Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Newbies looking to try rifles- help

Options
  • 29-02-2020 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi folks.

My father and I have been shooting bows for pushing 5 years. I used to shoot rifles when living in Canada but not held one since i got back here 3 years ago. We're hoping theres somewhere about that we could go and get a lesson/rental, to introduce my father to rifles and see if its something he wants to invest in.

Thoughts and suggestions ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hi folks.

My father and I have been shooting bows for pushing 5 years. I used to shoot rifles when living in Canada but not held one since i got back here 3 years ago. We're hoping theres somewhere about that we could go and get a lesson/rental, to introduce my father to rifles and see if its something he wants to invest in.

Thoughts and suggestions ?
    Thanks

Hilltop shooting club in Newtownmountkennedy. http://hilltopshootingsports.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

Courtlough Shooting Grounds in North Country Dublin

https://courtlough.ie/shooting-grounds/rifle-shooting/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭GooseB

If I were you I'd look up a club in your area if there is one. Most likely they'll invite you down, explain what they do and let you try the various disciplines that they shoot. And it'll probably cost you nothing. That's how I got started 12 months ago. Everyone at the club I spoke to were very positive and encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭badaj0z

GooseB wrote: »
    If I were you I'd look up a club in your area if there is one. Most likely they'll invite you down, explain what they do and let you try the various disciplines that they shoot. And it'll probably cost you nothing. That's how I got started 12 months ago. Everyone at the club I spoke to were very positive and encouraging.

That is our approach to looking after people who want to try out target shooting, pistol, rifle or shotgun. If they are not sure whether they will like it or not, or do not know which of the types of shooting they will like best, then the best approach is to let them see the various disciplines in action and then try out the ones that appeal to them most. We are based in Roundwood, County Wicklow.

http://eastcoastshootingclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Let us know what part of the country you are in (roughly) and we can tell you the nearest club/range.

Another thing to factor in is the type of rifle shooting you want to do. Do you want to shoot max 100m or do you want to shoot out further, e.g. 300m, 600m 1000m etc.? There are only a few ranges that cater for distances greater than 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭scwazrh

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Let us know what part of the country you are in (roughly) and we can tell you the nearest club/range.

Another thing to factor in is the type of rifle shooting you want to do. Do you want to shoot max 100m or do you want to shoot out further, e.g. 300m, 600m 1000m etc.? There are only a few ranges that cater for distances greater than 100m.

What ranges shoot out past 100m apart from Midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

scwazrh wrote: »
    What ranges shoot out past 100m apart from Midlands?

An Riocht in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭scwazrh

An Riocht in Kerry.

Do you know of any the other side of our island ?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Do you know of any the other side of our island ?

Donneyboe , Strabane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

An Riocht in Kerry.

300y max

• Advertisement
Advertisement