Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Rockstar Logos

• 03-03-2020 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭

So Rockstar have new logos, which don't appear to point to anything known at this stage. One is a CGI gold robot lady fondlingholding the R* logo, wearing a blue bikini with champagne. The second is more intriguing. It's the R* logo again, but with a very different background, reminiscent of WipeOut, with some phrases:

"Killing dreams, murdering people, fighting the righteous, bullying the weak" and "Why don't you tell me what went wrong", with some other numbers and patterns that may point to something. If they do, I reckon:

Killing dreams, no idea what that could relate to. Max Payne maybe?
    Murdering people, could be nearly any R* game, but I think Manhunt.
    Fighting the righteous, again could be nearly any game.
    Bullying the weak, could be a reference to Bully.

It also says "Since 19" and there are 48 R* boxes beside it, so maybe 1948. Still means nothing to me. Inverted the picture and nothing new popped out.

Could also mean SFA! What think ye?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Couldn't give a ****e considering how awful red dead 2 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That Gold Robot logo smacks of the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

GTA 6 would be epic. A Vice City remake, like V was to San Andreas, and revamped Online mode would definitely be welcome, keep the 80's vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

More than anything else, I really hope animal testicles shrink depending on the weather conditions. I was so glad they spent any time at all on making sure that could happen rather than something stupid like a decent Fast Travel system in RDR2.

In all seriousness though, they went way the f*ck overboard in trying to make RDR2 realistic and introducing pointless mechanics like the Cores systems and stuff. Whether it's a new GTA or something new altogether (and I do wonder if it could be a new 'future' franchise to go alongside the Past of RDR and Present of GTA), they're capable of great storytelling, but they also need to remember that the game should be fun/enjoyable to play, even when that comes at the expense of realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's either a new R* game is about to be teased/released or they hired someone new in the arts dept and they wanted to change things up :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    they're capable of great storytelling

They're kind of not. Well Dan Houser isn't. He is gone now so maybe their writing will improve or they let Rockstar San Diego/Vancouver handle it who do a far better job with writing than Rockstar North has ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dont really play video games for the story, gameplay from r* is always top notch.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They're kind of not. Well Dan Houser isn't. He is gone now so maybe their writing will improve or they let Rockstar San Diego/Vancouver handle it who do a far better job with writing than Rockstar North has ever done.

Well, great was probably too strong a word, but there's been fairly decent story beats and setpieces from both RDRs and the last two GTA games, considering what the games are. I enjoyed the story in all the games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dont really play video games for the story, gameplay from r* is always top notch.

If you like controlling a character who feels like they're running through custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Probably something set in the 50s to 60s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d honestly say the gameplay is precisely the problem in the latest Rockstar games. They have to learn to make games that are systemically interesting again, as RDR2 plays out like a 70 hour long tutorial for systems that never become anything interesting. The endless conversations between missions and basic shooting mechanics got boring a few games ago now.

They have the production values, they know how to direct a good set piece, and the sense of detail in their virtual worlds is near peerless (a few outliers like CD Projekt Red aside). But playing their games is often like trudging through sludge to get to the few highpoints, and I hope to hell whatever they make next has something more interesting to say gameplay-wise than RDR2 or GTAV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Whatever they're at, I'm interested. I know they don't have the best writing going, but it's good enough as they usually make up for it with fun, albeit fun that usually doesn't last very long until they start monetising the online sections.

Some suggestions out there pointing towards a game set between the 80's and 00's, others saying it's a hint at the revival of the unreleased Agent, more suggestion Bully 2. The date on the champagne bottle is 1998, the year R* was founded. There are 48 logos on the right, 49 if you include the middle one, and someone pointed that was how many states there were during the Cold War.

You know your company has made it when people start talking about pictures of the logo. If EA did this, people wouldn't care less. If CDPR did this, people would lose their shit over it. Rockstar used to be near that, but now seem to be heading the same direction as EA, no doubt due to the popularity of GTA Online and the massive, massive amounts of money it makes them, thus alienating a lot of previous fans who were there for the SP stuff, which has gotten a back burner.

Rockstar's mission design is a big problem. Every time you go into a mission the world becomes scripted and the mission design is terrible. It's all go here, shoot dudes. Maybe do this multiple times.

They have a massive intricate open world. They should let that open world shine and like in the older GTA games let the missions take place in that sandbox and don't punish the player for being creative. Red Dead 2 was ridiculous for this, failing missions for going out of the mission area. Some mission variety would be great as well. Mission variety doesn't mean adding a new mechanic that needs to be explained and then never used in any other area outside of that mission.

