Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options
  • 05-03-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭

One of the greatest stories in games and it's creator Neil Druckmann teaming up with HBO and Craig Mazin (Chernobyl) to turn it into a TV series. Absolutely cannot wait for this. Early days but still, very exciting.

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1235619786278572032?s=19

Mod: going to invoke the same etiquette that might be asked with any other sort of adaptation: if you're discussing events from the original source, put it behind Spoiler Tags. No more than the same approach worked fine with (say) Game of Thrones book spoilers back in the day.

Wanna talk something that happens in the games? Put it behind a Spoiler Tag. Many folk will be potentially watching this with a minimal or absent familiarity with the games and won't appreciate details being spoiled - especially some larger ones.
    Post edited by The Black Oil on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Cant wait for this, looks like it definitely has the right people on board

• Registered Users Posts: 33,227 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My only complaint is I know the ending so there'll be no surprises, but I swear if they do anything to try and change the ending to surprise people I will hunt them the f*ck down!

Casting will be key. Seen people suggest Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Joel who has a great look for it but not sure his voice carries the same weight to it in the same way as the voice actor Troy Baker who played him in the game. If anything I'd see him more as Tommy, Joel's brother. Have to say Jon Hamm would be my ultimate pick.

Seen some suggestions for Ellie too, but I'd nearly prefer they find someone unknown for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I reckon Matt LeBlanc for Joel and Lily James as Ellie.

Just messin'. SO looking forward to this. Was so nervous when they were planning movie. Too much to do in one movie and no way to make more than one movie. But a TV show? Make it a one off like Watchmen? golden.

As for casting.

img.jpg

Seriously, I actually think Coster-Waldau would be great. Vigo Mortenson might find it too similar to The Road but he'd be great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I can see them Pulling Hugh Jackman for this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Riley, as in
    Left Behind
    dlc, as in absolutely ripe for a
    flashback
    episode. I love that this story is coming to HBO but i hate that i already know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It would be nice coming it it blind alright but, hey, I'm just glad it's being made.

I remember feeling the same about The Departed. I was just underwhelmed because I was a big fan of the original Hong Kong trilogy "Infernal Affairs" and I consider The Departed far inferior.

Anyway. SO glad to see this being made. But just remember: Many here may not have played the game so don't spoiler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ellen Page has to play Ellie... duh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,227 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Fantastic. The music in TLOU was absolutely tremendous. It'd nearly be weird if they had to replace it with something different, or hearing someone try to emulate it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kaitlyn Dever for Ellie?

Kaitlyn said she's a big fan of the game and already worked with Naughty Dog on their Uncharted game as well as being highly interested in this. I'm sure she'd have no problem getting an audition unless they want to go with someone a bit younger looking (14 years old). She'd also like Hugh Jackman. Jackman is a great actor but i dunno if his fame would take away from Joel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Be interesting to see if the story choices made in the adaptation - assuming it veers away from the source material to some degree - illicit the same hyperbolic reaction from the TV audience as the Gaming crowd. Rarely witnessed anything so vitriolic.

I'll be honest though: the station is good, the head honcho is good, but that story ... even before CoVid, bleak, existential misery drama was played out for me so while I have my ears pricked for this as a rare game adaptation, I'm not immediately stoked about the story within.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hope they don't go the route of Batwoman where the actress
    will have be of similar sexuality to Ellie.

I put in spoiler tags but just wondering how will spoilers work for this thread. Some will be experiencing the story for the first time through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Kaitlyn said she's a big fan of the game and already worked with Naughty Dog on their Uncharted game as well as being highly interested in this. I'm sure she'd have no problem getting an audition unless they want to go with someone a bit younger looking (14 years old). She'd also like Hugh Jackman. Jackman is a great actor but i dunno if his fame would take away from Joel.

As good as he is, I think it would feel far too similar to Logan if Jackman was involved. Bleak future, gruff old man smuggles a young girl with special powers across the country to a safe haven.

Josh Brolin would be a terrific Joel. I'm half-sure that's who he's visually based on anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hope they don't go the route of Batwoman where the actress
    will have be of similar sexuality to Ellie.

I put in spoiler tags but just wondering how will spoilers work for this thread. Some will be experiencing the story for the first time through this.

That's a good question: there's nothing really to chat about the TV show but ..

mod: any discussion about the video games, please put plot points behind spoiler tags.

God knows this franchise already seems to anger folk

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's a good question: there's nothing really to chat about the TV show but ..

mod: any discussion about the video games, please put plot points behind spoiler tags.

God knows this franchise already seems to anger folk

Ah season 1 should be ok but all bets are off if season 2 gets made :)

I think Brolin would be a good shout but dunno if I'd prefer an unknown. I wouldn't mind seeing Troy Baker in a Joel cosplay to see what that's like. A bit thin but hard to imagine anyone else play him.

Annoy Troy and cast Nolan North

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Annoy Troy and cast Nolan North

You know something, Nolan could pull it off and equally, Troy could play David.

• Advertisement

Interview with Mazin. He said there will be some story changes but it will be to enhance, not undo the story. Also some content that didn't make it into the game will be filmed.

https://collider.com/last-of-us-hbo-tv-show-video-game-ending/

I wonder how long out it is. Whatever it is well be too long!

If they hurry they won't have to go to the expense of clearing streets and shopping malls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A scheduling conflict has meant director Johan Renck (Chernobyl, Breaking Bad) has had to leave the project. Kantemir Balagov, director of acclaimed Russian drama Beanpole, has been lined up as a replacement - THR

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

According to twitter, he thought about it but he won't be part of it. Looks like Ellie has been confirmed though.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1359663514017693696?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Oh man, it would've been worth it just to see the internet shít itself in rage if Ali got the part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Given what we know about Joel I can only assume and hope Pascal signed on for a fantastically written Season 1. Or maybe they'll use some bullsh1tty story tricks like time jumps and flashbacks to keep him in the show well beyond, well....you know.

As for Bella Ramsey, this has slightly raised my eyebrow given her character became almost parody in Game of Thrones. It has me wondering how they've written Ellie for TV.

Advertisement