Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or Private Care?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Geuze wrote: »
    I presume as Slaintecare is rolled out, all private maternity care in public hosps will cease?

I doubt the health service could afford to put an end to private maternity care in public hospitals. I’d say it’s a major cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HildaG85

With the private care, at what stage do you actually pay? Do you get the bill afterwards once your insurance has taken care of some of it?

I believe its consultants costs mainly, but even the very best plans only cover 850 of these consultant costs.

Do you pay as you go? or do you settle afterwards?

HildaG85 wrote: »
    With the private care, at what stage do you actually pay? Do you get the bill afterwards once your insurance has taken care of some of it?

I believe its consultants costs mainly, but even the very best plans only cover 850 of these consultant costs.

Do you pay as you go? or do you settle afterwards?

I’m sure it’s similar but slightly different everywhere. But you’ll definitely be told very quickly! I got a letter with my first appointment letter telling me what was what. I think it was €1000 at my first appt, €900 at 20 weeks and the balance at 36 weeks. Something like that anyhow.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s similar but slightly different everywhere. But you’ll definitely be told very quickly! I got a letter with my first appointment letter telling me what was what. I think it was €1000 at my first appt, €900 at 20 weeks and the balance at 36 weeks. Something like that anyhow.

You’ll probably need to pay it all yourself, and then claim anything you can back from health ins

So you pay on each visit to a consultant? and are their fees capped? or do you pay more if there are complications etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just out of interest why were there 14 people? That seems excessive. Apart from me and my husband I had two midwives both times, I was a public patient.

Personally I hate hospitals. I did domino so I was hardly ever there and went home within a couple of hours, I have health insurance but felt it was a waste to use it.

I had six midwives and a Dr with me, the paediatric team was also there, I think there was about 6 of them too, there was also people coming in and out of the room. I was public too.

When the baby starts going into distress and the heart rate is falling, oxygen levels are falling it's all hands on deck. I couldn't fault the level of care we received. At no point did I feel if I went private it would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

So you pay on each visit to a consultant? and are their fees capped? or do you pay more if there are complications etc...

We paid a set fee in a few installments. No extra charge when complications arose and I had a lot of extra appointments. Consultant also delivered all of mine by section, came in on my second to deliver baby on a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Cash_Q wrote: »

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with anyone, but I think these comments suggest that a public patient may be managed by staff who don't have optimum training and experience, and who wouldn't have done these procedures thousands of times, which I think can't be true.

I can't afford anything other than private care and I couldn't fault the care I received last time around. As another poster said, it's one time in life you feel your taxes actually get you something!

This is exactly how I feel. I don't think of it as being "for free" because it is public - I feel that we have paid for it many times over. :D

It's good to know that delivery and recovery are in private rooms, and I can definitely see the merit in having others around who are going through the same thing - I literally do not know what I am doing! :pac::pac:

lazygal wrote: »
    We paid a set fee in a few installments. No extra charge when complications arose and I had a lot of extra appointments. Consultant also delivered all of mine by section, came in on my second to deliver baby on a day off.

Can I ask where you are based? don't mean to be too personal

And can I also ask exactly what you got for the 3k, how many visits, scans etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Yellowmac

It's probably different everywhere but for semi private in Rotunda we paid 1100 upfront at our booking visit (12 weeks) and then claimed 650 back from my health insurance. I can claim another bit back in tax this year. My inpatient stay for having the baby was billed directly to VHI so I didn't have anything to do with it- just received a claim statement for my records. It was handled between insurer and hospital. Not sure if fully private may be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No those are total fees that need to be paid directly to consultant. I had more than visits to consultant both as private and public patient. Private room and hospital cost will be claimed directly off your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Hi guys,

Recently found out i'm pregnant, in my mid 30s and based down in midlands. Have excellent health insurance but obviously the consultant fees will be extra.

Spoke with doctor in the last 2 weeks and she said in this part of country there is only 2 options, Public or private. There is no semi private option as birth will be at a public hospital in east galway (as is standard for this part of country).

