Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation or leak on

Options
  • 09-03-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

The attic is converted. In one of the crawlspaces the attic is sealed up, plasterboard was attached to rafters and skimmed over. A nice storage area but prevents visual inspection of roof and rafters. We got house this way. However there is now a section of the plasterboard (near the chimney) that looks 'damp'. Tiny amount of skim is coming loose. However, I don't think it's a leak as there are no brown stains. (I've experienced roof leakages before) I had few different people view this, and they too agreed it wasn't a roof leak - one person even said the mix, or the tools/water may have been dirty when it was made up and applied. Would this be condensation or a bad mix ? There is a severe cold draft coming into this crawlspace and we started to use chimney since Christmas. And without tearing it down, I've no idea if behind the plasterboard, there is insulation. Would love to be able to attach images.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

How long is the stain been there? is it new or have you just never noticed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 notadrummer

I think it's fairly new, about three months. But it could also be case I've never really noticed it before. The crumbling I mentioned resembles the surface of the moon :) like mini craters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I’m fairly sure I’ve had that on a ceiling before. Drip leak from a central heating pipe left bubbled surface but no stain.

Can you not cut out a small piece of plasterboard to investigate. Easily repaired afterwards

hesker wrote: »
    I’m fairly sure I’ve had that on a ceiling before. Drip leak from a central heating pipe left bubbled surface but no stain.

I've seen this before myself, but in the attic there are no heating pipes this high.

Can you not cut out a small piece of plasterboard to investigate. Easily repaired afterwards

Ultimately, you're right, need to cut a swab open to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sounds like a leak.its storage so unlikely to be condensation related unless there's a vertical bathroom fan into the space behind

Cut it off and check

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Sounds like a leak.its storage so unlikely to be condensation related unless there's a vertical bathroom fan into the space behind

Cut it off and check

I really can't deal with another roof leak :(
    But it's time to get it open.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

The roof space needs to be properly ventilated or you'll end up with worse issues like your roof timbers rotting. Whoever did the work in the attic might not have left enough ventilation space above the plasterboard (if they packed the void between the rafters with insulation) and the humid air in the house is rising and condensing on the cold roof and dripping back onto the plasterboard. Therefore you might not have a leak as such but you could have more serious long term issues. Taking down some plasterboard to investigate what is behind it is a good start. I'd also check the attic insulation in the crawlspaces beside the converted attic room. If the surface is wet, it could be a sign moisture is condensing and running down the back of the plasterboard and dripping onto the insulation. You could also check your soffit vents to see if they are clear of insulation so that air can circulate in from the outside and properly ventilate the attic space. You can install vents in the felt if this is possible for you.

Advertisement