Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Jorge 29 Feb

• 27-02-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry
    Severe winds expected during Saturday
    Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65-80km/h with gusts of 110-130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.
    Valid: 06:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    Rainfall accumulations of 20-30mm expected during Friday and Saturday generally with a continuing risk of flooding due to already saturated ground and elevated river levels.
    Valid: 00:01 Friday 28/02/2020 to 23:59 Saturday 29/02/2020

High tides Sat 4.5 metres at 08:35 & 20:57
    https://www.met.ie/warnings/galway
    Expect Salthill flooding again due to wind direction

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

zell12 wrote: »
    High tides Sat 4.5 metres at 08:35 & 20:57
    https://www.met.ie/warnings/galway
    Expect Salthill flooding again due to wind direction

Lucky those high tides aren't too big then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Forecaster Evelyn Cusack now says western coastal areas will also be facing status red conditions.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/met-eireann-warns-particularly-bad-day-in-store-for-galway-from-early-tomorrow/

Status Red - Gale Warning
    1. Southwest gale force 8 to strong gale force 9 will develop tonight on Irish Coastal Waters from Mizen Head to Slyne Head to Rossan Point. Winds will veer westerly Saturday morning and increase to Storm Force 10 and occasionally Violent Storm Force 11.
    2. West to southwest Gale Force 8 to Storm Force 10 winds will extend to all Irish Coastal Waters and the Irish Sea Saturday morning and afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

zell12 wrote: »
    Forecaster Evelyn Cusack now says western coastal areas will also be facing status red conditions.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/met-eireann-warns-particularly-bad-day-in-store-for-galway-from-early-tomorrow/

Status Red - Gale Warning
    1. Southwest gale force 8 to strong gale force 9 will develop tonight on Irish Coastal Waters from Mizen Head to Slyne Head to Rossan Point. Winds will veer westerly Saturday morning and increase to Storm Force 10 and occasionally Violent Storm Force 11.
    2. West to southwest Gale Force 8 to Storm Force 10 winds will extend to all Irish Coastal Waters and the Irish Sea Saturday morning and afternoon.

That's a red Marine warning you're talking about there, really should be clear about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah, they copied and pasted the marine warning alright.
    While a status orange weather warning has been issued for the west coast – Forecaster Evelyn Cusack now says western coastal areas will also be facing status red conditions.

However, this makes it sound like an upgrade to red is likely enough.

Yeah, they copied and pasted the marine warning alright.

However, this makes it sound like an upgrade to red is likely enough.

Weather forum has a dedicated thread with all the relevant info. Updates at 3pm from ME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I found the name a bit odd but it the storm was named by the Spanish Meteorological Service

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Status Red - Wind warning for Galway and Clare
    Very severe winds associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay) on Saturday.
    Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 85 to 100km/h in places on Saturday afternoon with gusts of 130 to 145km/h, with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 13:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Friday 28/02/202
    Meet you all for a lunchtime dip in Blackrock?

Red warning now in place for Galway between 1pm and 4 pm tomorrow.

Eyre Square Centre closing from 12pm and not reopening.

We wish to advise our customers that as a result of the red weather warning issued by Met Éireann and in the interests of the safety of our employees and customers, all services in Galway and Clare will be suspended between 1300 and 1600 on Saturday, 29 February.
    https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=3871&month=Feb

Looks like the red warning was well warranted

• Advertisement

Joyce's was mad this morning even with extra staff on hand. Hopefully the staff are having a quiet afternoon now as everyone should be back home with their feet up.

What plans did you end up cancelling today? We were meant to be going around town playing Cluedo on some app solving a mystery. https://www.cluedupp.com/

It’s a day for the high stool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Seems very gusty alright. Haven't heard much reports of damage or trees down but we are generally braced better for westerly storms.
    Joyce's was mad this morning even with extra staff on hand.

I passed Dunnes Terryland at 11:15 and there was a stream of cars coming in and out of the carpark to a closed off front door. The red warning was brought forward to 11am and shops closed an hour earlier that planned, on short notice.

