Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

• 02-03-2020 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I didn't want to name Coronavirus specifically in the thread but yeah, with increasing calls and measures being put in place around the world to avoid events and large gatherings... surely this sentiment will filter down to making cinema trips.

Before anyone jumps in with "people are dying, who cares about cinema", yes, the impact on cinema is way down the list of things to be concerned about but I'm just curious about what the impact will be.

Globally, there must be a visible decline in bums on seats. Even the tentpole Spring/Summer blockbusters must revising their predicted box offices with the prospect of a prolonged epidemic.

At a personal level, will it cause you to maybe reconsider this weeks trip to the cinema? For me, I go maybe once every two months. I've no intention of going to the cinema though until this all settles down and is contained.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

It wouldn't make a difference to me unless it really ramps up. I have to go to work every day on public transport and then sit in a busy office building. The cinema is far less contact than the above.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have thought about this! Certainly Im going to reduce the potential exposure, whilst trying to live my life as normal. Cinema is an indulgence for me, so it can be removed off my lists of must dos. Going to work in an office, is a must do unfortunately.

• Hopefully there's a slew of superhero movies released now, and all the fans get the virus and never go to the cinema again. Theres no more market for super hero movies and film has a new golden age, and we all live happily ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

If people start to avoid cinemas, I think i'd be more likely to go. Less chance of muppets on phones/rustling popcorn etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Hopefully there's a slew of superhero movies released now, and all the fans get the virus and never go to the cinema again. Theres no more market for super hero movies and film has a new golden age, and we all live happily ever after.

Yes!!! The best outcome for this hopeless so called genre of horrendous film.

Maybe it might give birth to a new Kuberick etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hopefully there's a slew of superhero movies released now, and all the fans get the virus and never go to the cinema again. Theres no more market for super hero movies and film has a new golden age, and we all live happily ever after.

This sounds oddly like an origin story.
    I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

It did cross my mind when I went to see a film yesterday. I go 2 to 3 times a month and would miss it. I wonder where you draw the line though? Are pubs out as well? I was at a table quiz last week and the pub was packed. Also went to a super busy restaurant, so no more eating out? Shopping in supermarkets when it's busy? Until things get worse with more people infected I'm not changing my routine.

Space Dog wrote: »
    It did cross my mind when I went to see a film yesterday. I go 2 to 3 times a month and would miss it. I wonder where you draw the line though? Are pubs out as well? I was at a table quiz last week and the pub was packed. Also went to a super busy restaurant, so no more eating out? Shopping in supermarkets when it's busy? Until things get worse with more people infected I'm not changing my routine.

Great to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Titclamp wrote: »
    Great to know.

What is great to know?

Space Dog wrote: »
    What is great to know?

Yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

It's great to know that Titclamp isn't very impressed with Space Dog's post. For no apparent reason.

A valuable contribution to this thread. Just like this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

I went to the the cinema with my son on Saturday at noon and the cinemas was empty - nobody else there at all.

Might not be Corona related but more Doolittle related ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be heading into town for a monthly tech meetup, again on Thurs for an evening class; I work from home so wouldn't be out of the house al that much anyway, but either can't say I'm overly concerned. That said, nothing wrong with being cautious either and ordinarilly I'd keep my hands clean as much as possible and avoid touching "public" surfaces. Wouldn't be a germaphobe, but just strikes me as common sense.

I know it's only a joke, but wouldn't wish the virus on anyone, even in jest. Not until its severity is firmly confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Niska

Just don't watch Outbreak and you'll be fine...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I will continue living life normally until advised otherwise by health authorities. That includes going to the cinema :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Bacchus wrote: »
    I've no intention of going to the cinema though until this all settles down and is contained.

Assuming you're not over 70 or have some serious underlying health condition I think this is sensationalist and over the top. Same brigade as buying hand sanitizer in bulk etc. and statements like this just lead to undue panic.

Just keep living your life as normal and follow recommendations. I was at cinema yesterday with my 2 kids and I'm going to a concert next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

The world does like itself a good scaremongering.........Doesnt make a difference to me, if theres a movie I wanna see then I'll be going. The coronavirus isnt even something that crosses my mind for second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Assuming you're not over 70 or have some serious underlying health condition I think this is sensationalist and over the top. Same brigade as buying hand sanitizer in bulk etc. and statements like this just lead to undue panic.

