Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedges

Options
  • 04-03-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Anyone know outside of the usual main stores where is good to get a new set of wedges at a decent price.

Is buying used wedges off adverts advisable if they are worn compared to new grooves etc

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭willabur

nothing spins like a wedge that is brand new out of the wrapper

but that doesn't last super long. You'll find Titleist Vokey SM7 for about 120 per club right now (brand new) - if you buy more than one they will give a discount (if you ask)

Just beware that they will play like a decent second hand club within 5-10 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think the best insight on the above was a question from an audience member on one of those Sky Sports masterclass things to Padraig Harrington.

He asked Padraig how often he changes his wedges and Harrington said Weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

McGuirks where doing Vokey SM7 for a good price of late, got 46, 52, 56 and 60s.. they do online and are very quick also.

Golfbidder always have older models and in good or new condition is a option for searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

You can be lucky or unlucky with second hand wedges. Actually its not even really luck, its just you need to inspect the grooves before buying. I know I've often bought new wedges and not liked them after 1 or 2 rounds (sometimes even just half an hour spent chipping around a green is enough for me to dislike one, I'm very picky when it comes to wedges !) and I've had no problem shifting them on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Anyone aware of anywhere with good deals on wedges at the minute?

Also there was an article linked here a while back that gave a great explanation of the different bounce and grinds of wedges and type of conditions and player they suit. I cant find it anywhere though. Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement

Still can get sm7 titleist vokey wedges at a good price brand new in the main shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

callaway92 wrote: »
    I think the best insight on the above was a question from an audience member on one of those Sky Sports masterclass things to Padraig Harrington.

He asked Padraig how often he changes his wedges and Harrington said Weekly.

I have two wedges in my bag now for 30 years, and they were part of a second hand set!

I changed my irons 10 years ago but kept hold of the pitching wedge and sand wedge.
    Safe to say my local golf shop does not see me too often. I must confess I have started to look at new wedges, but I won't be changing my 30 year old putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Can wedges be re grooved.
    If so should they.

I've seen some of the star shaped re groovers online. Are they any good or is it a bad job to use them

Id be wary of using those sharpeners, they'd likely make your clubs non conforming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ceepo

willabur wrote: »
    Id be wary of using those sharpeners, they'd likely make your clubs non conforming

Thanks.

But for the greenhorn.. Why is that.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement