Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour Out of Space [HP Lovecraft / Richard Stanley / Nicholas Cage]

Options
  • 21-08-2019 3:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Like Conan-Doyle & Sherlock Holmes, sometimes it's easy to forget that HP Lovecraft wrote more than just Cthulthu related works: apparently Richard Stanley (yes that one, infamous from "The Island of Dr. Moreau") is directing with Nicholas Cage starring.

Apparently it already premiered in Toronto, and in the meantime a couple of luscious looking stills have been released. Shades of "Annihilation" by the looks of one, which is no bad thing - though as with a lot of Lovecraft adaptations the tricky needle to thread will be visualising the concept of the "unknowable" terror.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3579524/heres-nicolas-cage-richard-stanleys-color-space/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Very interesting, quite the combination of Stanley and Cage. Only got round to watching Dust Devil this year, the man has talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

There haven't been any really great Lovecraft adaptations. Dagon was pretty good but was low budget and had an unknown cast. Reanimator was watchable but didn't have the correct tone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The issue most Lovecraft adaptations have had is that the man was in some was a bloody awful writer. He couldn't write character in any depth, and had some dreadful fondness for purple prose.

But he also managed to take his gynophobia and colossal racism and channel it, somehow, into some ideas and concepts far more interesting than his executions were able to show.

I think Resolution & The Endless are probably the best Lovecraft-inspired films I've seen, with a runner up spot for the HP Lovecraft Historical Society version of The Call Of Cthulhu. The straight adaptations have either been earnest but at best mediocre or total manglings of the source.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First trailer for this has popped up: looks very purple!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A clip surfaced and ... uhhh... lol yeah. I'm not sure where this is going to land on the Nicholas Cage Scale of Madness :D

There's something inherently lame about those "driving ... Look Out!" moments I can never put my finger on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Recent Mandy was a much better unnerving horror with Cage but he does play his usual nuts to wall bat****tedness
    as for Richard Stanley I preferred his earlier work such as Hardware and Dust Devil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Massive fan of the original story, was one of Lovecraft’s best.

If you ever come across the 2011 comic book adaptions (Mark Stafford does this one) of Lovecraft’s stories I recommend you get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I cant comprehend how anyone liked this film. It's terrible. In every sense.

SFX provided by Sega Mega Drive

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught this last night, and I think it's the first Lovecraft adaptation that can legitimately be called "very good" without having to immediately follow it up with a qualifier like "for its budget" or "if you ignore X" (see for example all the Jeffrey Combs/Stuart Gordon/Brian Yuzna films).

It's stunning that the budget for this was $6M, it looks like a film with a lot more spent on it. The script is good (drawing on the original story for the setup and plot events rather than any elements of character), the performances strong (Nic Cage doing a Nic Cage, but it works in the context of the film) and the visual and aural effects very good, particularly towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I watched this on Amazon Prime over the holidays.

Oddly paced but it ends up suiting how the story unfolds.

Wasn't a fan of how Cage played his role early on as you get the impression the guy didn't need an invading alien organism to become insane, but I did end up enjoying his performance.

I found it difficult to understand the story but essentially the gist of it from what I could gather was that the organism was trying to recreate its home environment. However I didn't get the change to time and how they (horrifically) tried to portray that with the wife and young son.

Advertisement