Breath of the Wild exists and shows how to embrace a sandbox. Rockstar need to learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fully agree with R* missions being shyte. They can have great story and characters but the Start at A, drive/gallop to B, Talk/Kill C, Drive/gallop back to A needs to change. I know that's basically the same mission design for most games but for some reason it really sticks out in R* games. I played GTA 4 recently and as great as it was, that mission design, with no checkpoint in place killed it. Getting killed after C and then going back to starting at A was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

They will never do it but a GTA:Tokyo would be incredible, they could reintroduce some of the Yakuza from GTA3 and take a really different and interesting direction with the main character, environments and storyline (London would be good too)

I LOVED Vice City but there’s been 2 games set there already and every 3D GTA has been in USA.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Fully agree with R* missions being shyte. They can have great story and characters but the Start at A, drive/gallop to B, Talk/Kill C, Drive/gallop back to A needs to change. I know that's basically the same mission design for most games but for some reason it really sticks out in R* games. I played GTA 4 recently and as great as it was, that mission design, with no checkpoint in place killed it. Getting killed after C and then going back to starting at A was horrible.

I think the reason it sticks out so much in R* games is that you're constantly getting missions from the same people in the same places, so no matter where you are you have to go to A to begin with, then you're probably spending the first part of most missions on the same stretches of road towards the next objective. Means you're just trudging up and down the same few bits of the map repeatedly for different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Rockstar are overated. The last good game they released was GTA: London

Always thought the Warriors and bully were great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    They will never do it but a GTA:Tokyo would be incredible, they could reintroduce some of the Yakuza from GTA3 and take a really different and interesting direction with the main character, environments and storyline (London would be good too)

I LOVED Vice City but there’s been 2 games set there already and every 3D GTA has been in USA.
    Have you played Sleeping Dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Always thought the Warriors and bully were great

Ah the warriors. The one I bought but didn't play much. Have to go back to it.

Rockstar really were on form in the 2000s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Penn wrote: »
    More than anything else, I really hope animal testicles shrink depending on the weather conditions. I was so glad they spent any time at all on making sure that could happen rather than something stupid like a decent Fast Travel system in RDR2.

In all seriousness though, they went way the f*ck overboard in trying to make RDR2 realistic and introducing pointless mechanics like the Cores systems and stuff. Whether it's a new GTA or something new altogether (and I do wonder if it could be a new 'future' franchise to go alongside the Past of RDR and Present of GTA), they're capable of great storytelling, but they also need to remember that the game should be fun/enjoyable to play, even when that comes at the expense of realism.

That’s exactly why I never finished RDR2 but hold RDR1 as one of my favourite games ever.

They took so much of the fun out of it having to do chores, feed myself/horse, and them messing around with the gun system by keeping most of the guns with the horse.

I'm all up for a new State of Emergency!

That game is up there with manhunt as the worst garbage rockstar have made

That game is up there with manhunt as the worst garbage rockstar have made

Ah now, Manhunt was great craic. I've good enough memories of it, which is rare. Can't remember the story, something something recording, something something kill everyone, something man in pig mask with a chainsaw. Yeah, top notch writing, but the gameplay/kills were fantastic fun!

All personal opinion of course! Fun outweighs a lot in gaming, especially in those days.

Actually never thought it was fun at all. Outside of the edgelord violence it's just a really awful stealth game with a kind of sickening attitude to violence. It's one of those games that baffles me to why people like it. Guess it's the mortal Kombat thing. You were there for the gore and not the gameplay. I remember a few places reviewing it very poorly at the time.

Each to their own and all that. Yeah, I liked the violence, because very few games did it back then (on console). It used to annoy me that they could make these ultra realistic games (for the time) but couldn't include the violence. Like Twisted Metal Black having the cut scenes removed for our previous European minds, or Carmageddon changing the peds to zombies for us. I'm not holding these games as bastions of their genre at the time, but I thoroughly enjoyed them for what they were, mindless fun. Something a lot of games miss.

I think we're very different in what we like in gaming! I didn't have a pc so I was limited by console games, and even then limited by choice/availability, and when renting you had to like it because you couldn't afford to change it, moreso with buying games before trading in became a thing/I started trading in. So I forced myself to like some games, and I ended up liking them more as a result. Some games I just liked from the beginning, Manhunt was one of them. I was younger so that probably has something to do with it.

We aren't that different. I was a big console gamer and preferred it to console. Just this gen I feel other than Nintendo was very week.

I also loved mortal Kombat and other Gorey games like RoboCop vs Terminator when I was young but looking back now they were either only ok or rubbish on the case of r vs t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Manhunt wasn't great , but in saying that I'd love a more well thought out version of it on this or current gen , you could make a very purge like game using the sameish storyline and mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Have you played Sleeping Dogs?

Have done and it’s a decent game but a Rockstar GTA Tokyo would have a much greater ceiling I feel than most other developers with a similar premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Oh my god the memories that just came flooding back!!! That was based in the 2020s wasn't it?!

Advertisement