Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water birth/Birthing pool advice

Options
  • 01-03-2020 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Am just doing a bit of research about the possibility of using the birthing pool at cumh. I know there’s only one pool, and you can’t give birth in the actual pool itself, but that’s where my knowledge ends I’m afraid.

Looking for any info/tips from experienced moms. Are you allowed use gas and air in the pool? Or other pain relief? What stage are you allowed enter the pool? Is there an ensuite shower in the room?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

ahaaha wrote: »
    Am just doing a bit of research about the possibility of using the birthing pool at cumh. I know there’s only one pool, and you can’t give birth in the actual pool itself, but that’s where my knowledge ends I’m afraid.

Looking for any info/tips from experienced moms. Are you allowed use gas and air in the pool? Or other pain relief? What stage are you allowed enter the pool? Is there an ensuite shower in the room?

Thanks!

I haven’t used it but I know some of the answers because it was covered in my Domino antenatal class.

You can use gas and air in the pool. You can have had pethidine as well but can only go in 4 hours after the injection (pethidine can make you sleepy). You can’t have an epidural and use the pool of course. You should be in active labour because if you go in too early it can stall labour. I think they said there was a shower but not 100% on that. The domino midwives highly recommend using the pool and also said that if we wanted to give feedback to push allowing water births in the pool we should give feedback through Your Service, Your Say.

There is some info on page 43 of the attached as well. http://www.cuh.hse.ie/Cork-University-Maternity-Hospital/Publications/Information-on-preparing-for-birth-and-parenthood.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

I gave birth in the pool at the Coombe. I did the Domino scheme and a midwife was with me the whole way through. I had gas and air and nothing else. I got into the pool when I was admitted and gave birth 2 hours later. I had thought I might get out before the delivery but as it happened I just stayed in as the baby came quicker than expected. At the time the Coombe was the only place allowing actual water births, I don't know if that has changed...but certainly I could have got out at any time. There was a bed etc in the suite alongside the pool...I know you are looking at a different hospital but the water birthing suite in the Coombe was really nice. It had been newly done up & there was an en suite attached. Overall It was a very positive experience and I'd be hopeful to repeat it on baby number 2! (Due Sept)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Thanks ladies. Meeting consultant over next few weeks so going to ask if it’s possible for me if the room is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I had my second baby there. I did sign a consent form beforehand but then had to do it again on the day.

The room is lovely, you can bring your own music or they can play the radio/relaxing music for you. There is a thing hanging from the ceiling for you to hold on to and birthing ball (I used them while the pool was being filled up).

When I first went in I felt like going into a spa...the warm water was great. I also had the baby in the water. Didn't manage the gas an air because it made me feel sick but was offered same and I did try to use it. My labour was also very quick 2 hours.
    I'm due my third now I probably will skip as I want an epidural this time, but if it wasn't because of that I would definitely repeat the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

ahaaha wrote: »
    Thanks ladies. Meeting consultant over next few weeks so going to ask if it’s possible for me if the room is free!

The one of the domino midwives told me that they only have around 7 women using it a week so chances are it would be free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

hey, I had a waterbirth for the first and hoping to have in again this time. I'm not based in ireland so its probably a slightly different.

I was partially induced (i had the pessary) if i needed any other part of the induction I couldn't have used the pool. (i was 12days over) You can have gas and air but that made me sick so I didn't use it. I didn't want pethidine so I'm not sure if you can have it for a waterbirth. I felt massive relief when i got into the pool but to be honest I was roaring like a banshee through my contractions, being induced can make it more intense or I'm just a wuss! I gave birth in the water and that was amazing and would recommend that to anyone, you do it all yourself so its pretty incredible.
    You can enter the pool once you are in active labour, as someone else said not before as it may stop your contractions, mine were in full swing when i got in there. I was induced at midnight and I think i got in the pool about 1:30, my son was born at 6:50. I would say a good midwife is key especially if its your first. Ours was amazing very calm and reassuring.

Its definitely worth considering, best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I used a birthing pool in the MLU in Cavan (I imagine it's the same) and honestly, I did not like it one bit! Absolutely know it's personal preference and plenty of people swear by it, but I found the restricted movement in the water to be borderline terrifying and it made my contractions harder to bear and more intense. Only lasted about 10 minutes before I begged them to drag me out before the next contraction! :pac:
    I did get offered Gas and Air while I was in there, but it doesn't agree with me, and I didn't get pethidine for fear of the same reason.

Advertisement