Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a landlord

• 03-03-2020 1:04pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest is a landlord and would like to answer your questions about being a landlord and what's involved and maybe clear up some misconceptions as well.
    Hi All
    I'm a landlord since 2004. I bought my first rental house in 2004 when I was 23.
    I've 3 in total now (hopefully all paid off in 9 years time). I have survived the recession (barely) and met some amazing and crazy people since 2004.

The media has put a really negative spin on all landlords and perhaps this AMA might give a bit of balance to it all, it's far from the cashcow it's made out to be. With 55% tax on rents (ignoring the mortgage!!), they are still not worth what I paid for them...

I have had it all from a bomb being made in my house and it appearing on the news.

Tenants telling me there was a ghost in the attic and what was I going to do about it.

An overweight tenant telling me they were going to sue me as the next doors kids called her a Roly-Poly.

Tenants arguing that punch holes in walls were wear and tear.

Tenants robbing all the lightbulbs when they moved out, etc.

Happy to answer any questions you all may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

How did you fiance the first purchase in 2004? BTL mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

It's hard to find a good rental accommadation with all the competion. What can a potential tennant do to stand out from the crowd when trying to get rent a place?

• Company Representative Posts: 87 Verified rep I'm a Landlord, AMA

Doop wrote: »
    How did you fiance the first purchase in 2004? BTL mortgage?

Hi there
    I went to the bank and told them the house purchase was for myself.
    I tried to get a BuyToLet mortgage but they wanted a 25% deposit
    I think it was only 8% when I told them I was going to live in it ..

It's hard to find a good rental accommadation with all the competion. What can a potential tennant do to stand out from the crowd when trying to get rent a place?

Its pretty difficult for landlords too , you get overwhelmed by all the responses and some people have genuine hard luck stories ...and its hard to "pick" someone so to speak.. you only really have 15 mins to form an opinion of someone and trust them with your house ..

if I was giving someone advice go to a viewing and have the months rent, and deposit ready to go and all references printed off for the agent/landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ashf8772

Sounds like you've been through it all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 stoneybats

So you want to put a bit of 'balance' on the 'negative spin on all landlords', but then in your first reply you say you lied in your mortgage application for your first buy-to-let?

stoneybats wrote: »
    So you want to put a bit of 'balance' on the 'negative spin on all landlords', but then in your first reply you say you lied in your mortgage application for your first buy-to-let?

That is true yes... I did have to save up the 8% deposit myself an then I think the stamp duty was another 15k and then 2k of solicitors bills . I wanted to get a rental house for my future/pension

The negative spin I was referring to was about that we are all in it for the greed and making a fortune with rents not paying any tax etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That is true yes... I did have to save up the 8% deposit myself an then I think the stamp duty was another 15k and then 2k of solicitors bills . I wanted to get a rental house for my future/pension

The negative spin I was referring to was about that we are all in it for the greed and making a fortune with rents not paying any tax etc..

You make a point there, you mention it being for your future or pension.

I feel this gets overlooked by a lot of landlords, yes there is tax on the income, yes you have a mortgage to pay but you also have a hugely valuable asset at the end of it. A landlord of mine during the recession was trying to increase my rent and crying the poor mouth because what she had left after tax/ins etc only covered the mortgage.

With that said, is it your aim as a landlord to be in profit at the end of the month or when you sell the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How thorough are you with reference checks for tenants? I'm currently the "landlord" for a few friends, I've gotten a couple calls over the years but I keep it short and just say they were with me x to y and always paid on time, nothing more

Have you ever got a bad feeling with someone at a viewing either and ruled them out? Vice versa, ever got a good vibe off someone and was just happy to take them and didn't do reference checks or the likes

I feel this gets overlooked by a lot of landlords, yes there is tax on the income, yes you have a mortgage to pay but you also have a hugely valuable asset at the end of it. A landlord of mine during the recession was trying to increase my rent and crying the poor mouth because what she had left after tax/ins etc only covered the mortgage.

