Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Waters

• 20-02-2020 5:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Saw this last night.
    Spoilers just in case..
    Jaw open for most of it. I googled some.. SOME of the court cases, and seems this film doesn't over exaggerate anything.

Don't know if there's any truth that DuPonts share price fell on release of this, but they deserve everything they get.

Eye opening film.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Is it any good OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Is it any good OP?

It's a bit dragged out in some parts.. but i think they were trying to get the viewer to care about DuPonts victims.

I don't know about anyone else, but i was too enraged by the subject matter to care about script, acting, sound or cinematography if you get me.

But, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

There's a decent documentary I saw a while back on BBC's Storyville series called "The Devil We Know" that deals with this I believe.
    Not sure if this is in the film so I'll spoiler tag it but one of the eye opening parts of the doc was when they were trying to find a blood sample without any trace of the chemical in it to compare and they couldn't find any world wide.
    They ended up using blood that was stored since WW2 and hence couldn't have been contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Im gonna go see this weekend, Looks kind of like "Michael clayton". If its half as good as that movie then it'll be worth a trip to the cinema.

tunguska wrote: »
    Im gonna go see this weekend, Looks kind of like "Michael clayton". If its half as good as that movie then it'll be worth a trip to the cinema.

nothing like "Michael Clayton" really.

"Dark Waters" is not a thriller movie like "Michael Clayton", it's a drama movie.

But it's worth seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

glasso wrote: »
    nothing like "Michael Clayton" really.

"Dark Waters" is not a thriller movie like "Michael Clayton", it's a drama movie.

But it's worth seeing.

Im wasnt talking about genre, I was referring to the subject matter, i.e. a big corporation poisoning the environment around a small town.

tunguska wrote: »

Im wasnt talking about genre, I was referring to the subject matter, i.e. a big corporation poisoning the environment around a small town.

ok. but having seen both, they are nothing alike as movies.

you did say "kind of like"...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I watched it over the weekend and enjoyed it. I though Mark Ruffelo was great portraying Rob Bilott.
    Some of the stuff seemed far fetched but as posted above a quick google will confirm this.
    Just like many other pharma and chemical companies if we knew the half of it we wouldnt use any man made products

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mark Ruffalo is also producer

I did enjoy Erin Brockovich and A Civil Action so must try and see this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it yesterday, and I thought it was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Went to see it yesterday. Ruffalo was very good in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it earlier and I really liked it. Its equal parts a tale about corporate greed and about what happens to people when they bite the hand that feeds them. For me the latter was the most interesting story arc, how mark Ruffalo's lawyer is turned on by those he thought were friends and colleagues, once his investigations start to threaten the corporation that keeps the gravy train running. I guess that's the real test in life, to keep going and pursuing what you know to be right even if everyone around you turns against you and tries to stop you. Ruffalo is very good, as always, Anne Hathaway is a bit annoying tbh, she overcooks her performance just a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched it today; gotta be honest, it was a slow film- if it wasn't for Ruffalo, I think I might have turned it off at the half-hour mark. It's good that he took this is on though (as producer as well), as his understated performance didn't take away from the story; a frustratingly drawn out civil action against a huge local company with massive financial clout. This may be a familiar trope but this is one where there are a large array of vested interests from different angles to maintain the status quo- including innocent victims who live in a community dependent on such an employer- all the while stacking against Ruffalo's character.
    Great performance from Tim Robbins as well, also being understated (thought Anne Hathaway was fine as well).
    Slow, but thought-provoking, in the way that a non-Hollywood-style film's take- with Hollywood actors- informs in a more thoughtful way than a documentary could.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Went last night. Amazing, these big companies are a law unto themselves what with the huge level of political clout they have, and what is dealt with in the film is just the stuff we know about; there is probably loads of crap they have been getting away with for years and keeping under wraps.
    Would make you really angry.
    Highly recommend it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Just back from the cinema. Fan of Todd Haynes work, loved Carol, Safe and Far From Heaven. This was quite different and is more of a straight on drama. It's maybe reminiscent of Erin Brockovich with the story about a lawyer and a massive chemical company polluting a community.

The story with teflon shocked me. I had no idea. When I was a student I used to cook with one of those pans and when it would get too hot it would make a weird smell. I felt sick sitting in the cinema when it all comes to.

It's a decent film, Ruffalo carries most of it, kind of felt it went on a little bit too long, had a good pace but then the whole story was 20 years in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

So I just finished watching it. In the process of throwing out my teflon pans. This **** was known since the 70s brought to light in the 90s and it was only in 2015 that the PFOA chemical was banned. 99% of all humans have some trace of it in them "forever chemical" as they are called which there are 600 of them.
    More people need to see this film.

Advertisement