse.

With the same group of 'Professionals' remaining at the Irish Administrative Helm,we can expect the good ship BusConnects to maintain it's new course through the Iceberg field. :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

It's all well and good to blame the 'professionals' for College Green, but what has to be acknowledged is that their hands, legs and everything else were tied by the politicians and myriad of public and private stakeholders (Dublin Bus, taxi men, the car park cartels, and so on) who shoe horn themselves into everything.

Their only choice was to conjure up the 'solution' that we now see i.e. a mess of pedestrians, cyclists, taxis, buses and trams AND maintaining private vehicle access at certain times because that keeps all the vested interests happy to some extent.

The useless 100m bi-directional cycle lane is a good example of engineers having to squeeze a solution in to tick a box on a list which was developed out of a protracted exercise in compromise.

What is required to sort the mess is not a tunnel but rather a decision on what kind of transport modes we allow into the core city centre in future.

What space are you referring to? You mean the part where the Trinity stop is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭p_haugh

What space are you referring to? You mean the part where the Trinity stop is?
    Doesn’t matter if that’s made a bus lane as they’ll be put back into the one lane choke point right after it.

p_haugh wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter if that’s made a bus lane as they’ll be put back into the one lane choke point right after it.

But that’s the only part that the buses aren’t sharing space with trams here though, so I’m confused what the poster is referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Don't forget that elderly people are the people who invented the internet!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whatever about bus gates, I'm skeptical about the idea of "bus priority signals". I assume the idea is that the signal will detect a bus arriving and give it a green light. IIRC a similar system was installed in the 80s or 90s and quickly fell out of use; even if it is properly maintained, what use is a green light if the shared lane ahead is already blocked with cars?

loyatemu wrote: »
    whatever about bus gates, I'm skeptical about the idea of "bus priority signals". I assume the idea is that the signal will detect a bus arriving and give it a green light. IIRC a similar system was installed in the 80s or 90s and quickly fell out of use; even if it is properly maintained, what use is a green light if the shared lane ahead is already blocked with cars?
    See the signal controlled priority section on page 5 of each corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Peregrine wrote: »
    See the signal controlled priority section on page 5 of each corridor.

yeah looks great, but what if that single lane is already bumper-to-bumper, which in many places it will be.
    (Bus gates are different as they're effectively cul-de-sacs for non-bus traffic and the cars are turning off onto a different road.)

yeah looks great, but what if that single lane is already bumper-to-bumper, which in many places it will be.
    (Bus gates are different as they're effectively cul-de-sacs for non-bus traffic and the cars are turning off onto a different road.)

Yeah, it only works for short sections. The longer the section is, the less effective it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

We had these circa 2002 under the cityswift plan. It was switched off because, although it improved bus journey times, it delayed motorists. We have the bus gate on bachelors walk now with bus only signals but typically this lane is tailed back 1km with cars ignoring the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's a similar (not the same) bus priorty setup near Bushy Park
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3064306,-6.2897148,3a,75y,30.49h,70.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMSyFLBJRr-99KCnYGSVtLw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    Although there's a yield sign on the ground, the cars are stopped via the signal while the bus is given a green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

cgcsb wrote: »
    We had these circa 2002 under the cityswift plan. It was switched off because, although it improved bus journey times, it delayed motorists. We have the bus gate on bachelors walk now with bus only signals but typically this lane is tailed back 1km with cars ignoring the bus lane.

It's only effective when combined with anpr enforcement of the bus lane and yellow boxes imo. I also wish they'd get rid of the taxis from those bus lanes as they tend to duck and dive between whichever lane they think they'll get through first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Alkers wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3064306,-6.2897148,3a,75y,30.49h,70.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMSyFLBJRr-99KCnYGSVtLw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    Although there's a yield sign on the ground, the cars are stopped via the signal while the bus is given a green light.

Does it do...anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Alkers wrote: »

There’s more on Rathgar Rd and Terenure Rd East.

Which begs the question, if these ones actually work, then why are they proposing to change the road layout at these locations? It would suggest that they don’t work currently so we’re essentially trying to reinvent a broken wheel!!

• Advertisement

Last Stop wrote: »
    There’s more on Rathgar Rd and Terenure Rd East.

Which begs the question, if these ones actually work, then why are they proposing to change the road layout at these locations? It would suggest that they don’t work currently so we’re essentially trying to reinvent a broken wheel!!

The only one I've seen in operation is on Templeogue Road. Locals will not stop for it.

So it's not so much a broken wheel as it is a system that was never properly implemented or abandoned with subsequent changes to other junctions.

Advertisement