Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 - Eastern Bypass

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/councillors-oppose-eastern-bypass-to-make-m50-fully-circular-1.2666479

In the news again after it was proposed to protect the route corridor in the recent Dublin transport strategy

I think that building a motorway across Sandymount strand is a complete non-runner. The public would just not accept it.

From that same article I see the Dublin councilors have voted against plans to increase apartment building heights - idiots! There is a housing crisis and building high rise will help solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

it makes perfect sense to keep the route clear. For a start there is no way it would surface run across Dublin bay. I also don't buy the 4 billion cost for a minute. So much traffic could be taken off the existing m50 and city streets if we had a full ring road...

They come out with "oh it could have housed an extra 2500 people" yeah tens of thousands extra could have been housed based on a decision you voted on the other day, bloody hypocrites...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,296 ✭✭✭cgcsb

For the cost we could have Metro North and DARTu and DART to Maynooth. which would do a lot more to remove cars from the road permanently rather than just divert them and attract more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What is the problem this road will solve?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JupiterKid wrote: »
    From that same article I see the Dublin councilors have voted against plans to increase apartment building heights - idiots! There is a housing crisis and building high rise will help solve the problem.

They voted to increase them, just not as much as the proposal (or enough).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Don't think the Eastern Bypass is a realistic prospect any time soon. However there's no practical reason at all to disrupt this protected route corridor, only ideological ones, which seems rampant in DCC these days. Cause for concern.

This is the kind of nonsense that led us to building housing right up to the northern line tracks, forever restricting its capacity.

We need the few remaining route corridors in this city to be preserved, not to build more gaffs on!!! Gobshytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Dublin City only control the route between the Port Tunnel and Sandymount Strand. The rest is DLR.

This is probably about property development around the Irish Glass site. No other reason for conflict here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Keep the land, even at some remote point in the future it should be used for Rail/Luas/Bus etc. None of those are any more pie-in-the-sky than the Eastern Bypass anyway.

It may eventually get built but will be in a tunnel under Sandymount. No way a bridge will be built... and anyone who says it will be us just scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What is the problem this road will solve?

Larry be able to get over to Bono's quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

I'm not aware of the exact route planned, but when reading the title my mind thought that a tunnel extension from somewhere under Fairview Park to N11 or Sandyford M50 junction would make absolute sense.

• Advertisement

YanisK wrote: »
    I'm not aware of the exact route planned, but when reading the title my mind thought that a tunnel extension from somewhere under Fairview Park to N11 or Sandyford M50 junction would make absolute sense.

What's the problem this would solve?
    How much traffic goes from Sandyford to M1? How much would pay €20 to go that way at peak times?

What's the problem this would solve?
    How much traffic goes from Sandyford to M1? How much would pay €20 to go that way at peak times?

The idea is to be able to reach North and South from the city centre/port without going in rounds.

Currently, shiploads of trucks blend with commuters every morning in the tunnel and then on the M50 to reach N4/7/11 and go their way.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The idea is to be able to reach North and South from the city centre/port without going in rounds.

Currently, shiploads of trucks blend with commuters every morning in the tunnel and then on the M50 to reach N4/7/11 and go their way.

Dublin Port said at a council meeting that they don't need the Eastern Bypass, they mainly just want the route confirmed and away from their land.

How would getting trucks to Sandyford be substantially better for trucks going to the N7 or N4 than at present?

How would getting trucks to Sandyford be substantially better for trucks going to the N7 or N4 than at present?

I'm getting the feeling that don't commute over the M50 :pac:

M50 S from Ballymun to Red Cow is very often clogged up like mayonnaise. Splitting the loads on both directions will keep traffic flowing..

How many trucks? How much would the tunnel cost to construct
    How much to operate?

Cost/benefit ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

I would hazard a guess that trucks are not the main congestion problem on the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm getting the feeling that don't commute over the M50 :pac:

M50 S from Ballymun to Red Cow is very often clogged up like mayonnaise. Splitting the loads on both directions will keep traffic flowing..

