Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa clubs North Dublin - new players

Options
  • 22-03-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Are any clubs on the north side of dublin looking for players at a junior b or even c level. Looking to get back into some type of sports would be from a soccer backround but would feel like I could hold my own if I could get the fitness sorted. Always wanted to give gaa a fair shake just afraid I missed the boat. Really what im wondering is if I've no affiliation with a club growing up is there any point trying to join one at this stage ? Or how to even go about it if I don't know any one starting off ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I posted this on the sticky threads at the top of the GAA forum yesterday, but it didn't get much traction or replies. Decided to post here rather than start a new thread!

I'm 26, will be 27 this year.

Played football for the club in Tyrone from 5 the whole way up to minor. Stopped after that

Like many lads I went to Oz for a year, then america. Now living in Dublin for 2 years.

My 3 closest clubs are: St. Brigid's Castleknock/Blanch,
    St Oliver Plunkett's off Navan road, Ashtown & Cabra.
    Castleknock,
    St. Brendan's Grangegorman (a lad in work tried to get me to head out with them)
    Although I live in ashtown/royal canal park so I'm sure there are plenty of other clubs in glasnevin and finglas.

If there was ever a man that made excuses, and talked about going out to training - it's me!

Anyway - I've got as far as texting the Oliver Plunketts and Caastleknock coaches of the 2nd/3rd team. But I haven't went.

Training has been 9pm on Tues & Thurs nights.

I don't know what it is, keep telling myself I'm not fit enough, I've put on about 2 stone in the last few years and have a bit of a belly!.

I know the years are passing by, it's the fear of the unknown I suppose, but I don't have much of a network since moving down to dublin. I need to branch out and mix with other lads and stop clinging onto the 3/4 northerners I know,

To be brutally honest, it's the coming home from work after a long day, pissing rain, knowing that you've to get up again and head over to a pitch after 7:30/8pm at night.

Apologies for the rant!! I just need a good kick up the hole. It's been on my mind for a long time. I went as far as driving to training one night a couple of weeks ago, and turned round when I got there out of pure fear and oddness.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dk1982

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I posted this on the sticky threads at the top of the GAA forum yesterday, but it didn't get much traction or replies. Decided to post here rather than start a new thread!

I'm 26, will be 27 this year.

Played football for the club in Tyrone from 5 the whole way up to minor. Stopped after that

Like many lads I went to Oz for a year, then america. Now living in Dublin for 2 years.

My 3 closest clubs are: St. Brigid's Castleknock/Blanch,
    St Oliver Plunkett's off Navan road, Ashtown & Cabra.
    Castleknock,
    St. Brendan's Grangegorman (a lad in work tried to get me to head out with them)
    Although I live in ashtown/royal canal park so I'm sure there are plenty of other clubs in glasnevin and finglas.

If there was ever a man that made excuses, and talked about going out to training - it's me!

Anyway - I've got as far as texting the Oliver Plunketts and Caastleknock coaches of the 2nd/3rd team. But I haven't went.

Training has been 9pm on Tues & Thurs nights.

I don't know what it is, keep telling myself I'm not fit enough, I've put on about 2 stone in the last few years and have a bit of a belly!.

I know the years are passing by, it's the fear of the unknown I suppose, but I don't have much of a network since moving down to dublin. I need to branch out and mix with other lads and stop clinging onto the 3/4 northerners I know,

To be brutally honest, it's the coming home from work after a long day, pissing rain, knowing that you've to get up again and head over to a pitch after 7:30/8pm at night.

Apologies for the rant!! I just need a good kick up the hole. It's been on my mind for a long time. I went as far as driving to training one night a couple of weeks ago, and turned round when I got there out of pure fear and oddness.

Just do it. Once you get over the initial awkwardness and get to know the lads (who more than likely will be sound and very welcoming), you'll be delighted you did it. I did the same when I moved to Dublin, with 2 different clubs infact one on southside and one in north county Dublin when I moved there, and it was the best thing I ever did. Was welcomed with open arms to both clubs and have made friends for life . I get the whole dread of going training after a long day of work, but you're glad you did it when its done and its all worth it when you're winning matches in the summer and heading off for pints with the lads to celebrate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

dk1982 wrote: »
    Just do it. Once you get over the initial awkwardness and get to know the lads (who more than likely will be sound and very welcoming), you'll be delighted you did it. I did the same when I moved to Dublin, with 2 different clubs infact one on southside and one in north county Dublin when I moved there, and it was the best thing I ever did. Was welcomed with open arms to both clubs and have made friends for life . I get the whole dread of going training after a long day of work, but you're glad you did it when its done and its all worth it when you're winning matches in the summer and heading off for pints with the lads to celebrate.

Most importantly the pints!! :-D

Advertisement