Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How come RTE would never play The Truman Show?

Options
  • 22-02-2020 10:28pm
    Site Banned Posts: 38

It's considered a famous movie, but yet I'd probably have never heard of it if it wasn't for my leaving cert. How come you'd never see this played on RTE? Not even at Christmas time.

I can see why they wouldn't give it a prime slot, but I've noticed they seem to play other less well known movies quite consistently late at night. Like 'The Prince of Tides' for example... I've noticed that they seem to play that about once every 6 months late in the night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Possibly someone else has the rights, same way we they never show "Elf" at Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Could have sworn RTE2 used to show it. Going back years ago of course.

Rte must not have the rights. Interesting tidbit about rights is that channels don't purchase individual movie rights. They buy "packs" if you will from distributers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sky have exclusivity on the vast majority of movies available so block terrestrial from getting them. The distributers only give over the blockbusters like Bond, Indiana Jones and Pirates for vast fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Vividly remember that being one of their "Big Big Movie" showings on the weekend as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

They probably have. I've seen it & probably on rte.It's 22 years old. 1998.What timeframe have you been checking?
    If they haven't played it do you think there's some kind of conspiracy, might YOU be also participating unwittingly in your own RTE show??

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 38 Premeditated Joke

lalababa wrote: »
    They probably have. I've seen it & probably on rte.It's 22 years old. 1998.What timeframe have you been checking?
    If they haven't played it do you think there's some kind of conspiracy, might YOU be also participating unwittingly in your own RTE show??
    It's just an example of a well known movie that they wouldn't play. There are other examples of movies that aren't as good and that are older that they consistently play every once in a while. I'd love if TV channels got a bit more creative in their choice of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's just an example of a well known movie that they wouldn't play. There are other examples of movies that aren't as good and that are older that they consistently play every once in a while. I'd love if TV channels got a bit more creative in their choice of movies.

Try subscribing to some movie channels. Free channels are limited in what they can show & how many "good movies" they can afford to pay for each year

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Not sure why they never showed it, but if I don't see y'all in the mornin' well good afternoon, good evening and good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Because they’re afraid Tubridy will see it and question why he’s never been outside Montrose.

Has it aged well as a movie? I've rewatched a lot of movies of it's time recently and didn't enjoy them as much as I did originally. Some I enjoyed even more though.

Definitely enjoyed the Truman Show when it came out, god I feel old :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A weirdly specific movie to choose, I honestly don't get the point being made here. Why don't RTE play any movie? The Truman Show was a good movie, but not sure how it's particularly scandalous RTE don't show it. How many movies have come out of the Hollywood System? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Can't show em all.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Try subscribing to some movie channels. Free channels are limited in what they can show & how many "good movies" they can afford to pay for each year
    I wasn't born yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

This entertainment.ie post would seem to indicate RTE 1 did show the truman Show at 12:35 am c 10 years ago;

https://entertainment.ie/tv-highlights/jaws-2-325429/
    While we're at it, would you believe RTE1 are showing You've Got Mail at a reasonable hour, while The Truman Show and Rebel Without a Cause are on at the ungodly hours of 12.35am and 2.25am respectively?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Perhaps they don't show it in OP's reality?

Niska wrote: »
    This entertainment.ie post would seem to indicate RTE 1 did show the truman Show at 12:35 am c 10 years ago;

https://entertainment.ie/tv-highlights/jaws-2-325429/
    Oh interesting. Did it take you long to find that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Oh interesting. Did it take you long to find that?
    Couple minutes with Google (as long as you use "truman show")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

RTÉ once screened Polanski's Cul-de-sac in the morning thinking it was suitable for kids because it was in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

vriesmays wrote: »
    RTÉ once screened Polanski's Cul-de-sac in the morning thinking it was suitable for kids because it was in black and white.

Well it's a 12A rated film so I don't see the problem with it.

Did RTE tell you they showed it because it was in Black & White?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Has you even seen the film, they screened it at about 9 in the morning for kids.

Advertisement