Hopefully those affected will survive through to later this afternoon when it blows over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Dunnes Briarhill was manic this morning, like Christmas Eve. Shop closed at 11 and they started making announcements asking people to go to the checkouts immediately - queues the length of the aisles just to check out. You'd swear this was going to be a week long event...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Ah lads, this looks like great craic...

https://twitter.com/eoinyeo/status/1233723161675476998

Anyone got a spare longboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Did we actually get Ellen, Francis and Gerd in the interim since Dennis hit.
    Wasn't sure if what came through this part of the country actually qualified as storms. Nasty weather yeah but thought it had to be above a certain intensity to be a named storm.
    Could have passed through elsewhere though, just a little surprised we seemed to have skipped a few letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Last weeks storm didn’t get a name. This would have been Storm Ellen but the Spanish met spotted it first and called it Jorge.

Cinemas. Eye are closed until 5.45. Salthill Omniplex until 3.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Dunnes Briarhill was manic this morning, like Christmas Eve. Shop closed at 11 and they started making announcements asking people to go to the checkouts immediately - queues the length of the aisles just to check out. You'd swear this was going to be a week long event...

Doesn't take much to realise that a large part of the general public are fooking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Doesn't take much to realise that a large part of the general public are fooking idiots.

As time goes on I'm beginning to think over 90% of the public are fooking idiots.
    Did you hear about the lad that drove his car into a flood and than rang Keith finnegan looking for Keith to get him a replacement car ???
    We Irish say the Americans are stupid .... The clowns I deal with daily would give them a good run for their money !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

flazio wrote: »
    Last weeks storm didn’t get a name. This would have been Storm Ellen but the Spanish met spotted it first and called it Jorge.
    I thought it had to keep to the Latin alphabetical sequence or the extended one that's used internationally so wouldn't skip from letter D to letter J . But would use whichever letter name the specific country recognised as naming it used.
    & I am not sure how many letters are used internationally. Do know that the original Latin one had a few less than the 26 used in the English one.

• Advertisement

Joyces Athenry never closed. A constant stream of muppets going in for bread and milk with most struggling to walk to the door in a straight line

Complacency is creeping in, only a matter of time time until there's a good few people killed, but at least they will qualify for a Darwin Award so there's that I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭thesandeman

A truck was blown over near Maam. I can't link the video but it's on the Garda and Advertiser Twitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭39steps

Anyone lose their Freeway TV channels in the store? Ours gone in Rahoon since 2.15 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

A red warning in place for literally a few hours and people packing the stops as if it were an impending nuclear war. I struggle with the logic of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Homelander wrote: »
    A red warning in place for literally a few hours and people packing the stops as if it were an impending nuclear war. I struggle with the logic of it.

Pasta and rice low in Aldi. I reckon more virus fear than Jorge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Homelander wrote: »

The shops are always pretty busy all day on Saturdays with people doing their weekly shop routine.... So the shop was gonna to be closed for half the day ish so they all went in the morning. I'm sure there is a few dumbies there but majority would be trying to just get the weekly shop done out of the way... I assume

Sure you're on the internet. No good trying to talk any sense. 100% of that horad were selfish, idiotic, sheeples who definitely aren't living life better than you with a bit of craic, possibly a sneaky bottle, and a nice meal by the fire to make the best of a duvet day. Idiots obviously.

Sure you're on the internet. No good trying to talk any sense. 100% of that horad were selfish, idiotic, sheeples who definitely aren't living life better than you with a bit of craic, possibly a sneaky bottle, and a nice meal by the fire to make the best of a duvet day. Idiots obviously.

Ah ya sure never mind the fact that management and staff have to get home as you long as you get your 'sneaky' bottle, members of Mensa I guess.

Ah ya sure never mind the fact that management and staff have to get home as you long as you get your 'sneaky' bottle, members of Mensa I guess.

I'm agreeing with you. We should have shut down the country the last 3 weekends running. Genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring the niceness back up please

Advertisement