Just keep living your life as normal and follow recommendations. I was at cinema yesterday with my 2 kids and I'm going to a concert next week.

Narrow POV. I am healthy. However, I have people in my life who are vulnerable. I'm thinking about them. Also, I'm not being sensationalist in the slightest. I said in the OP that I go about 6 times a year (and that's at the upper end) so me not going isn't a huge divergence from the norm. Hardly sensationalist.

As I said, I'm just curious about people's views on it and on the wider impact on cinema. Not stirring up panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yes!!! The best outcome for this hopeless so called genre of horrendous film.

Maybe it might give birth to a new Kuberick etc..

All the fans get the virus .......wow , get a life lads seriously if ya don't like superhero movies that's fine , but hoping people get a virus bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

As much as I love movies I don't go to the cinema as much as other people unless it's a movie I really want to support and do well. I saw Birds of Prey last weekend, but it was mainly because I was catching up with friends. With streaming platforms like Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max etc on the rise I find myself going to the cinema for movies I just want to check out less, especially major blockbusters that will be on a service I'll already be paying for or on sale in Golden Discs or Zavvi before long. There also isn't any movies coming out within a short space of time I'm really itching to see, so overall my viewing habits won't be affected, especially as I am still working my way through Pretty Little Liars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Looking forward to seeing the new Bond. Only way to watch Bond is on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Tend to avoid the cinema anyway because of people coughing, sneezing, chatting, kicking the back of the seat and playing with their mobile phones. Much rather be at home in the recliner, fire lit, watching whatever I want in comfort and peace. Even where there is something I might really want to see, in fact that would be even worse because the interruptions to something anticipated would be even more irritating.

But to answer OPs question, if I was a cinema goer I would probably knock it on the head, as I have already with other unnecessary crowds/ gatherings of people in confined spaces. What's the point taking a risk. Especially at the moment I am nearly 7 months pregnant. I can do without the complications arising from fever, pneumonia etc. Otherwise at any other stage in life, I probably wouldn't be too worried. It's all just a drive to promote bread sales etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There hasn’t been a good film in the cinema since Jurassic park.not worth going

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Looking forward to seeing the new Bond. Only way to watch Bond is on the big screen.

Well you're waiting until November now, they pushed it back due the corona virus

Out here on 12 November, and in the US on 25 November

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There seems to be a lot of movies these days where social distancing wouldn’t be an issue ;-) , but yeah I think Ill be giving the cinema a miss as Ive already decided to give public transport a miss.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Bacchus wrote: »
    Narrow POV.

It's not - it is pragmatic and based on fact.

China cases peaked and now declining - 90,000 cases out of their population is only 0.01%.

UK cases right now is about 0.0001%.

You have a very very low chance of being infected. A lot of the hype and hysteria is being caused by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

China cases peaked and now declining - 90,000 cases out of their population is only 0.01%.

You have a very very low chance of being infected. A lot of the hype and hysteria is being caused by the media.

The media is reporting cases and the markets. You might think the market is overreacting but perception is reality and right now we're heading for a global recession until things calm down. You might not get the virus, but you might lose your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Varik wrote: »
    Well you're waiting until November now, they pushed it back due the corona virus

Out here on 12 November, and in the US on 25 November

I wonder will Bond 26 be the only movie to be pushed back or will there be more? I see Bloodshot is supposed to be out soon but can see that being pushed back too and more if Covid-19 gets worse.

I went to the cinema yesterday and will continue to go as long as they are still open. I have noticed do the the choice of films in the cinema's is gone very dull so I have not been going as often as I normally would because there is not much out at the moment anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Your view that because I am healthy means I should not be concerned, is a narrow POV. I'm not worried about me, my concern is for those I am in regular contact with are considered "at risk" people.

To keep this on topic, cinema trips for me are a rare enough occurrence, and despite the low risk of contracting the virus, the risk to those close to me is great enough to forgo whatever trips I might have taken in the coming months.

As to this thread, I was just curious about general sentiment, not trying to add to any hype.

It will be interesting to see if any more movies push their release dates. I get that Bond is a specific case but still interesting to see how studios react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Neames

Points...James Bond

No James Bond.

Advertisement