Have you ever tried to get out of Sandyford onto M50 N at rush hour? It's bad enough as it is now, but if there's a crash (frequently) the entire thing grinds to a halt from J14 onwards. I can't imagine that adding in a load of trucks would improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the Government refuses to build schemes such as the Eastern bypass and Cork North Ring Road but preserve potential corridors, it may be time to decide on a finalised alignment and protect that rather than "it could go along this route".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

If the Government refuses to build schemes such as the Eastern bypass and Cork North Ring Road
    In fairness Marno, the Government isn't exactly sitting on a giant pile of money and refusing to spend it. I can't think of any good reason why politicians would not be gagging to build these roads as quickly as possible - especially in an election year. If the roads aren't being built, it's due to reasons somewhat beyond the Government's reasonable control.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In fairness Marno, the Government isn't exactly sitting on a giant pile of money and refusing to spend it. I can't think of any good reason why politicians would not be gagging to build these roads as quickly as possible - especially in an election year. If the roads aren't being built, it's due to reasons somewhat beyond the Government's reasonable control.

Sorry I phrased that wrong.

If there is no intention to build these schemes in the short or even medium term, define the routes themselves rather than potential corridors and protect that. There's no point in development land lying idle because it's a "potential corridor" for a potential future road scheme.

Sorry I phrased that wrong.

If there is no intention to build these schemes in the short or even medium term, define the routes themselves rather than potential corridors and protect that. There's no point in development land lying idle because it's a "potential corridor" for a potential future road scheme.

Unfortunately LA's seam to use this excuse alot. I know several developments that have being turned down because they may build a road. It does not help with strategic planning, it even happens with one off houses ( i know one off houses is the height off evil on boards.ie)

The state needs t spend money, tens of billions, on public transport before it even considers another motorway scheme. I see they're hard at work widening the M7, so that more cars can come up from the country and sit in traffic and kill us with diesel fumes. eff that, get tunneling now, get electrifying the railways now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

cgcsb wrote: »
    The state needs t spend money, tens of billions, on public transport before it even considers another motorway scheme. I see they're hard at work widening the M7, so that more cars can come up from the country and sit in traffic and kill us with diesel fumes. eff that, get tunneling now, get electrifying the railways now.

they need to build and outer orbital to stop everyone having to go to M50 to get to airport / North.

M7 widening will mainly benefit the areas where the 3 lanes are going as there are no additional lanes being built from Naas to Dublin, so the effect on Naas to Dublin will be miniscule, but it will allow for a lot of development, esp of the commercial Millenium park which hopefully sees more companies move out of Dublin.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    they need to build and outer orbital to stop everyone having to go to M50 to get to airport / North.

M7 widening will mainly benefit the areas where the 3 lanes are going as there are no additional lanes being built from Naas to Dublin, so the effect on Naas to Dublin will be miniscule, but it will allow for a lot of development, esp of the commercial Millenium park which hopefully sees more companies move out of Dublin.

Precisely miniscule improvement, redirect the resources to public transport infrastructure.

Besides what's the point anyway, Irish people can't drive on three lane roads, they all think that the middle lane is the slow lane. Maybe spend some money educating people how to use these roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

To what extent can a corridor be protected though - like isn't the M20 gone for a full redesign even though it had been granted planning permission in the past?

To what extent can a corridor be protected though - like isn't the M20 gone for a full redesign even though it had been granted planning permission in the past?

City ring roads like the N40 and Eastern bypass will only ever really have one corridor because only one route will be protected (the perceived best route) and any other route would require significant demolition

The difference with the M20 and other similar schemes is they could take totally different routes (e.g. via Mitchelstown or Cahir)

cgcsb wrote: »
    Precisely miniscule improvement, redirect the resources to public transport infrastructure.

Besides what's the point anyway, Irish people can't drive on three lane roads, they all think that the middle lane is the slow lane. Maybe spend some money educating people how to use these roads.

Your being very nice there, irish people cant drive on single carriageways from what i have seen in my travels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it hasn't gone away:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/housing-plan-in-dublin-halted-to-facilitate-eastern-bypass-1.4189623

Personally I think as time goes by this is less and less likely to ever be built due to the astronomical cost, environmental considerations and the prioritisation of the public transport (in Dublin at least). The section from the north port to the south port might happen, though this could be achieved easier and cheaper with a bridge if you weren't concerned with the longer term aim of completing the ring.

Advertisement