Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair 2 small holes in floor

Options
  • 26-02-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weekends I've been trying to remove the seat from my W123, one of the 4 mounting bolts was seized so I kept on applying WD40. The bolts go from the seat frame to a bracket welded to the floor and and the nut is held onto the bracket via a clip, with a captive nut on the underside.

I noticed the WD40 dripping onto the ground and saw that a previous idiot (not the guy I bought from I'd say) of an owner had used a much longer than standard bolt which was protruding through the floor. I'm unsure if it punched though as it was tightened, or if a hole was drilled for it!

So now I have 2 holes in the floor and from what I can see the floor is still solid, maybe my efforts to loosen disturbed underseal over them. I applied rust stop. Given that it's in the seat bracket area, and the seatbelt clips into the seat itself I'm worried about safety.

Obviously this needs a plate to be welded in and new underseal, but for a temp fix I was thinking to drill out the holes to clean the area (M8 bolt so use 10 or 12 mm drill), apply epoxy resin, and new underseal.

What do you think of my plan, any other suggestions?

For the underseal will this do?
    https://www.vinnybyrne.com/custom-aerosols-paint/rust-conversion-products/stone-chip-protection.html

Pics show top and bottom of floor (with bolt still in place) - I got seat out but forgot to take pic, all looks very solid from top.

Thank you!

IMG-20200208-110925.jpg

IMG-20200208-110858.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If your only looking for a temporary fix just use a bit of chemical metal for small holes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi, thanks. I'm not familiar with that, could you suggest a suitable product?

xBzRABu

This is the stuff, can be got in any autofactors.
    It's like blue tac but once it goes off it's extremely strong.

Sorry for some reason I can't seem to post an image.

Hi thanks, don't see any pics but I'll ask for it. Sounds like it it the right stuff!

EDIT

like this?

s-l300.jpg

• Advertisement

xBzRABu

If you Google Cargo Quiksteel.

See it! I'll look out for some.

Thank you!

dvKcPFi.jpg

At freaking last!

At freaking last!

Well done :) I'll try to get it locally and if not order it online. Hopefully get a dry weekend soon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi thanks, don't see any pics but I'll ask for it. Sounds like it it the right stuff!

EDIT

like this?

s-l300.jpg

Thats the same stuff, liquid metal.:)

Thanks!

Any thoughts on my plan and if this will work for underseal? I assume I'll need to remove the existing underseal a few cm around the hole?

https://www.vinnybyrne.com/custom-ae...rotection.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thanks!

Any thoughts on my plan and if this will work for underseal? I assume I'll need to remove the existing underseal a few cm around the hole?

https://www.vinnybyrne.com/custom-ae...rotection.html

Rough sand around the hole, to give a key to the putty.

When its hard you will still have to seal the area from moisture.

Temporary seal, seam sealer, tec 7 or similar would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Try your best, silicone the rest.

Advertisement