She has informed me that there is very little difference in the quality of mid wife led care and has told me that 3k can be spent better elsewhere. Can anyone give me some advice as to whether we should proceed publicly?

She is of the opinion that in this part of country the private option does not really provide any great extras to justify the cost. Quieter hospital (maternity ward), smaller town where public clinic for scans is (we would also get our own scans done regularly to make up for shortfall in amount we would get publicly).

Also she told us that there is no guarantee the consultant will be present and we may have stand in on occasions. Can anyone tell me about their experience in the midlands?

Thanks a million in advance

See my earlier post. Same hospital i think.

Not on each visit. Just three instalments at 13, 20 and 36 weeks. I was seen roughly every 4 weeks initially from 13- maybe 32 weeks, then maybe fortnightly. Tbh, I thought it was a bit excessive to be going in so often that early, sometimes I would push the appointments out a bit.

Can I ask where you are based? don't mean to be too personal

And can I also ask exactly what you got for the 3k, how many visits, scans etc...

I attended Holles Street. I had complications so on my first I saw consultant every 2 weeks or so after 20 weeks. She delivered baby by section. Got a private room. Second pregnancy had complications at the end, she wasn't supposed to be in on the Friday or over the weekend but came in to see how I was doing and had me in theatre within 10 mins. Found the public ward absolutely chaotic and there seemed to be no one making decisions until she arrived in. Had baby out very quickly and I got a private room after a night on a semi p ward. Third time I needed amniocentesis and was seen very regularly, consultant delivered baby again and I got a private room. She also did all care post sections, I had a visit from her every day until discharge. Then had post natal appointments afterwards. It was money well spent for us, especially once I knew I needed sections. I would have hated being on a busy postnatal ward for five nights.

Eta I got scanned at every visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

There's a private consultant I didn't want near me in Holles Street. Had a note on my file to that effect. No one is saying the public care isn't fine. But I had far better continuity of care gong private and that was really important to me. I found myself having to retell things over and over to the doctors in the public wards and clinic as they're simply too busy to know me from Adam.

I’m curious to know how you have such in depth experience of public wards and clinics if you’ve been a private patient each time?

Digs wrote: »
    I’m curious to know how you have such in depth experience of public wards and clinics if you’ve been a private patient each time?

I don't. I had some visits for my first and last pregnancy and I was glad I had no more than what I had to do.
    I do however have friends who have gone fully public with mixed experiences in all Dublin maternity hospitals. You talk to people and you do your research.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Just out of interest why were there 14 people? That seems excessive. Apart from me and my husband I had two midwives both times, I was a public patient.

Personally I hate hospitals. I did domino so I was hardly ever there and went home within a couple of hours, I have health insurance but felt it was a waste to use it.

Yep totally agree! I hate hospitals, not a private room in the world could entice me to stay so that aspect would be an absolute waste for me. I got home hours after my second, planned the same for my third but baby had other plans and we stayed 4 nights. Funnily I was the only patient on a 6 bed public ward for 3 out of those 4 nights. I found it very lonely!

I don't. I had some visits for my first and last pregnancy and I was glad I had no more than what I had to do.
    I do however have friends who have gone fully public with mixed experiences in all Dublin maternity hospitals. You talk to people and you do your research.

Sorry I must have misinterpreted some of what you have been saying but Yes totally agree with you there, it’s important to talk to people. Some of my friends who have gone private have only confirmed for me it would have been a total waste of money in my circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

We have insurance but we were told there's no difference in care so went public in Galway.

Shout out to Galway maternity staff who treated us like dirt!

I would honestly recommend having your baby in a field compared to how we were treated.

We have insurance but we were told there's no difference in care so went public in Galway.

I would honestly recommend having your baby in a field compared to how we were treated.

Sounds like nothing has changed since Savita died.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I doubt the health service could afford to put an end to private maternity care in public hospitals. I’d say it’s a major cash cow.

That right there is a whole other can of worms.
    It is a completely ridiculous situation that you pick private or public going into those maternity hospitals.They are public and should be wholly operated as such.But the problem is endemic throughout the system.

Where in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

ShaShaBear wrote:
    (and please remember folks, many private consultants treat public patients too, sometimes both in the same day )

I've an underlying health condition and I'm under a consultant who also treats private patients in the Coombe and at Evie. Of course he won't be 100% at the birth but he's in charge of my case and I'm seeing him in two weeks. Same consultant as last time too.
    Antares35 wrote:
    It's good to know that delivery and recovery are in private rooms, and I can definitely see the merit in having others around who are going through the same thing - I literally do not know what I am doing!

Recovery room was only about 30 mins and I dont know if it was because I had had a section, or because they were getting my bed ready, or if everyone goes into one after delivery to try to establish feeding, but the delivery suites are definitely single occupancy. The Coombe do a hospital tour which I would highly recommend to anyone attending there for the first time, good to get your bearings of where to go on the day!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It might be just the c-section CashQ.I know I was left in the delivery suite for a couple of hours after each baby, just for skin to skin and a shower and feed and that.Went directly to the ward then (Rotunda)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Where in Galway?

University hospital Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I've an underlying health condition and I'm under a consultant who also treats private patients in the Coombe and at Evie. Of course he won't be 100% at the birth but he's in charge of my case and I'm seeing him in two weeks. Same consultant as last time too.

Recovery room was only about 30 mins and I dont know if it was because I had had a section, or because they were getting my bed ready, or if everyone goes into one after delivery to try to establish feeding, but the delivery suites are definitely single occupancy. The Coombe do a hospital tour which I would highly recommend to anyone attending there for the first time, good to get your bearings of where to go on the day!

Last time I was in Holles st they had a delivery suite that could occupy two deliveries. So not a private delivery suite. Not sure if that’s still the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Blingy wrote: »
    Last time I was in Holles st they had a delivery suite that could occupy two deliveries. So not a private delivery suite. Not sure if that’s still the case though.

Yeah I was in that too, but I was asked before hand if it was OK. They only have one double room the rest are singles, I think it's used as last resort. The other mother was finishing up, I actually think she had left before I got there.

Second baby I was in a private room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Blingy wrote:

Hell on earth. When I was induced they expected it to take up to 36/48 hours so I was given a pessary and left in a ward with 5 others who were beside the assessment unit ahead of delivery. Some of these ladies were high risk and had been there for weeks. Within an hour I was in agony, another hour I was screaming blue murder, kids were visiting those ladies who'd been in long term and I was cursing the world and everyone in it with no pain relief because of the ward I was on. Eventually they wheeled in a tank of gas and I calmed down and of course they moved me in the end but jesus I felt awful for those women listening to me! Cant imagine giving birth in a room with another mother, crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hell on earth. When I was induced they expected it to take up to 36/48 hours so I was given a pessary and left in a ward with 5 others who were beside the assessment unit ahead of delivery. Some of these ladies were high risk and had been there for weeks. Within an hour I was in agony, another hour I was screaming blue murder, kids were visiting those ladies who'd been in long term and I was cursing the world and everyone in it with no pain relief because of the ward I was on. Eventually they wheeled in a tank of gas and I calmed down and of course they moved me in the end but jesus I felt awful for those women listening to me! Cant imagine giving birth in a room with another mother, crazy.

That wasn't an actual delivery room though was it? Do they not just bring you to delivery when things are "imminent". Also why would the ward you were on mean that you were denied pain relief?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Antares35 wrote: »
    That wasn't an actual delivery room though was it? Do they not just bring you to delivery when things are "imminent". Also why would the ward you were on mean that you were denied pain relief?

There’s no gas an air available on the wards in the Coombe either. You can’t have the epidural until you are transferred to the labour ward. Unless everything is perfect with baby then there’s no other options bar paracetamol (at least that was in my case). When I had my second the induction room was being done up so I was induced on a main ward and had an experience very like the above.

Advertisement