Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a good Ace Combat game? :confused:

They're all great except assault horizon but that one doesn't exist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Boot up time of PS4 doesn’t really bother me - longer than an SSD obviously but not enough to in any way inconvenience me.

It’s the updating process that drives me up the ****ing wall - absolute pain when you try to boot up a game with a big update. The next gen consoles will hopefully use their SSDs to sort that out, because it’s the one area I think is in need of urgent upgrading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the consoles do have background updating options when in standby, not sure if it updates all games as well but then you have to leave the system plugged in and in standby.

So yeah for my own personal use it's kind of annoying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep I don’t leave my console plugged in on standby all the time. Too wasteful.

I understand updates are large for games so there’ll always be some inconvenience. But an update I downloaded recently also spent like 30-45 mins ‘copying’ data on top of the actual download time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

First world problems : hyperbole edition

I was just looking at the definition of hyperbole on google and didn't think I'd get the opportunity to use it so soon.

• Advertisement

Yep I don’t leave my console plugged in on standby all the time. Too wasteful.

I understand updates are large for games so there’ll always be some inconvenience. But an update I downloaded recently also spent like 30-45 mins ‘copying’ data on top of the actual download time.

That's just Sony's awful software as usual. Sony, great hardware (unless it's to do with Disc drives), awful software. The fact that this is still a hangover from the PS3 era while Microsoft and everyone else on PC can have it install while downloading baffles me.
    gimli2112 wrote: »

I was just looking at the definition of hyperbole on google and didn't think I'd get the opportunity to use it so soon.

Not even going to argue with that because it's definitely first world problems :D Still doesn't change the fact that it would have to take something very special to drag me away from my PC because it's just a worse experience on PS4 (and Xbox One).

I just find it baffling that PC's have gotten more streamlined and easier to set up while consoles which used to be plug and play have gone in the opposite direction. I think it's why I love the switch so much. Sure the OS is bare bones to a fault but it boots in seconds and if you want to play a game you are playing in a very short time (depending on the game, some more intense games have loading issues as well).

TL;DR: All console manufacturers should drop their current OS and bring back the WiiU's miiverse to all consoles.

I used to play games on PC many years ago and gave it up as the consoles were just simpler. I didn't like the fact your machine would be outdated in a matter of months. Things have no doubt changed now. Even the most deluded can't argue PC gaming has significant advantages over console.

One thing I did like about consoles was the level playing field. You weren't worried that someone you were playing against might have a huge advantage as they just had better stuff. Now with people playing with skuff controllers, using kronomax, monitors et al it's not as level as it once was. I've turned off cross play on COD which is the Rubicon I'm not prepared to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭quokula

My PS4 is in game quicker than my TV turns on :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm sorry Penn if you are hurt because I insulted your precious PS4 but facts are facts.

I'm sorry if you are hurt that I made an Ace Combat reference :confused:

Just making the point that while PC running off an SSD is obviously faster, the difference in startup times are so minimal as to not be an issue. And as you state yourself, as you rarely play your PS4 you then have to put up with a lot of updates, which is again different to most people's experiences who would be playing their console more regularly.

Facts are facts. But on the other hand, your experiences are not everyone's experiences.

Well the new consoles will boot from SSD which will hopefully alleviate a lot of the issues, although that will depend on the software engineers at Sony. They've gotten better, the PS3 OS was an utter disaster that manages to slowly commit suicide the more you install stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Of the things an SSD is better at I wouldn't have said the most beneficial would be boot times.

For me it's load times in game where it shines. Playing games like Destiny 2 and Warframe,where loading into social areas etc happens a lot it's a huge benefit. Cutting the load times in half when there's a load screen every 20/30 mins is huge over time. Ultimately you would usually turn on the console or PC once at the start so the benefit of a slightly faster time is singular.

Personally don't find the boot up times for console an issue,as others have said it's the copying process on PS4 which is much more of an issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My PS4 Pro sits on the shelf gathering dust because it is so slow and loud in comparison to my old pc. I got a new PC before Christmas and it's hard to imagine the PS4 will ever get switched on again. The 2 hours of "installation" when I bought RDR2 was absolutely unforgivable - I thought I was back in the 80's loading my Commodore 64. Add in the frustration of having to use a controller and it just makes for an overall unpleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I used to play games on PC many years ago and gave it up as the consoles were just simpler. I didn't like the fact your machine would be outdated in a matter of months. Things have no doubt changed now. Even the most deluded can't argue PC gaming has significant advantages over console.

One thing I did like about consoles was the level playing field. You weren't worried that someone you were playing against might have a huge advantage as they just had better stuff. Now with people playing with skuff controllers, using kronomax, monitors et al it's not as level as it once was. I've turned off cross play on COD which is the Rubicon I'm not prepared to cross.

Cross play on CoD is actually grand, I've only ever seen 2 PC players in the lobby, and never had an issue otherwise. Of course, a game like Call of Duty, isn't going to be scratching for players, whereas a more niche game might have a smaller pool for matchmaking.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Of the things an SSD is better at I wouldn't have said the most beneficial would be boot times.

For me it's load times in game where it shines. Playing games like Destiny 2 and Warframe,where loading into social areas etc happens a lot it's a huge benefit. Cutting the load times in half when there's a load screen every 20/30 mins is huge over time. Ultimately you would usually turn on the console or PC once at the start so the benefit of a slightly faster time is singular.

Personally don't find the boot up times for console an issue,as others have said it's the copying process on PS4 which is much more of an issue.

