Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The leap to Zen 2 architecture and improved clock speeds is a huge leap over the Jaguar processor in the PS4,that was basically a mobile part at the time. So I'm hopeful we will see a lot more 60fps games.

I didn't think last gen was supposed to be the 60fps gen,once we knew what cpu was in those consoles they were never going to be able for 60fps in the majority of games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You talk like 60FPS is tied to hardware and isn't totally down to a developers choice.

The WiiU had a worse CPU than the PS4 yet Nintendo put out a lot of 60 FPS games on it.

A better CPU will be great for game logic and will help get games to 60 FPS more easily.

But also getting a 100% increase in CPU and GPU clocks is great as well when you drop to 30FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You talk like 60FPS is tied to hardware and isn't totally down to a developers choice.

The WiiU had a worse CPU than the PS4 yet Nintendo put out a lot of 60 FPS games on it.

A better CPU will be great for game logic and will help get games to 60 FPS more easily.

But also getting a 100% increase in CPU and GPU clocks is great as well when you drop to 30FPS.

Not a lot of WilU games looked as good as a game on Xbox or PS4 though. If they did they'd be crawling along in single digit FPS.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

But that's a very subjective thing to say. I'm not really any sort of Nintendo fan (being a man in my 40's they haven't been relevant to me in 30 years :P) but they seem to be one of the very few players in town that gives consideration to "how will this run on the platform?" when they start their design. Everyone else just seems to think that you need to make things have 16 million colours at 4k res and with 100GB of art assets to make a "good looking" game which is frankly a load of cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Teaser for a new Platinum game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I said a lot more games not every game,Devs can have their choice. It's a choice they wouldn't have had this gen really isn't it? Hardware has a massive impact on that,we don't see many games locked to 30 FPS on PC do we? Devs could have their choice to do it their too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yakuza 0 free on xbox game pass from today. Lucky bastards.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Windows too as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/1232719213283790848?s=19

A new Shovel Knight game, like Shovel Knight Dig it won't be part of the Treasure Trove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Windows too as far as I recall.

Yup, just checked and first game to show up on the Xbox App. Also, Two Point Hospital and Indivisible added to PC today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sweet, gonna have to check that out later.
    The Yakuza series has always alluded me. I loved Shenmue and it's a sort of 'sequel' to it so when I played the first Yakuza on the PS2 I quite enjoyed it. But stopped half way through. No it's like I have to go through them all now.

Is the first game still the best in the series?
    It was remade too right?

I've played all except 3, 4 and 5 (all part of a remaster collection so they're on my list) but it will be hard to top Zero. Slow start but absolutely amazing when the game opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've played all except 3, 4 and 5 (all part of a remaster collection so they're on my list) but it will be hard to top Zero. Slow start but absolutely amazing when the game opens up.

Have to agree. It was the first one I played and admittedly, the first few hours were a bit of a slog, especially being new to the franchise. Once you get the first few chapters done though, both the game and the story really open up though and it's a really enjoyable game. Didn't like Yakuza Kiwami 1 as much though, and haven't cracked into YK2 or Y6, both of which I own but haven't started.

Would definitely recommend Y0 though, especially free on Gamepass.

Penn wrote: »
    Have to agree. It was the first one I played and admittedly, the first few hours were a bit of a slog, especially being new to the franchise. Once you get the first few chapters done though, both the game and the story really open up though and it's a really enjoyable game. Didn't like Yakuza Kiwami 1 as much though, and haven't cracked into YK2 or Y6, both of which I own but haven't started.

Would definitely recommend Y0 though, especially free on Gamepass.

2 and 6 are better than 1 imo. 6 has a great laid back, old man Kiryu feel to it, nice coastal town is a welcome change as well. 2 then has everything, great story, new engine and the best bits from 0, 1 and 6. Absolutely jam packed with stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ive said before, there’s a lot to like about Yakuza, and 0 was definitely a welcome highlight since they dialled up the zaniness several notches.

But I also think once you’ve played one of the others, you’ve sort of played them all. The series has evolved at a snail’s pace, and even major engine upgrades or setting changes sometimes feel strangely modest.

There’s also the problem that the games generally are overlong and take dozens of hours to get through. Mixed with the repetition that sets in over single games - let alone multiple ones - I find it hard to motivate to push on with them.

I played and finished Y3 years ago, and have enjoyed a decent chunk of 0. But having tried others - including Dead Souls, which is more of the same even with bloomin’ zombies added! - I really haven’t found that motivation to properly commit to any others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least Yakuza 7 looks like it's going to change up the formula radically with utterly insane turn based JRPG combat.

