Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do not let the **** up

• 06-03-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭

Video from Kilcummin Gaa of lads pinning each other to the ground. It's not that I find it offensive but I find it crazy that this is part of training. It's good aerobic training but don't get the impression this is what it's being used for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Again the issue is who films and then puts these things up. That’s where I’ve a problem. It’s probably just a character building exercise which also develops a bit of strength etc.
    Probably only a small couple minutes of a training session but when shown in isolation I can see why some wouldn’t be impressed with it. Comes across a bit old school and not really in line with modern thinking

Overall a bit of unwanted embarrassment for the club in question

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

siblers wrote: »
    It's good aerobic training but don't get the impression this is what it's being used for

Am I missing something here? What do you think it's being used for?

Heard about this today but watching the video now I'm not seeing what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Pathetic exercise.

You'd think the voice was added afterwards, like some kind of parody/joke video.

Don't really follow GAA (wandered in from the main page; howaya!) but I can see the issue with the video in terms of it being so verbally aggressive. At the same time, they're not gonna be playing against a few mates during a big match day, so I can kinda see what they're going for. It's very "old school" though.

EDIT: The more i watch it, the funnier it gets.

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Pathetic exercise.

Maybe, arguably. But if there's a team of lads being made run laps for a half hour that's also very old school, boring, and pointless, way more so than this by far. But it wouldn't be a big controversy. So what's the actual problem? Genuinely feel like I've missed something here that everyone else is seeing.

• Advertisement

Maybe, arguably. But if there's a team of lads being made run laps for a half hour that's also very old school, boring, and pointless, way more so than this by far. But it wouldn't be a big controversy. So what's the actual problem? Genuinely feel like I've missed something here that everyone else is seeing.

'Bury his face into the ground'.
    Just say a player suffered from panic attacks or asthma even, this sort of crap could easily trigger an attack if they were to get pinned in an awkward position.
    A specific example I know but still a valid point.

I just think it's ridiculous and serves no purpose other than mancho bravado crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭benjy1000

What an absolute of a manager .
    No place anymore for all that roaring & jackassing.
    Will make no difference at all in the heat of championship , be better focusing on the skills of the game as that will be the winning or losing of the a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

benjy1000 wrote: »
    What an absolute ape of a manager .
    Will make no difference at all in the heat of championship , be better focusing on the skills of the game as that will be the winning or losing of the a game.

Do we know who he is ??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Clowns rolling around in ****e, listening to some idiot who thinks he's in Full Metal Jacket.

S.G.M. wrote: »
    'Bury his face into the ground'.
    Just say a player suffered from panic attacks or asthma even, this sort of crap could easily trigger an attack if they were to get pinned in an awkward position.
    A specific example I know but still a valid point.

I just think it's ridiculous and serves no purpose other than mancho bravado crap.

If you suffer panic attacks when someone is aggressive to you, then sooner or later football is not going to work out well for you in fairness.

Again, I agree the exercise is pointless, and it's time not spent practicing worthwhile skills relevant to the game, but I don't get why bad training would warrant a video going viral.

I also agree that the macho stuff is pathetic, typical of some coaches in my experience. But that's the way some operate. Hardly worth the response online.

Probably was just a short thing to do as a change of pace, do some strength work and encourage a little bit of fight and aggression. Could do without the coaches histrionics but no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I’ve seen plenty coaches over the years , good and bad
    The good ones certainly wouldn’t be using language like that, there’s different ways of communicating a message
    The ones like the guy in video put on the big front, all action and talk. Only a cover for lack of ability

Again as I mentioned earlier it’s the people who decide to put up these videos I’ve an issue with. That’s obviously a club player or mentor who’s recorded it and now basically embarrassed his club online.

If you suffer panic attacks when someone is aggressive to you, then sooner or later football is not going to work out well for you in fairness.

It's nothing to do with being aggressive. It's the part about pinning someone down and not letting them up. That isn't a part of GAA.
    Mixed martial arts yes but not GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If the voice is real then that manager should be ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

big_drive wrote: »
    I’ve seen plenty coaches over the years , good and bad
    The good ones certainly wouldn’t be using language like that, there’s different ways of communicating a message
    The ones like the guy in video put on the big front, all action and talk. Only a cover for lack of ability

Again as I mentioned earlier it’s the people who decide to put up these videos I’ve an issue with. That’s obviously a club player or mentor who’s recorded it and now basically embarrassed his club online.

Bit of a generalization there. Some of the biggest bluffers in sport and life are excellent communicators.
    Harmless enough stuff in that video. If the trainer is the same lad with whom they won the Intermediate All-Ireland last year, then he must be doing something right.
    I always liked to have a trainer with a bit of madness, some of the "Paint by numbers" coaches around now would bore the living ****e out of me if I was still playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

“Don’t leave him up”, but but he’s not up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I thought that Kerry teams were beyond that sort of stuff. Could you imagine the reaction if it was a Tyrone club team!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone watching Ultimate Hell Week ?

One of the exercises is where a participant picks another to box against, with gloves and headgear of course.

They all batter the heads off each other and really seem to enjoy it, there are no hard feelings afterwards.

This is just an example of the above Inna sports training situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

https://www.offtheball.com/football/kerry-club-gaa-whatsapp-video-978621

It's from Kilcummin Gaa in Kerry. Intermediate team training.

It looks like they are deliberately practicing cynical play.
    Is this what the Gaa has come to.

Sheep led by Donkeys. The Manager is probably getting a few quid while the players get **** all only abuse roared at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Has nothing to do with Gaelic football. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

https://www.offtheball.com/football/kerry-club-gaa-whatsapp-video-978621

It's from Kilcummin Gaa in Kerry. Intermediate team training.

It looks like they are deliberately practicing cynical play.
    Is this what the Gaa has come to.

Sheep led by Donkeys. The Manager is probably getting a few quid while the players get **** all only abuse roared at them.

They aren't practicing cynical play.

They won the All Ireland Intermediate last year, so players hardly getting **** all out of it.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    They aren't practicing cynical play.

They won the All Ireland Intermediate last year, so players hardly getting **** all out of it.

They won it in spite of this ****e.

If it's not practicing cynical play what is it? Stamina training.

Maybe it's Psychological training given by an Amateur Psychologist. Macho Neanderthal bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

benjy1000 wrote: »
    What an absolute ape of a manager .

They'll kick 20 wides in their first game and he'll be scratching his head wondering where it all went wrong :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

The audio has to be added. No one can be that stupid.

Don't know how it can construed as 'practicing cynical play' either. Surely its about enduring the hardship isn't it? Building character and all that.

corny wrote: »
    The audio has to be added. No one can be that stupid.

Don't know how it can construed as 'practicing cynical play' either. Surely its about enduring the hardship isn't it? Building character and all that.

If you look at what they are doing they are deliberately holding a player down for a long period. It's what someone would do in the last few mins to deliberately get a black card or sending off in order to protect a lead or prevent a match winning score.

You see plenty of that in the last few mins of games now.
    Last one I remember is John Small preventing Michael Murphy from joining a Donegal attack.

A player needs to make sure the attacker isn't getting back on his feet. If it is being taught this way it's really poisonous and against the spirit of any sport

If the lads will do it then let them do it. If they don’t want to do it then nobody is making them play against their will.
    The people who record and share this on social media are vermin.

If the lads will do it then let them do it. If they don’t want to do it then nobody is making them play against their will.
    The people who record and share this on social media are vermin.

The atmosphere in that session was obnoxious and could be construed as abusive. No way is it best practice.

As I said Sheep led by Donkeys. Just cos they won an intermediate Championship doesn't make it ok.

If players are ok with this ****e it's no wonder every game is infested with pulling and dragging and vicious spite.

The atmosphere in that session was obnoxious and could be construed as abusive. No way is it best practice.

As I said Sheep led by Donkeys. Just cos they won an intermediate Championship doesn't make it ok.

It's no wonder every game is infested with pulling and dragging and vicious spite.

They don’t have to stay or turn up the next night if they don’t like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

If you look at what they are doing they are deliberately holding a player down for a long period. It's what someone would do in the last few mins to deliberately get a black card or sending off in order to protect a lead or prevent a match winning score.

You see plenty of that in the last few mins of games now.
    Last one I remember is John Small preventing Michael Murphy from joining a Donegal attack.

A player needs to make sure the attacker isn't getting back on his feet. If it is being taught this way it's really poisonous and against the spirit of any sport

I don't see that as being very plausible tbh. If you're happy to take the black card you can easily stop a player joining the attack. Doesn't take practice. Pull, drag, trip, do whatever. Not rocket science. You'd be far better served practicing the sneaky off the ball stuff (which i'm sure they do).

This is just lads rolling around on a filthy night, enduring a hardship to build character. ****e attempt at building character but an attempt nonetheless for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Clowns rolling around in ****e, listening to some idiot who thinks he's in Full Metal Jacket.

100%, if they had a captain worth his salt with a bit of integrity he’d be messaging the guys to refuse to do it at the next session. There is fûck all sporting, fûck all fitness value that can’t be achieved doing other more traditional and appropriate workouts and fûck all in the way of character building and it certainly won’t help winning matches... that is a bully pure and simple and it sounds like he is getting some kick out of watching a load of lads, rolling around in the mud together... weirdo. Lads just need to stand side by side... “no we won’t be doing that and if you have a problem with it, you might end up face down in the mud yourself.

Imagine too parents now, of children playing underage, seeing what goes on, the premise being at some point that might be awaiting them. Jeeez.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    100%, if they had a captain worth his salt with a bit of integrity he’d be messaging the guys to refuse to do it at the next session. There is fûck all sporting, fûck all fitness value that can’t be achieved doing other more traditional and appropriate workouts and fûck all in the way of character building and it certainly won’t help winning matches... that arsehole is a bully pure and simple and it sounds like he is getting some kick out of watching a load of lads, rolling around in the mud together... weirdo. Lads just need to stand side by side... “no we won’t be doing that and if you have a problem with it, you might end up face down in the mud yourself.

Imagine too parents now, of children playing underage, seeing what goes on, the premise being at some point that might be awaiting them. Jeeez.

Weed out the weak. Let the captain be the first to go if they don’t like it, rather than sly little group texts.

Advertisement