Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting for 30 to VRT

Options
  • 06-03-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how difficult it is to buy a UK car and mothball till its over 30 and VRT then ?

Would I be able to bring it over - sit it in the drive and wait till its gone over the 30 - would I have to go back across with it or at least book it onto the ferry ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

When the car is sold the seller will de register it and the MOT will run out. Both things the Revenue will check for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

w124man wrote: »
    When the car is sold the seller will de register it and the MOT will run out. Both things the Revenue will check for a start.

But what if I bought it without an MOT from a dealer ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Before this goes any further, may I remind the OP that the Motors Charter applies in this sub-forum:
    * Posts that encourage drivers to break the law e.g. telling people to make false motor tax declarations may result in either an infraction or a banning.
    Similar punishment will be awarded to those who request such advice.

and also the general Boards.ie posting guidelines
    Forbidden topics of discussion

How to do illegal things (this ranges from software piracy, to swindling the Revenue Commissioners)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_forbidden

oops - my bad, sorry

(I'm not having a go at you, just a reminder - as long as we're the right side of the fine line between avoidance and evasion, then there isn't a problem.)

You can of course store it outside the state until it is 30. How close it is to 30 will determine how viable that is.

I've owned cars both sides of the water, at the same time. The last car I imported was a 1998.

Imported into state 27th October. Booked a VRT appointment outside the 7 day window for making bookings (lack of slots and I was refreshing the online appointments page frequently). A suitable appointment was eventually found for 24th November (inside the 30 day window for making appointments).

I bought the vehicle in March 2017 and kept it in the UK. The V5C showed that date as the change of keeper. Although I had a covering letter from my friend in Glasgow who had been looking after / using the car, I was only asked for the ferry ticket.

Anything outside that 30 day import period may prompt the Revenue or there agents to raise an additional charge at the rate of VRT that would have been due x 0.1% per day. Whether or not they actually do that may depend on how much money is at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Imported 2018. They’ll want to see a receipt of purchase.

I have a buddy in the UK with whom the car could remain till its 30 ( july ), I'd just rather it was here with me ! I thought I could go get it, do a little fettling on it in front of my house, then bring it back across and import it proper.

The last time I was asked for a receipt it was a hand written note from the seller. In fact I could have shown them the ebay listing, I forgot that though.

although now I think of it, they'd probably only charge me 700 VRT - might be less hassle - save me the trip over and back !

Remember, if It's under the 30 yo, it'll be due CO2 VRT AND NOx VRT.

Revenue minimum OMSP is €2000, older stuff is high CO2 g/km and EURO I & II engines don't have separate NOx data so likely to be:

€680 to €720 CO2 VRT +
    €600 petrol / €4850 diesel NOx VRT

Total: €1280 to €5570.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

macplaxton wrote: »
    Remember, if It's under the 30 yo, it'll be due CO2 VRT AND NOx VRT.

Revenue minimum OMSP is €2000, older stuff is high CO2 g/km and EURO I & II engines don't have separate NOx data so likely to be:

€680 to €720 CO2 VRT +
    €600 petrol / €4850 diesel NOx VRT

Total: €1280 to €5570.

Ouch

• Advertisement

I'll go back and edit that, the €4850 is the diesel NOx max charge.

When I imported my 1998 car last year, I was a bit split over it. It was bad enough to stump up €680 (221g/km / 34%), but it was really now or never because if delayed it would have been pretty much doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

Before this goes any further, may I remind the OP that the Motors Charter applies in this sub-forum:

and also the general Boards.ie posting guidelines

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_forbidden
    swindling the revenue commissioners of illeagal vrt that the government pays fines to the eu for

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have a buddy in the UK with whom the car could remain till its 30 ( july ),

Sounds like a good solution. And remember the VRT is a minimum of €720. That's for when the car is worth €2k or less over here. Plus the NOx charge on top. So minimum €1,320 (vs just €200 if you leave it until it is 30). What car is it and what condition is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You bought it from a private seller in the North next year and you have a hand written receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

turbocab wrote: »
    swindling the revenue commissioners of illeagal vrt that the government pays fines to the eu for

That is total bull5h1t. VRT is not illegal, the government dont pay fines to the EU!

Most EU countries have a form of VRT ranging from 60% to 7%. There a a very few who dont have a form of VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

You bought it from a private seller in the North next year and you have a hand written receipt.
    I think you'd have to clear it sometime before Dec 31 this year because after Jan 1 2021, Brexit kicks in, and it's a whole different ball game then. (So far ).

Lads, VRT is what it is, so leaving that aside, and within the general posting rules about doing bold things, what options does the OP have to minimise the tax liability?

I go for the direct inheritance from a deceased person in the UK to get a VRT bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Lads, VRT is what it is, so leaving that aside, and within the general posting rules about doing bold things, what options does the OP have to minimise the tax liability?

I go for the direct inheritance from a deceased person in the UK to get a VRT bye.

Wouldn't VRT still be payable on the inherited vehicle as its a registration tax Ie to register it in the state ?
    And now you would also be liable for inheritance tax.......
    Only way not to pay it is change of residency and own it over there for the required period beforehand.
    Also the OP should be aware,as far as I know, the only legal way for him to store a UK regd vehicle is if his premises are TAN registered, usually you cannot TAN register a private house so that would preclude him from working on said car in his driveway.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/reliefs-and-exemptions/other-permanent-reliefs.aspx

There is no VRT for directly inherited vehicles meeting the conditions laid out by the Revenue.

Under TOR, there is having to show use of vehicle out of state (Insurance Certificate, etc.) I got a TOR on my first import even though it was only suggested by the taxman that the difference was 'only' €50, I was time rich/cash poor, so submitted the paperwork required and made the Revenue do the work on principle.

If the deal goes through, I am going to ship it to my mates place, then head over for a night on the raz and drive it back.
    once I am legally under the limit ( before anyone give me crap )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Don't forget, it's 30 years from date of first registration, So if first registered in Dec, then still nearly another year to wait

Advertisement