SSD will speed up load times but it's a small benefit. The biggest factor would be CPU speed and with how bad the consoles are in this regard, the PC just trounces them. Doesn't matter how fast you can pull data off a HDD or SSD, the big factor is decompressing all that data and sorting it into RAM which is handled by the CPU. Load times are painful on PS4 but at least most games are good at disguising it other than an initial painful load.

Cross play on CoD is actually grand, I've only ever seen 2 PC players in the lobby, and never had an issue otherwise. Of course, a game like Call of Duty, isn't going to be scratching for players, whereas a more niche game might have a smaller pool for matchmaking.

I keep hearing that and just assume it's PC players trying to lure me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If talking about the downside of the PS4 starting up, I would have to go with the fact that when it starts it selects "What's New" by default rather than the game you've been playing last

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I keep hearing that and just assume it's PC players trying to lure me in.

You can use a keyboard and mouse on your PS4 for COD.

yeah but people can tell, I couldn't life with the shame. I played COD4 on a mouse and kb with no issue, years later when I tried I could hardly move the character. I'm not so sure I could put in the effort to re-learn. I don't need to be good though skill based matchmaking takes care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If talking about the downside of the PS4 starting up, I would have to go with the fact that when it starts it selects "What's New" by default rather than the game you've been playing last

I hate when I go to select something and by the time I select it the menu auto corrects to whatever is default and it loads up some awful ****e like Shenmue 3 which I forgot to remove from the disc tray :mad:

I hate when I go to select something and by the time I select it the menu auto corrects to whatever is default and it loads up some awful ****e like Shenmue 3 which I forgot to remove from the disc tray :mad:

This.

This is the biggest issue struggle our generation must endure. And then you go and belittle our struggle and pain with unhelpful comments like:

How dare you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

SSD will speed up load times but it's a small benefit. The biggest factor would be CPU speed and with how bad the consoles are in this regard, the PC just trounces them. Doesn't matter how fast you can pull data off a HDD or SSD, the big factor is decompressing all that data and sorting it into RAM which is handled by the CPU. Load times are painful on PS4 but at least most games are good at disguising it other than an initial painful load.

Some lower end CPUs won't see that benefit even on PC. I agree in general a PC can be much quicker though,I just think the benefit is more in recurring load screens than on first boot.

When cost is taken into account I think it muddys the water a bit though,consoles are very cheap ATM.

I'm looking forward to the new consoles personally,just because I'm sick of sub 30fps performance,and that's on a PS4 Pro. Honestly playing Destiny and Warframe on PC at locked 100hz then going to PS with dips down to the 20s,it' s a different experience altogether. Let's hope the new consoles can manage 60hz,VRR is a nice addition to but I'd hope not to have to use it

Might sound like stupid PCMR talk but that's how it feels to me.

I don't think consoles will ever get out of the 30 fps rut. Graphics unfortunately are a major selling point and the graphical fidelity gains on dropping to 30 fps are just too great.

I mean this gen was meant to be a 60 fps gen....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I don't think consoles will ever get out of the 30 fps rut. Graphics unfortunately are a major selling point and the graphical fidelity gains on dropping to 30 fps are just too great.

I mean this gen was meant to be a 60 fps gen....

Yeah couldn’t agree with this more and I say that someone who doesn’t pc game right now.

Borderlands 3 is a prime example of the FPS being all over the shop.

I’m playing on pro and it runs more consistently set at 30fps. You can decrease the graphics to have 60fps but is so inconsistent it’s horrible to play imo.

Personally I’d i was given the option I’d go for 60fps to be the must have next gen but retro gamer is absolutely right. It’ll be graphics over performance again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I suspect this new gen of consoles will attempt to consolidate 4K resolution as being "better" than stable 60Hz frame rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I think it's fine that consoles go for 30, as 30 is fine for a lot of experiences and raises the baseline for visuals higher. Then you can push for 60 and above on PC, if that's what you want.

I got a PC now for that anyway. Going to be actually quite tough to keep up with things though based on how powerful the XSX looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think it's fine that consoles go for 30, as 30 is fine for a lot of experiences and raises the baseline for visuals higher. Then you can push for 60 and above on PC, if that's what you want.

I got a PC now for that anyway. Going to be actually quite tough to keep up with things though based on how powerful the XSX looks.

When you play at 60 it's very jarring to go back to 30. I never realized it until I started playing on PC. But you do get used to 30.

The biggest problem is frame pacing not 30v60. Bloodbourne was a fecker for this.

It's not being reported in most of the big games publications because, hey the next fortnite media crossover is more important than someone actually dying, but Kazuhisa Hashimoto has died.

He worked on the Gradius port to the NES and created the famous Konami code. He worked on loads of legendary games while at konami.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not being reported in most of the big games publications because, hey the next fortnite media crossover is more important than someone actually dying, but Kazuhisa Hashimoto has died.

He worked on the Gradius port to the NES and created the famous Konami code. He worked on loads of legendary games while at konami.

Did you ever think that maybe it isn't being reported in the big game publications because the person who broke the news of it happening did so only 4 hours ago and did it on Twitter where they only have 4000 followers? News typically takes a bit of time to travel.

Didn't look into it that much but when I saw it in a few other places thought it was pretty ridiculous someone so important dying was ignored.

But then in between me posting that and this post eurogamers latest article has appeared 'Fortnite's superspy update is probably the closest I'll get to a cancelled game I always wanted to play' :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shiminay wrote: »
    Yea, I suspect this new gen of consoles will attempt to consolidate 4K resolution as being "better" than stable 60Hz frame rates.

You'll be able to choose which you want to prioritise most likely. You can already do this on the most recent consoles in a lot of games so
    I don't see why they would drop it (Not that many of those games manage to hit 60 still either though)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement