Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putter Recommendation

Options
  • 22-02-2020 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Have had a few putting lessons from a local pro of late using capto technology. All that can be done in this dire weather. Turns out the second hand putter I have with the last 7-8 years is not the correct fit for me. It's too long, lie and too flat and it has too much toe hang. My stroke has very little putter face rotation.

I have €150 in vouchers for McGuirks and wish to upgrade my putter. The pro has measured me up and I need a 34" putter, standard lie angle and face balanced or minor toe hang.

Any recommendations? Want to limit budget to €300 in total.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

almostover wrote: »
    Have had a few putting lessons from a local pro of late using capto technology. All that can be done in this dire weather. Turns out the second hand putter I have with the last 7-8 years is not the correct fit for me. It's too long, lie and too flat and it has too much toe hang. My stroke has very little putter face rotation.

I have €150 in vouchers for McGuirks and wish to upgrade my putter. The pro has measured me up and I need a 34" putter, standard lie angle and face balanced or minor toe hang.

There are 100s and really u have a super choice with those specs, it's just a matter of spending some time in store seeing what feels best for u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

You should of asked the pro rather than some randomers on the internet like myself, who probably know **** all about putter face rotation lol.

Try out the Taylormade spider that Rory, Day, Rahm & Dustin use, I think that is face balanced as opposed to a Scotty Cameron Newport 2.

Ask the lads in the shop.

I think the new Scotty Cameron’s coming out next month are the nicest putters I’ve seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Apparently the below new Odyssey putter is a take on the Taylormade spider putter after the designer jumped ships.
    It looks a top class design and not bad at €259.

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/odyssey-triple-track-ten-putter-gents-rh/p-od20c0546odytttenputtergentsrh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

You cant recommend a putter. You just have to go try them. whats nice for you may not be good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Dbu wrote: »
    You cant recommend a putter. You just have to go try them. whats nice for you may not be good for me.

Agreed... Know some great golfers who are using cheap old putters that they have had for 20 years and they work and others who jump from one to another and works for them...

I have a original TM Spider with fat grip that I can't see myself ever changing for example and before that was a now 20+ year old Scotty Cameron Newport (before inserts :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Yeah i'd agree with the sentiment that you cant really specify one particular putter to someone based on your own preference. What is important is that you are fit for the right type, e.g. face balance, toe hang, etc.....i used a tow hang Ping B60 for years but when i asked in a pro shop it turns out i should have been using a face balance all along which goes some way to explaining why i'd miss so many short putts before! As for specific putters, I've been trying a few difference ones recently....current favourite is an odyssey o works marksman as i find its very good on the shorter putts compared to the other 2 I've tried. I have a scotty i like too with a milled face but its not as sharp on the shorter putts probably because its not face balanced. I prefer the feel of the milled face which is much difference from the face insert of the marksman. So pick the right balance, pick the right style and then the right feel as it varies a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Also, price does not always equal good/ good fit for you. My kid has a €25 Fazer (very like the ones Rory et al use), I have a Scotty and I've threatened to swap him for the last year or so. I might yet!!

Jim Furyk won a scatter of cash with a 2nd hand $39 putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Also, price does not always equal good/ good fit for you. My kid has a €25 Fazer (very like the ones Rory et al use), I have a Scotty and I've threatened to swap him for the last year or so. I might yet!!

Jim Furyk won a scatter of cash with a 2nd hand $39 putter.

To be fair Jim Furyk could probably do a job putting with a shovel! Fair point on the budget though but i'd say the fact that the OP has a 150 euro voucher, he's probably thinking of pushing the boat out.....150 will get odyssey o-works and a bit more will get you into the stroke labs....nice putters as I already mentioned.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Spent about 1.5 hours in the store trying out putters and kept returning to the Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle. 34" length as recommended by the pro I took putting lessons from and a face balanced design which he recommended too. Went for the smaller pistol grip as it felt more comfortable in my hands. Really like the alignment lines on top. I mark my ball with a line too which makes lining up easier. €229 for the putter minus €150 so only €79 of my own money. Happy out, now to practice as much as possible with it and put the lessons into practice. Weather keeping my course closed again this weekend which is a bummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

QUOLF GOLF Two-Way Putter sounds a cheap option but its performance is very good for beginners. Yes, as a beginner, I have used it and it is basically a lightweight two-way putter with excellent rubber grip but if you a tall man then it wouldn't be the right choice for you. Another affordable option could be Odyssey Hot Pro 2.0 Putter, especially for fast greens. However, if you want to analyze one of the best putters yourself then you can also their reviews from here.

TaylorMade Golf putters also have positive reviews among users. Particularly, they have their own BLAST-powered real-time analytics system that works very accurately. If your question is about price then for sure for these kinds of advanced features, they will charge more. Its price is from £139.00 - £392.49. You need to contact to the typical or online seller to get more info. I think it is available at Amazon here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

plenty of variety with the strokelab putters. I switched to the double width last year and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Whichever putter that has the highest MOI that you can bear looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Very hard to get my head around spending a lot of money on a putter, even though it's the club you'll hit most in your bag. I got a taylor made rossa monte carlo or something about a decade ago. I liked the feel and look of it and it was only €99.

I suspect my main reservation is that I much rather the long game, so wouldn't want to spend money on the part I enjoy less.

Advertisement