Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seanad Election 2020

• 27-02-2020 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

Nominations for the university panels closed last week, with Ronan Mullen and Ruth Coppinger the most prominent names on the NUI panel, while Lynn Ruane, Ivana Bacik and David Norris are the Trinity incumbents. Needless to say, a number of defeated TDs have applied for the vocational panels, including Malcolm Byrne, Seán Kyne and Timmy Dooley. Surprisingly, there appear to be no Green nominees to these panels yet, and only two candidates each from both SF and Labour occur on the lists to date. Finally, the Soc Dems have put forward their defeated Galway West contender, Niall O'Tuathail for the Industrial and Commercial panel, but too recently to catch Adrian Kavanagh's attention yet.

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2020/02/17/elections-to-26th-seanad-2020-lists-of-nominated-declared-candidates/#more-18596

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour are having an internal whittling down of nominees for the inside subpanels. The two there already are nominated on outside subpabels. I imagine the Greens are the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour have added 4 inside subpanel candidates - Wall, Sherlock, Hoey, Moynihan - that'll be that from them now.

Actually I think Sherlock was already outside panel nominated so I'm not sure if its a case of no nomination; or on both panels somehow if that's even possible?

Greens selection is Hackett, McHugh and Pauline O'Reilly from Galway.

Still not seen a full SF list

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

Separate question - I hope this is the correct place.....

I refer to the Seanad election for the university panels (2020).

Does anyone know where one can find out the track record of each candidate. I've just received the ballot paper for the NUI panel, and even though I take a keen interest in current affairs only 4 of the 19 candidates are familiar to me - and only because they are prominent politicians. I don't want to depend on election blurb without fact-checking. Also, I am more interested in voting for "the person", than for a party.
    I'm resident in Ireland but this must be even more of a problem for those who reside elsewhere.
    With most other elections, (general, MEP, presidential, by-elections) one can be informed by TV debates and some fact-checking by informed political commentators. Am I missing something? Any good suggestions?

No NUI candidates are running as a party member albeit some actually are. You should receive a Litir um Togchain from most of the candidates before polling date although I've only seen a Higgins one so far (for my partner, my English degree gets nothing!) which will give you some ideas.

• Advertisement

Adrian Kavanagh has some or all of the SF inside nominations up now - Lynn Boylan, Elisha McCallion being the big names

They have to be careful not to run too many as their very poor showing in May 19 has seriously depleted the vote base and I suspect the other parties councillors will be a lot more cautious with transfers to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to know what candidates say about themselves, but what their track record is, like a fact-check on their CV.
    For example, if someone has been on a governing body or a county council, what their voting record is, and if they've been company managers or in professional positions (in public bodies, or private companies, private practice or freelance) I would like to know if they have convictions for fraud, or if they have significant achievements, etc.
    I'm wondering for example, if a competent job interviewer would volunteer to do a thorough job interview with each candidate in turn and put it on YouTube.

Effort to reward ratio of that, as well as the relatively limited time to do it mean it will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It seems that some candidates are running for both NUI and TCD panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

L1011 wrote: »
    Effort to reward ratio of that, as well as the relatively limited time to do it mean it will never happen

Yep, you'd be lucky to get that kind of detail on a Dail candidate, tbh, unless they've held national office already
    Geuze wrote: »
    It seems that some candidates are running for both NUI and TCD panels?

AFAIK you don't need to be a graduate of either of them to run.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Who's best to vote for if I want Ronan Mullen out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

McDowell and Higgins will be elected anyway, so Rory Hearne seems the challenger with the best chance of displacing Mullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Catherine Noone for the win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Frogdog wrote: »

I don't think it would make a difference, Mullen will do very well with the St. Pats graduates from Maynooth.

I remember looking at his previous results and he does very well on the first count and then gets very few transfers thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

McDowell and Higgins will be elected anyway, so Rory Hearne seems the challenger with the best chance of displacing Mullen.

What about Ruth Coppinger?

What about Ruth Coppinger?

Too radical for most, considering the demographics, whereas Hearne at least dresses his left campaigning in academic terms.

One suggestion I've seen is stick with H - Hearne, Higgins, Harmon - as the nearest opposites of Mullen.

Transfer to nearly everyone else too though, on the basis that even if you dislike them you dislike Mullen more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

L1011 wrote: »
    One suggestion I've seen is stick with H - Hearne, Higgins, Harmon - as the nearest opposites of Mullen.

Transfer to nearly everyone else too though, on the basis that even if you dislike them you dislike Mullen more!

That's what I've done, I think I spent about 20 minutes doing research just to sort out my 7th/8th/9th etc. preferences. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hopefully Mullen's disgraceful behaviour during the referendum campaign a couple of years ago has encouraged a lot more NUI graduates to get registered and vote!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Didn't Coppinger call the Seanad "classist'' (she'd be correct) a while back?

• Advertisement

First count in the Cultural and Educational panel:

https://twitter.com/OireachtasNews/status/1244667807645732864

Not sure why they didn't eliminate Walsh, Flynn and Conroy in one go as their combined votes cannot catch Maher *or* get Warfield elected yet. Just makes the glory of seeing Conroy (the worst public representative I have ever encountered) get eliminated slower and more glorious though.

Up to the ninth count now, and it seems the transfers between FF and FG candidates could squeeze out the Greens:

https://twitter.com/OireachtasNews/status/1244716661397164046

• Advertisement

McGahon (of the Louth FG dynasty) leaps into second:

https://twitter.com/OireachtasNews/status/1244732607625154564

Advertisement