What I'm most excited about is on the rare occasion Sega do make JRPGs they are usually pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ive said before, there’s a lot to like about Yakuza, and 0 was definitely a welcome highlight since they dialled up the zaniness several notches.

But I also think once you’ve played one of the others, you’ve sort of played them all. The series has evolved at a snail’s pace, and even major engine upgrades or setting changes sometimes feel strangely modest.

That was part of my problem with YK1, even though it had been maybe 3 months after playing Y0, it just felt far too similar. I think you need a decent break between playing the games to get proper enjoyment out of them, especially as they're nearly all in the same city, similar side missions, similar mini-games, similar combat.

Platinum games setting up a new office to focus on 'live service' games.

Oh dear... I could just about handle Astral Chain being a 30fps title but I think Anthem and Destiny 2 has shown that live service games are a saturated market and not an area of growth for the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Platinum games setting up a new office to focus on 'live service' games.

Oh dear... I could just about handle Astral Chain being a 30fps title but I think Anthem and Destiny 2 has shown that live service games are a saturated market and not an area of growth for the industry.
    I see your Anthem and Destiny 2 and raise you Warframe and Path of Exile.

• Advertisement

True, Warframe and Path of Exile are live services done right but they got in there before the market was saturated and have been around long enough to build very satisfying games on top of their initial launches.

True, Warframe and Path of Exile are live services done right but they got in there before the market was saturated and have been around long enough to build very satisfying games on top of their initial launches.
    Therein lies the more interesting argument I think, whether these games under-preformed due to market saturation or because they weren't actually done right.

I'd argue that what most of the recent failures in the AAA GaaS/F2P space have in common is that they just weren't great to begin with so on that basis, the only thing stopping Platinum from succeeding is a mediocre game.

In the meantime however...

Well Warframe reviewed poorly on release as well and transformed into a fantastic game.

It's had years to build on those foundations.

A new game launching fresh into the market is competing against games with years of content drops. It's why MMOs are so hard to get off the ground. Even ff14 needed a massive overhaul and relaunch.

Well Warframe reviewed poorly on release as well and transformed into a fantastic game.

It's had years to build on those foundations.

A new game launching fresh into the market is competing against games with years of content drops. It's why MMOs are so hard to get off the ground. Even ff14 needed a massive overhaul and relaunch.
    My understanding of Warframe on release was that the game had solid fundamentals but they had made a rather horrible mistep with regards certain progression locked behind micro-transactions. After they fixed that it was just an (admittedly difficult) case of growing their audience over time.

This is the difference I see between it and the likes of Anthem, the latter just didn't have the fundamentals in place to offer a lasting experience for people to grind and/or return to frequently.

I wouldn't for a second suggest Platinum will have it easy on launch, my point is more if they can release a solid game which can be built upon it'll have a pretty decent chance of success based on its own merits rather than being stymied simply because of existing competition in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So GOG.com just updated their refund policy to allow for up to 30 days even if you have played the game!

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006129837?product=gog

Feels like it will get abused but you can't fault CDPR for their commitment to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Cina wrote: »
    So GOG.com just updated their refund policy to allow for up to 30 days even if you have played the game!

Feels like it will get abused

GOG Support: Sir you finished the game 3 times in 29 days

Customer: Yes and i wasnt satisfied with any of the multiple endings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cina wrote: »

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006129837?product=gog

Feels like it will get abused but you can't fault CDPR for their commitment to customers.

I think it's a mistake to be that generous but if it get's abused they'll stop.

Can a lot of third parties no longer offering their stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

nix wrote: »
    GOG Support: Sir you finished the game 3 times in 29 days

Customer: Yes and i wasnt satisfied with any of the multiple endings

It's like those negative steam reviews. Time played 7000 hours. Review "broken garbage".

This is a great win for them. Offering better terms or easier methods to refund tends to have little to no impact on the number of people refunding.

You might not believe it from reading modern games media. But 99% of gamers are pretty decent..... Or at least too lazy to bother :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It's like those negative steam reviews. Time played 7000 hours. Review "broken garbage".

This is a great win for them. Offering better terms or easier methods to refund tends to have little to no impact on the number of people refunding.

You might not believe it from reading modern games media. But 99% of gamers are pretty decent..... Or at least too lazy to bother :)

Oh i know, I'm one of them, but i do my homework before purchasing, so im rarely ever disappointed with a purchase. I think I've refunded a steam game once, and it was with the intent to buy the game again down the line when more work had been done on it.

My post was in jest but im sure there will be some people doing that kinda thing, and with the large time window, im sure more will be tempted to start doing it too..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement