Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Antenatal classes in UCHG

• 22-02-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I thought I might get more answers here than in the pregnancy thread. We are first time parents and want to attend antenatal classes in UCHG. Has anyone done these classes recently and can tell us a bit about them? Were they helpful and how many classes did you do?

They seem to do a 3 class session which are two hours each week for 3 weeks, but they are called Women only classes. There's doesn't seem to be any for father's to be. Website is very confusing to read.

Also if anyone knows if you are entitled to paid time off for these classes. Citizens information says mother's get paid time off work to attend one set of antenatal classes, other than the last 3 classes in a set. What does "other than the last 3 classes" mean? I only want to attend the three classes in UCHG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭smurfette2212

Hi there!

I attended these classes a little while ago. First bit of advice, book them early! They book up really fast. The website is confusing, to be fair. They are all technically women-only. If you do the three separate classes, your partner can attend the third one, and if you do the one-day class, they just attend in the afternoon.

The first class is about prep for labour, the second is with a physio and the third has more about pain relief options / how to fit a car seat / how to change a nappy! There is also a tour of the labour ward.

I’m not sure about entitlements, as my job just gave me the time off for all three, so I can’t be much help there!

I would really recommend them to be honest. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭buzz11

We did class in UCGH and separate private antenatal class run by a Doula...lots to learn in both but the private one is really good and detailed, would calm any nervous/unsure parents.

The UCHG dad session is fairly limited to logistics, car seat fitting and tour of the labour ward...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Myself and the girlfriend done the classes (only the last class for partners). I found it beneficial. They try and show you around and talk about various scenarios (emergancy caesarean section) and what will happen to try and prepare you in case.

well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

We looked into doing them but like that I found it horrible that all the classes were women only classes.. Really bad form i think, i know they list a class but conveniently it is all booked up (when you try to book online) and like said the one that well male partners can attend is a class on how to fit a car seat! Because of course that is all they will be doing shame, shame, shame..

So we took the tour of the hospital and then booked the Doula to come out to our house, and we had a one on one session with her. Found this to be fantastic..So would highly recommend this or to go to the their classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Milly33 wrote: »
    We looked into doing them but like that I found it horrible that all the classes were women only classes.. Really bad form i think, i know they list a class but conveniently it is all booked up (when you try to book online) and like said the one that well male partners can attend is a class on how to fit a car seat! Because of course that is all they will be doing shame, shame, shame..

So we took the tour of the hospital and then booked the Doula to come out to our house, and we had a one on one session with her. Found this to be fantastic..So would highly recommend this or to go to the their classes.

I can’t believe in this day and age that their antenatal classes are women only. Especially for labour. That’s the bit they need to be informed about.

• Advertisement

I believe it's due to numbers and space to accommodate. understaffed tends to be the norm in the HSA, unless it's admin or management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

And maybe they can’t presume that the dad is always around.

They also only allow one person to accompany the mother to be during the scans.

nope sorry no excuse for it, if it was the other way around women would be up in arms about it.. It is'nt down to numbers or space, they have the space to do the ladies glasses so why cant partners go..it is like the toilet issue which is one to watch out for, unless you have a private room when you are in the labour ward or pre labour ward your husband, partner or well man whatever situation you are in has to go around to where you go in for your apps that one little mans loo they have there, or else into the main hospital.. We found them very dismissive of my husband with our first baby, very well what do you know kind of attitude..

Toilets in rooms are meant for patients only and not any visitors.

• Advertisement

nope sorry no excuse for it, if it was the other way around women would be up in arms about it..

Well if the ultimate in equality ever occurs and men can birth babies, their partners can be up in arms then.

Is it any partner that can’t attend classes, or just male partners?

i think there were few birth partners there when i did it. As i understand it the first two classes were more about exercises to prepare for birth, Possible positions to give birth, perineum massage techniques & breastfeeding or formula feeding.

I honestly don't think i missed out on anything during the first 2 lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

topcat77 wrote: »
    They also only allow one person to accompany the mother to be during the scans.

Well that’s fair enough to be honest.

Well that’s fair enough to be honest.

i total agree, just letting people know.

your partner, husband, or sidekick is hardly a visitor when you are in labour, sad if that is the way some people think..

Anywho sure best of luck with it OP..

your partner, husband, or sidekick is hardly a visitor when you are in labour, sad if that is the way some people think..

Anywho sure best of luck with it OP..
    We're not exactly delivering the baby either.

From my memory the training rooms were crowded, and most of the topics are directly aimed at the mothers to be, the tour was interesting, the new baby skills was interesting as it was totally new to me but most of the rest was mostly relevant to the mothers.

The second time around training was funny - do ye remember what ye did the first time? Yes, grand, do that again.

Advertisement