Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six nation exclusive to sky from 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

CVC were a disaster for F1. But also F1 was a disaster for F1. Red Bull won 4 in a row and now Mercedes have won 6 in a row. You've to go back to 2009 for a different team - and that team was Brawn which is now effectively Mercedes. 2008 was the last time an existing team other than Merc or Red Bull won, and that was Hamilton (to be fair in the last corner of the last race).

The product just sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think we should be ok here in Ireland. I'm pretty sure the Six Nations would qualify as an event that has National Importance. So that EU directive that kept all Ireland Soccer qualifiers free to air, would cover us here.

piplip87 wrote: »
    I think we should be ok here in Ireland. I'm pretty sure the Six Nations would qualify as an event that has National Importance. So that EU directive that kept all Ireland Soccer qualifiers free to air, would cover us here.

It would only cover Ireland games at best. You wouldn't be watching three games a weekend on FTA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

piplip87 wrote: »

It is on the B List and only requires highlights be made available FTA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It is on the B List and only requires highlights be made available FTA.

Expect that to be urgently changed if a deal comes close.

Its a very odd list, the Nations Cup (showjumping) is on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

errlloyd wrote: »
    CVC were a disaster for F1. But also F1 was a disaster for F1. Red Bull won 4 in a row and now Mercedes have won 6 in a row. You've to go back to 2009 for a different team - and that team was Brawn which is now effectively Mercedes. 2008 was the last time an existing team other than Merc or Red Bull won, and that was Hamilton (to be fair in the last corner of the last race).

The product just sucks.

The 6 Nations committee really should look at the F1 example. F1 is desperate to get back on FTA TV now that it has rid itself of CVC. CVC did nothing to develop the sport, just milked it for the revenue it generated for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This really isn’t a done deal, bidding hasn’t closed and no media outlet can say they know exactly what the outcome will be, apparently based only on a condition that joint bids won’t be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Kevski

The thread title really needs a question mark at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Kevski wrote: »
    The thread title really needs a question mark at the end.

Or to be completely rewritten

icdg wrote: »
    This really isn’t a done deal, bidding hasn’t closed and no media outlet can say they know exactly what the outcome will be, apparently based only on a condition that joint bids won’t be accepted.

Sure, but its a weird condition and was essentially the only way the terrestrial stations could match the pay TV bids last time out as I recall.

The condition only makes sense against a joint Pay TV bid - a la the European cup farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Huge mistake to put the 6N behind a paywall. Never been more popular - this year it's even gone viral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

The condition only makes sense against a joint Pay TV bid - a la the European cup farce.

There wasn't any pay TV joint bid with the European Cup. Sky had the rights to the competition but the English announced they were starting their own competition with BT having the exclusive rights. Part of the compromise in preventing the breakaway competition was to split the games between Sky & BT.

nc6000 wrote: »
    There wasn't any pay TV joint bid with the European Cup. Sky had the rights to the competition but the English announced they were starting their own competition with BT having the exclusive rights. Part of the compromise in preventing the breakaway competition was to split the games between Sky & BT.

I know, but the point still stands. There is nothing prohibitive to the consumer from the competition being split over two FTA channels, only over two pay channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I know, but the point still stands. There is nothing prohibitive to the consumer from the competition being split over two FTA channels, only over two pay channels.

But you can't have one set of rules for the pay TV companies and another for the free broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Realistically a lot of people are only interested in the Irish games. Some of the other games are a poor standard and even die hards would struggle to stay tuned.

We are blessed to have bbc/itv coverage in Ireland, especially the bbc with no ads.

For pay tv the company only gets 5 weekends out of it. That can't be hugely attractive unless other competitions are tied into a tv deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭satguy

There used to be a golf thing, where usa played EU, it was on the bbc,, I think it's gone, or stopped now.

But you can't have one set of rules for the pay TV companies and another for the free broadcasters.

Sure, but the pay TV companies wouldn't willingly do it anyway.

The only argument against the matches being across two channels is that it is inconvenient for the viewer - but that makes no sense when both channels are FTA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

satguy wrote: »
    There used to be a golf thing, where usa played EU, it was on the bbc,, I think it's gone, or stopped now.

The Ryder cup is still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The Ryder cup is still going.

Live on Sky and has been so since 1995 with highlights on BBC.

Advertisement