With that said, is it your aim as a landlord to be in profit at the end of the month or when you sell the property?

Hi , the tax rules have changed a good bit since I bought the first one
    there was no PRSI on rental income, no second house tax , no LPT, no levy and as far as I remember you could claim all the mortgage interest back not just 75% of it ,no PRTB etc

last year was the first year since 2004 that the houses actually paid for themselves i.e. they covered the mortgage and paid for the tax bill so for 16 odd years I had to supplement the mortgage and pay a big tax bill annually on them …

My plan is to have them paid off in 9 years then then perhaps I would not have to work so hard or work at all and I could live off the rents and as you said own the assets also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What did you do about the ghost?

How thorough are you with reference checks for tenants? I'm currently the "landlord" for a few friends, I've gotten a couple calls over the years but I keep it short and just say they were with me x to y and always paid on time, nothing more

Have you ever got a bad feeling with someone at a viewing either and ruled them out? Vice versa, ever got a good vibe off someone and was just happy to take them and didn't do reference checks or the likes

I've found its more to do with the vibe you get from the person when you meet them .. I suspect most references are made up or pals of the prospective tenant...… the situation out there re property is desperate at the moment so people are doing what they can to secure a place..

I have met people who's references were perfect and just gotten a bad vibe when I met them and I have met people with no references but gotten a good vibe from them and given them the place...

irish_goat wrote: »
    What did you do about the ghost?
    :D:D told them to move the xmas tree in the attic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If the house is for a pension then why are you holding it personally rather than through a self administered pension fund?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If the house is for a pension then why are you holding it personally rather than through a self administered pension fund?

I was 23 when I bought the first house . I didn't know anything about pensions
    or a self administered fund .. I still don't …

I didn't buy the houses outright I have mortgages on them .. I don't think the bank would let a self administered pension fund buy them with a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

How habitable are the houses now? Have you had to spend significant sums refurbing after anyone has left? Are the properties in RPZs and have you considered renting out any of them for 10 years to the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Given the hefty taxes and charges now required of landlords would you recommend new landlords enter the letting market or not?

JustMe,K wrote: »
    How habitable are the houses now? Have you had to spend significant sums refurbing after anyone has left? Are the properties in RPZs and have you considered renting out any of them for 10 years to the council?

Hi,
    yes all are in the RPZ and all are with HAP. I did have to spend about 10k refurbing one after a tenant left .. the cops raided the place and they did a bit of damage on the celling and the back door ..

HAP used to be brilliant but there is a 4 month wait on getting paid at the moment when a tenant moves in for the first time ..this is the only downside that I can see about HAP..i had to cover the mortgage on one place from last October to end of Jan .. which was a right pain given xmas , my own mortgage etc ..

All are extremely habitable !!! if the tenant has any issue I do my best to have them resolved asap for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What is the most positive thing that happened to you as a landlord - as an example, a mate of mine was renting a house that was in OK condition, he let it out at a price that reflected it and 5 years later when the tenants left he was expecting to do a full refurb - he hadn't much contact with the tenants but it turns out the lad was a tradesman and had refurbished the house over the 5 years from top to bottom

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Given the hefty taxes and charges now required of landlords would you recommend new landlords enter the letting market or not?

Hi I would and wouldn't to be honest.

Its a 25 year commitment before you can make money from it.

I have 9 years left . you never really know what's around he corner, the recession was quite hard I had to put 1/3 of my wages to them per month to keep them and pay my own rent.....

I bought the 3 places for 807k all together
    they went up to 1.2 million in 2007 and then down to 400k in 2010

so basically if I had to sell all them in 2010 I would have owed the bank 400 k odd after I sold them .. I was 23 when the bank gave me the mortgage .. I was a lot braver then I am now …. we were all told to get on the ladder. they are never going to go down yada yada yada

there is also a lot of tax to pay

This is a ROUGH example

rent is 1000 per month
    mortgage is 1000 per month

At the end of the year the revenue will look at the 12000 rent as income and give you a tax bill of about 5 k on it ...

• Advertisement

Years ago a really bad landlord actually bragged to me that he was on his way to his tenant to upset him.
    This landlord is no longer one btw and a lot more besides I care not to mention.

Do you know any other bad form landlords like that?

What is the most positive thing that happened to you as a landlord - as an example, a mate of mine was renting a house that was in OK condition, he let it out at a price that reflected it and 5 years later when the tenants left he was expecting to do a full refurb - he hadn't much contact with the tenants but it turns out the lad was a tradesman and had refurbished the house over the 5 years from top to bottom

ha never happened me .. every time I had to repaint the place... and do a bit of repairs here and there ..

I did have a tenant that unbeknown to me was in a VERY bad place when they moved in they ended up living in my place for 9 years and while there totally transformed their life around .. even released a book while they were living in my house (which I bought) that was a really positive thing that I will always remember seeing that massive change in them

xieann wrote: »
    Years ago a really bad landlord actually bragged to me that he was on his way to his tenant to upset him.
    This landlord is no longer one btw and a lot more besides I care not to mention.

Do you know any other bad form landlords like that?

No I don't .. I'm not surprised that that person did not last long as a landlord
    you have to respect the tenants rights for privacy and that too ….

I'm really lost when landlords say they're broke from renting.

You gave a rough formulation there:

€1000 pm rent
    €1000 pm mortgage
    Taxman wants 5k at the end of the year as he sees the 12k as income.

But when the mortgage is paid, you can carry on renting or sell the property. You're left with a pretty big asset (or 3 of them in your case).
    Whereas renters continue to have low standards of living (as rents are generally >50% of salary) and can't save for mortgages as rents are so high.

As an investment, I see nothing wrong for the taxman looking for so much. You'll get your money back (and much more!) eventually.

Anyway, my question.

As a landlord, what would you suggest needs to be done to alleviate the nation of the housing crisis?

I'm really lost when landlords say they're broke from renting.

You gave a rough formulation there:

€1000 pm rent
    €1000 pm mortgage
    Taxman wants 5k at the end of the year as he sees the 12k as income.

But when the mortgage is paid, you can carry on renting or sell the property. You're left with a pretty big asset (or 3 of them in your case).
    Whereas renters continue to have low standards of living (as rents are generally >50% of salary) and can't save for mortgages as rents are so high.

As an investment, I see nothing wrong for the taxman looking for so much. You'll get your money back (and much more!) eventually.

Anyway, my question.

As a landlord, what would you suggest needs to be done to alleviate the nation of the housing crisis?

Hi there

The mortgage is for a term of 25 years …
    The 5k that in my example that the revenue would want . you would not physically have from the rent... try getting up 10k when you have to pay your own mortgage and live....

Some taxes on properties didn't exist in 2003 . PRSI on rent,USC on Rent ,PRTB,LPT etc one year your tax bill is 6k the next its 10k

Yes i will have a pretty big asset but it was no walk in the park keeping them and maintaining them.

I saved up for a mortgage in 2003 while all my pals were going on holidays and buying new cars i was bringing my own lunch to work and staying in on the weekends...that wasn't fun either but i did it …

re your question …

The government needs to build more units for social housing
    HAP is far to high .. this is driving a lot of the rent increases.
    Perhaps some tax cuts for private landlords
    A cut in the deposit amount for buyers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

How much do you pay to have your accounts done or do you do them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gerardmillrace

How often do you get the boilers checked in your rental properties?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    How much do you pay to have your accounts done or do you do them yourself?

Hi
    I get an accountant to do them at the end of the year for me.
    as far as I remember this years bill was about 500 per house for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

How much did you increase the rent by when you found out they had sublet the attic to a ghost?

• Advertisement

How often do you get the boilers checked in your rental properties?

1 has oil heating which has never given a days problem in 15 years...
    the other 2 are gas and are serviced yearly by an approved agent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement