Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Quays

• 28-02-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

So, this week has been a nightmare on the quays. I get the 7.40 79a every morning, it gets to the quays at about 8.05 but then spends forty minutes inching forward in the bus lane until I get off at my stop at about 8.50.

My idea, the Liffey is useless. Like it does nothing, but it does offer up a line straight to town for commuters. So what about either a travelator or a cable car? Maybe a boat? There has to be something that could transport people from Heuston to O Connell Bridge and also avoid the cars on the Quays.

What do you think? Could this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Walk.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

MartDublin wrote: »
    So, this week has been a nightmare on the quays. I get the 7.40 79a every morning, it gets to the quays at about 8.05 but then spends forty minutes inching forward in the bus lane until I get off at my stop at about 8.50.

My idea, the Liffey is useless. Like it does nothing, but it does offer up a line straight to town for commuters. So what about either a travelator or a cable car? Maybe a boat? There has to be something that could transport people from Heuston to O Connell Bridge and also avoid the cars on the Quays.

Are you aware of the LUAS?

Abbey Street is almost literally around the corner from O Connell Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

A submarine would do the job best.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

devnull wrote: »
    Are you aware of the LUAS?

Abbey Street is almost literally around the corner from O Connell Bridge.
    And the Smithfield stop is a stone's throw from the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Thats what the Dart Underground was supposed to do
    There was also a plan for cable car between the docklands and Hueston in the celtic tiger called 'SUAS'
    cable2_2.jpg
    cable3_2.jpg
    Though i think the target audience would have been tourists and not commuters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

our transport "system" is a farce! It takes what forty five minutes to move a few km? what a brilliant utilisation of the bus and driver and peoples time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It's quicker to walk distances of a few km anywhere near town. It's almost grinded to a stop. Unless you are going somewhere on the dart line its walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don’t know where 79a pulls in on the quays but I have great sympathy.

I take a bus occasionally that stops on Bachelors Walk and it’s unreal..... bus after bus, private, tour buses, long distance you name it all bunched up.and a skinny overcrowded ratty pavement to boot.

Meanwhile a stretch of the quays at the woolen mills a few meters back is empty.

what is the issue here, where are the pinch points?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

That 79/79A routing in the city centre is ridiculous. It wastes more time trying to get out of the bus lane on Ormond Quay, trying to jockey for positioning to turn into Parliament Street and then onto Dame Street, where what little bus lanes that exist are used for everything else except buses.

It should be sent straight down to Eden Quay, turning around at Rosie Hackett Bridge and back to Aston Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what is the issue here, where are the pinch points?!

The junction between halfpenny bridge and o'Connell st is a disaster.

Need to restrict tourist busses at rush hour

Stheno wrote: »
    The junction between halfpenny bridge and o'Connell st is a disaster.

Need to restrict tourist busses at rush hour

could they not send some buses down the luas line?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Idbatterim wrote: »
    could they not send some buses down the luas line?

Did you not see the mad crash on the Luas line a few months ago in Smithfield?

That 79/79A routing in the city centre is ridiculous. It wastes more time trying to get out of the bus lane on Ormond Quay, trying to jockey for positioning to turn into Parliament Street and then onto Dame Street, where what little bus lanes that exist are used for everything else except buses.

It should be sent straight down to Eden Quay, turning around at Rosie Hackett Bridge and back to Aston Quay.

Sounds like good plan but who is listening?

Same goes for the unbelievable bunching on Bachelors Walk. As I said the stops could be spread out a bit more eg private and tour buses stop at the woollen mills and DB at Bachelors Walk or vice versa.

No one who can decide these things seem to care though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Ban all private cars, except those with disabled badges, from the entire city centre. Force people onto public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Ban all private cars, except those with disabled badges, from the entire city centre. Force people onto public transport.

I would be happy if they just get rid of cars, including taxis, between Four Courts and Custom House. Fill the empty space with wider footpaths and bicycle lanes.

Need to put the decision makers down the Quays on a bus.

Easy to make or not to make decisions for the good of everyone (bus drivers and commuters) if you never have to do it yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Taxis out of bus lanes would be a major first start. It was a ridiculous trial that never ended.

L1011 wrote: »
    Taxis out of bus lanes would be a major first start. It was a ridiculous trial that never ended.

I don’t think taxis will ever be banned from bus lanes in the immediate future.

But I agree it would help enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

On a 39a inbound Wednesday morning and spent about 15 minutes on the north quays as far as Ormond quay , including 3 light changes at church street junction .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

L1011 wrote: »

Sure they banned taxis from using the bus gate southbound between 7am and 10am and you only need to stand there a minute or two to count double digits going through. Taxi regulator is useless, lack of fines for illegal ranking in city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Contra flow bus lanes don't take taxis. That could be an option along the quays, although it would require a major rethink bus stops are placed and a reduction generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/

I will just add this to the mix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There has to be something that could transport people from Heuston to O Connell Bridge and also avoid the cars on the Quays.

the obvious answer is to take the cars off the quays. The recent traffic survey showed more people cycle along the north quays than are in cars, and more still are in buses. It's a farce that they get so much space. No road inside the canals should have more than one lane for private traffic.

As others have mentioned the taxi situation needs to be tackled as well - a taxi with one passenger is no different to a private car; a taxi with no passengers is worse but they still use the bus lanes.

It's quicker to walk distances of a few km anywhere near town. It's almost grinded to a stop. Unless you are going somewhere on the dart line its walking.

I used to get the luas from abbey street to mayor square. If I missed the luas and it was 7 minutes til the next Luas, I'd walk. I few times, i got to mayor square before the Luas i missed did. Transport around that area is so slow.

Advertisement